Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I’ve loved my 7+ since buying
it; but lately I just can’t deal with its size in the pocket, for some reason. Don’t know what changed...

I swapped my SIM into my wife’s old iPhone 6 over the holidays (our “backup phone”), and have been loving how small & light the phone is. It also runs acceptably well on iOS 12.

...But I don’t love the camera or battery life, so actually I am indeed considering picking up an iPhone 8, to replace my 7+. I know the 8 won’t even be as light as this 6, but I guess it’s the best choice. An XS would be even heavier, and $400 more expensive.
I went from the 7 Plus to the XR to the 8. First day taking it to work was today and I got home with 46% battery life. The XR would be around 60-70%. That being said, the smaller size/weight of the 8 is much better for me and a welcomed change.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Whoa!!!!! 7.2!!!!! The max is huge!!! Can’t imagine having a bigger phone but hey to each their own.
Lol I'm the same way, I wouldn't go any bigger but some are stating that they want something bigger and he was mentioning Android phones.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I’m actually testing an xr again. I think I’m gonna sell my xs max. I kinda like the smaller form factor, but still shows the same real estate as the max.

solarmon

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
For crying out loud. How about a few phones that fit comfortably in a front pocket?

Anyone "downgraded" to the regular 7 or 8 in the wake of all this maxification?

Tried the 6 for a year until the SE came out. Recently believed my SE was broken, ordered a 7, then thankfully discovered the SE was fine. Sent the 7 back. Did not like the size and weight of either the 6 or the 7. Would never get an even bigger phone.

So, yes, Apple doesn’t make a phone for me right now. Hope that changes. Maybe it can be called the iPhone Mini, but please, no bigger than the SE, if smaller, great!

montycat

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
For crying out loud. How about a few phones that fit comfortably in a front pocket?

Anyone "downgraded" to the regular 7 or 8 in the wake of all this maxification?
I had to use my 5s for a few days while my iPhone x was being repaired. I really do miss the smaller phone and it fit perfect in my front pocket. I hope Apple offers the 5se again. I think its the perfect size.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
Why not get the LTE Watch and leave the phone at home? No pockets, no worries. After 20+ years of carrying a phone, it’s quite liberating. And there are accessories to make it into a necklace or pocket watch.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
No, because I do stuff on my phone that is a better experience with a larger screen.

I remember trying to read and respond to posts on this forum on my 5S. Looking back, it was laughable.

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2017
UK
I had a Plus size throughout the 6+, 6s+ and 7+ - but then got the X last year. I find that a much better size for me carrying around and this year I have gone for the Xs instead of the Max. No regrets. When I see people with a Max they look massive, but I prefer to use my 12.9” iPad Pro when I want larger screen to do more than snap a photo, make a quick reply, or do web look-up.

I in no way miss the 4s or 5s - they were painfully small!

Last edited:
Reactions: Azathoth123

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Take the screen of the 6/7/8 and remove the top/bottom bezels and that’s the phone id want.

Was thinking that today while using an 8, but then I remembered how useful the bezels are: place to hold the phone, have speakers, etc. Maybe a bit smaller, yes, but not bezel-less.
[doublepost=1545765933][/doublepost]
Tried the 6 for a year until the SE came out. Recently believed my SE was broken, ordered a 7, then thankfully discovered the SE was fine. Sent the 7 back. Did not like the size and weight of either the 6 or the 7. Would never get an even bigger phone.

So, yes, Apple doesn’t make a phone for me right now. Hope that changes. Maybe it can be called the iPhone Mini, but please, no bigger than the SE, if smaller, great!

Isn't the SE thicker than the 6/7/8?
[doublepost=1545766108][/doublepost]
iPhone 6 over the holidays (our “backup phone”), and have been loving how small & light the phone is. It also runs acceptably well on iOS 12

6 does indeed run decently on iOS 12.

I sure hope Apple does not mess things up w/ an iOS upgrade that kills all these phones.

Reactions: subjonas

hipsheik

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2008
Not me!

Love my MAX. Could not be more happy.

Do not want larger but will never go to anything smaller.

I have owned every iPhone and the MAX is easily my favorite.

Not sure if you make phone calls, but I noticed my XR is much more comfortable to hold than an 8 plus for a phone call.

The 8 plus was never comfortable for a long phone call. It was just too big.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
No, because I do stuff on my phone that is a better experience with a larger screen.

I remember trying to read and respond to posts on this forum on my 5S. Looking back, it was laughable.

Yes there’s a minimun size for comfortable use, but that seems in many cases (like mine) to depend on age and eyes. Up to age 40+, my eyes were fantastic and I could have used anything.

I used an iPhone 4s in France in 2014 and it wasn’t easy but it did work. The Plus/Max seem a little large, and the X/XS is kind of Goldilocks size for a phone - but more portable than a 12.9” iPad (which I dearly love and travel with).

