Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I’m puzzled about all the posts of the Max and Plus size phones fitting in front pockets. No problem while standing, but are you saying the phone still fits nicely in that front pocket while you’re sitting? That’s hard to imagine for this oldster and my Mom jeans. Even a 6-8 in a case is uncomfortable for me there while seated.

Yes. My Max is fine in front pocket while sitting. In the summer I exclusively wear Polo pull-overs so the phone has to go in front pants pocket. So far, so good. Same as it was with my 6s Plus.

tinedarix

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2018
For crying out loud. How about a few phones that fit comfortably in a front pocket?

Anyone "downgraded" to the regular 7 or 8 in the wake of all this maxification?

Just downgraded to the 7...sick of the large phones. Happy using a smaller phone along with my iPad Pro for work / when a larger screen is needed.

Reactions: subjonas

BigG94

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
I don't think it's "just something to gripe about." I think it's a real issue for some folks. And I say that knowing and conceding that the battle is lost.
[doublepost=1544903823][/doublepost]
The X/XS is the perfect size.

I'd much prefer the X ... the XS is out of my price range ... but the reason I'm going with the XR is that you get so much more bang for the buck, even buying it new as opposed to a used X, plus the XR comes in the 128 gig sweet spot. 64 isn't enough for me, 256 is overkill.

Spoon!

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2018
I can’t do small phones anymore. I get the biggest iPhone I can get. I use the GPS a lot on road trips and having a giant map is very helpful. That and showing people videos and photos and whatnot is a lot nicer on a huge arse screen.
[doublepost=1544904929][/doublepost]
Anybody getting tired of people just finding something to complain about?
Reminds me of this:

9sxkkl.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Brenster

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I don't think it's "just something to gripe about." I think it's a real issue for some folks. And I say that knowing and conceding that the battle is lost.
[doublepost=1544903823][/doublepost]

I'd much prefer the X ... the XS is out of my price range ... but the reason I'm going with the XR is that you get so much more bang for the buck, even buying it new as opposed to a used X, plus the XR comes in the 128 gig sweet spot. 64 isn't enough for me, 256 is overkill.

Yep I have the X too and I’m keeping it until I have my upgrade next year and I’ll evaluate what Apple is offering. Having the X there was absolutely no reason to upgrade to the XS.

Serickjr

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2017
Size MATTERS!!! The bigger the better for me... I LOVE my X, I upgraded to the X because I always have to have the latest & greatest but I really miss the plus size of my previous 7+. I can’t wait to upgrade to the Xs Max in January!!

PS8409

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2013
The iPhone XS Max is the same footprint as iPhone 6S+. If anything it’s actually smaller. If they make a bigger phone I will definitely want it. I have an XS Max and I love it. Minus the notch. But it’s tolerable. And Apple will one day remove it and pretend like it’s the first phone without a notch since everyone else is following suite just to try to make their phones look more Apple-like.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
For crying out loud. How about a few phones that fit comfortably in a front pocket?

Size is a preference. Some people (men) have big hands and want big phones.

My little (retired) mother is a small lady, but she's the type that carries one of those BIG ladies bags that fits everything, because she keeps everything inside and is always prepared and utilitarian, the same reason she has a big Plus-sized iPhone…. because she uses it for everything, she just throws her huge iPhone into her oversized bag when not in use. That's her style preference and not once has she ever complained about her iPhone being too big.

I will agree with you, however, that Apple should keep at least 1 or 2 "small phone" models for people who do want pocketability and compactness. To be honest, I think everything goes around in cycles. The trend (up to 2018) were the big phones, but that trend/hype was started by Samsung more than a couple years ago. Trends come and go. I think that smaller/compact full-featured phones may return in great numbers once again…. maybe in a year or two.
[doublepost=1544908315][/doublepost]
I'm sticking with my 8 until Apple sees sense and gives us another SE-sized phone. This bloat-phone arms race needs to come to an end.

I loathe the trend of bigger and bigger and bigger HDTV screens. It's almost hilarious that some many people have these huge widescreen 55" HDTVs, and the screen often takes up an entire wall of their tiny homes. When will that trend die down?

Last edited:

Zadigre

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

I had an iPhone 6s Plus. “Downgraded” to the iPhone 7 because I prefer a smaller phone... and now with my iPhone X. Perfect size for me!

x86dude

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2017
Aus
I have just upgraded from iphone 5 to Xs. (au$ 1630).
Defefinitly nothing bigger.

I think size is now like shoes where a range of choices needs to be manufactured.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What’s the point of complaining when you can buy the smaller phones?

The smaller phones are not that much ‘smaller’, though. When I think small, I think of the 4” SE, which obviously has been discontinued. In the smart phone era, we have become subjected to larger devices to being the norm, for some, They never adjust, or simply refuse too.

Reactions: Moonjumper

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

As I was just saying in another thread, my 8 Plus fits just fine in my front pockets. After a year with a plus sized phone doesn’t even feel like a big phone to me. It just feels normal and anything smaller feels too small.

Chevelle

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
I don’t know why you’d be tired of it when there’s lots of options but I may have hit the limit. I used an X for a year and just traded it in on an XS Max and it may be too much for me. Little awkward. May have to get an XS.

Robert6464

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2014
I love the big screens on my 27” iMac and 12.9” iPad Pro, but have the smallest iPhone I can because physical size is more important to me than screen size. I have got bigger phones, but went straight back to smaller. I expect my SE to last a long time.
[doublepost=1544949600][/doublepost]Exactly the same here. iPhone SE fits very easily in all pockets, also in summer clothing. Almost for any tasks, even for going on the internet or simply reading & replying to mail, I very much prefer the size of a ipad. Also when travelling and using Maps, the ipad (mini) is really great.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Future gen folding phones will change things for the better.

Small, pocketable screen folded...tablet unfolded. They’ll appeal to all of us.

I can see Apple, Samsung etc. having one foldable device that’ll replace their entire current lineup, in the distant future.

Last edited:

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I remember trying to type on the tiny screens of older models. Now I have an XR and an XS Max and I wouldn't go back.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
My 5.8” iPhone XS is the perfect size for me. Tried the XS Max and found it to be too big.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Future gen folding phones will change things for the better.

Small, pocketable screen unfolded...tablet unfolded. They’ll appeal to all of us.

I can see Apple, Samsung etc. having one foldable device that’ll replace their entire current lineup, in the distant future.

And beyond that... AR, which will separate screen size from device size.

captainorange

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2014
The 5/SE form factor was beautiful, but even then I wanted something smaller.

The good news is that the X is awesome when you have a cellular Apple Watch. A bit more independence and I won't want an iPhone at all. Let me pair the watch with my Mac or iPad pro and I'll reach Nirvana

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.