Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I always keep my iPhone in my front left pocket. When I decided it was time to replace my 6s (a form factor I was happy with and that fit great in my jeans and work pants) I was considering going with an XR but decided against it due to the size. I went with an 8 instead. The 8 fits comfortably in my pocket, but the XR was getting to be a bit much and it seemed like it might be uncomfortable to keep it there and I didn't want to have to take it out every time I sit down

aKansasKid

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
I’m puzzled about all the posts of the Max and Plus size phones fitting in front pockets. No problem while standing, but are you saying the phone still fits nicely in that front pocket while you’re sitting? That’s hard to imagine for this oldster and my Mom jeans. Even a 6-8 in a case is uncomfortable for me there while seated.

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
Just went from 6 to XR. Really liking the phone, but wondering how I am going to carry it next summer. Lots of winter coat pockets for now, and a humongous belt holster that I can mostly hide under a sweater (jumper), but won’t have those winter clothes in the warm season. I carried the 6 in a cargo pants pocket for 4 years, but when I peeled off the screen protector last week I discovered that it developed a multitude of screen cracks from bending. Won’t be doing that with this C$1300 phone! I’m old enough now that maybe I can get away with the belt holster.

ImAnAgent

Suspended
Oct 11, 2018
My mind
For crying out loud. How about a few phones that fit comfortably in a front pocket?

Anyone "downgraded" to the regular 7 or 8 in the wake of all this maxification?
My XS Max fits comfortably in my jeans pocket. I will never go back to anything smaller. Perfect size phone this XS Max.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I went from a 6S to an 8+ and have got used to it in use but carrying it in your pocket is something you can never get used to. To be honest at times it’s a complete pain and no often have to remove it to stop it digging into my hip or get crushed in the process.

There’s still a massive market for standard sensibly sized iPhones and I think Apple missed a trick this year.

Reactions: Solomani

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I went from a 6S to an 8+ and have got used to it in use but carrying it in your pocket is something you can never get used to. To be honest at times it’s a complete pain and no often have to remove it to stop it digging into my hip or get crushed in the process.

There’s still a massive market for standard sensibly sized iPhones and I think Apple missed a trick this year.
That’s why I love having a handbag. No need to worry about this fitting in your pocket nonsense :p

maternusgold

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2015
I loved my 6 plus but after three years its size (and stuttering) got so annoying. Now I have an X which is great for its size but I’m beginning to miss the bigger size. I think I’ll get a used Max next year. I’m not gonna pay around 1600€ for an iPhone (256gb) plus apple care+ again...

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
They don't concern me, so long as a 5.8" is the minimum screen size available - Balance of portability & one hand-friendliness suits my needs.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
One bonus of a large phone is the fact I don’t have to take it out with me when I go on a night out with my mates. It’s too big for my jeans pockets so it’s also a convenient excuse.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Nope I don’t like big phones. Hard to play pubg mobile on it and I’d rather tread on a large phone

BigG94

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Yes.

I'm using a 5.2 screen Android right now, HTC 10, which I thought was my absolute top end as far as phone size. But I'm about to pull the trigger on an XR, which really isn't that much larger than the HTC as far as the dimensions even though it's all screen.

But that absolutely WILL be my top end, I'll probably hang onto it until it disintegrates, because I understand that folks like me have been outvoted by folks who game and watch video on their phones (I don't, ever, although I have no criticism for folks who do, we all have the right to paddle our respective canoes in our own chosen ways) and phablets are the way of the future.

I'll adjust. I have tiny hands and I already use my HTC two-handed, I've test-driven an XR and I think after dithering about it I can handle it. (I'm also a klutz so the XR will as all my phones do go into a brick of a protective case with a TGSP; I could care three cacas about a phone's style and elegance or even its color, I plan to get black; the thing is a tool for me and even though I always get uh-oh insurance I want to avoid trouble if at all possible.)

I've also been rocking the leather belt pouch since I got my first smartphone, LOL! It's geeky but it works for me. Like I said, my phone is a tool and that's where I want that tool to reside when it's not in my hands.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Anyone "downgraded" to the regular 7 or 8 in the wake of all this maxification?

Big phones?!
If by any chance tou’re Including the Xs Max in there you need to revisit the specs. It is marginally larger than a 6s Plus 7 Plus, or 8 Plus.

Mine fits comfortably in my shirt pocket, front pants pocket, etc. I just don’t understand the problem. Of course, if someone just plain wants a smaller form factor, stay away from Plus size models.

No, personally I wouldn’t want anything as big as say, a Note 9, but my Max is very comfortable to hold, size and weight-wise, and a pleasure to use for writing and photo editing on the fly.

BigG94

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Anyone who wants a smaller form factor is forced into using obsolete iPhones at this point.

The only reason I'm looking at the XR and not the 8 even though the 8 is more in my wheelhouse size wise is to try to add another generation of future proofing with the A12.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Not a fan of big phones. I like the size of my 4.7" iPhone 7. Between that size to a 5" is the range I look for and anything larger does not get my attention.
Big phones are cumbersome IMO. I can wait till I get home to my laptop for those needs.

dylanlive

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
San Francisco, Calif.
absolutely not smaller phones feel so tiny and useless to me now.... I cannot believe I use to do anything on those tiny little screens... its incredible how quickly you get used to the bigger size.

For those who say they like the bigger size, I'm curious -- what do you do with your phones? Do you watch Videos on it? Do major web surfing?

I text, use Twitter, watch 30 second or so clips (maybe 2-3 minutes max), Slack, Email, etc.
I don't think any of the things I do would justify the size it takes up (not to mention constant fear of it falling out of my hands). I also like everything in reach of one hand.

Reactions: subjonas

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Hoping they make a 7.9” iPhone oled. Could even change the aspect ratio to 4:3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.