Altogether, I’d rather carry a (slightly) smaller phone and a tablet if I had my ‘druthers’ (coloquial for ‘I’d rather’)

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2017
UK
Yes there’s a minimun size for comfortable use, but that seems in many cases (like mine) to depend on age and eyes. Up to age 40+, my eyes were fantastic and I could have used anything.

I used an iPhone 4s in France in 2014 and it wasn’t easy but it did work. The Plus/Max seem a little large, and the X/XS is kind of Goldilocks size for a phone - but more portable than a 12.9” iPad (which I dearly love and travel with).

Altogether, I’d rather carry a (slightly) smaller phone and a tablet if I had my ‘druthers’ (coloquial for ‘I’d rather’)
That is very much my thinking too! IPhone Xs when I am on the move and to keep on my person. IPad Pro 12.9” if seated and for any prolonged use. Great combination!

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
Was thinking that today while using an 8, but then I remembered how useful the bezels are: place to hold the phone, have speakers, etc. Maybe a bit smaller, yes, but not bezel-less.
[doublepost=1545765933][/doublepost]

Isn't the SE thicker than the 6/7/8?
[doublepost=1545766108][/doublepost]

6 does indeed run decently on iOS 12.

I sure hope Apple does not mess things up w/ an iOS upgrade that kills all these phones.

I’m bezel agnostic (I mostly hold my 7 by the sides which already have minimal bezels, but I also don’t mind them as much as some). I simply want an overall device that’s a little smaller than the 6. As a mobile device I value an easy single handed tool over a big canvas for doing more. The SE was a decent option but apple killed it, and the entire industry seems to favour 5” and up screens. :(

Reactions: JamiLynee

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
No. I’ve always wanted a bigger phone than the iPhones before the 6+ and jumped on the phablet wagon with the 6+, 6S+ and the 7+. Last year I upgraded to the X and would’ve rather upgraded to the XS Max if it had came out last year. I’m still using my X and will upgrade to whatever X Max come out next year. I love my X but sometimes I hate the X screen size. I can never go back to any phone under 5.8 inches.

Last edited:

Marekul

Suspended
Jan 2, 2018
Not sure if you make phone calls, but I noticed my XR is much more comfortable to hold than an 8 plus for a phone call.

The 8 plus was never comfortable for a long phone call. It was just too big.
had the 6, 6plus went to apple store to give the X a look.... was shocked - felt like a brick.
Not even interested in XR after learning about its dimensions.
Went back to SE when 6plus died of touch disease.
Will be going to android because of high prices pared with poor durability.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Plus sizes? I remember when cellphones were the size of 12 inch shoes lol. How times have changed. The fact of the matter is the iPhone should really not be called an iPhone. Their function goes beyond phones.

I personally would list “phone” function on the bottom part.
As Steve Jobs said, “internet communication device.” But iPhone just sound better at the time and helped people grasp what it is. But it’s so much more than just A phone. I don’t even put the phone app icon on the dock. Ok where am I headed here.lol rant over.

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2017
UK
I think the reason different people like such different size iPhones is their different use.

Some people consider the iPhone just a quick reference device on the move and they use an iPad or MacBook for most online usage- for those people the easy carrying small iPhone may be preferred.

Then for others, they don’t even posssess a tablet or laptop- and in this case use their iPhone for everything including games and video playing. Obviously they will prefer a Max size phone.

Then those that always wear jacket or carry handbag. A Max size causes them no inconvenience, so they will also naturally go for larger phone with easier viewing.

We are all different. There is no right or wrong answer. Go for what suits your requirements and lifestyle. It is good there is a choice and we have left the days of having no alternative to the 3.5” screen

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
I think the reason different people like such different size iPhones is their different use.

Some people consider the iPhone just a quick reference device on the move and they use an iPad or MacBook for most online usage- for those people the easy carrying small iPhone may be preferred.

Then for others, they don’t even posssess a tablet or laptop- and in this case use their iPhone for everything including games and video playing. Obviously they will prefer a Max size phone.

Then those that always wear jacket or carry handbag. A Max size causes them no inconvenience, so they will also naturally go for larger phone with easier viewing.

We are all different. There is no right or wrong answer. Go for what suits your requirements and lifestyle. It is good there is a choice and we have left the days of having no alternative to the 3.5” screen

Yeah, I've found the X/XS to be really the maximum size for one handed use, if someone needs that.
Even though I could reach all sides on a Max, it's not comfortable with prolonged use.

Otherwise, a Max or Plus is very comfortable in a 2 handed mode, for me at least. Use one hand to stabilize and the other to press the screen. You lose that one handed use, but gain all that horizontal space (just for those that appreciate it).
I always text and browse with 2 hands anyway, so it doesn't matter, but YMMV. I find larger screen phones to be more immersive, but realize they aren't a good fit for everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.