Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Nope. I want even larger phone than iPhone XS Max. I enjoying using my Huawei Mate 20 Pro and Smartisan Nuts Pro 2.

Problem with iPhone is that iOS makes no optimization for larger screen phones. FaceID is trying to solve problem that not existed. Back gesture is hard to use with big phone. I love my Huawei P20 where I can use gesture for various functions, including invoke app tray, back and forward, going back to home screen.

Large phone makes viewing content much easier and watching multimedia more enjoyable. Of course, OS need to make some optimization for large screen phone.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I hate cases but unfortunately they're somewhat of a necessity for me because I find these phones to be slippery. My 6s is like handling a bar of soap so I threw a thin case on it that fortunately doesn't add too much bulk. Is the Xr slippery without a case?
I tend to have fairly dry hands so most devices are slippery to me. However, I’ve seen other comments on here saying that the XR is grippy so I would go with that. Also, I have the clear Apple case and at times it feels slippery to me.

For crying out loud. How about a few phones that fit comfortably in a front pocket?

Anyone "downgraded" to the regular 7 or 8 in the wake of all this maxification?
I’m actually considering going to the 8. The XR seems to give my hands fatigue. I have yet to find a way to hold this phone that results in a comfortable position while typing if I use my thumbs to type. If I slowly type using one index finger while holding the phone with my other hand it’s fine, but that’s too slow for me. It could also be the swipe up gesture I use a lot as it’s the way to navigate on this phone. But for me after a month worth of use, this phone isn’t ergonomical for me. This is something that I didn’t notice on the 7 plus I had.

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
I want a 5 - 5.25” XR mini of some sort. I think that would be the perfect size. Would be smaller than the X/Xs.

But I will tell you coming from a 7 to XR, there are massive benefits to me that slightly outweigh toting this big phone around. Zoomed display mode and increasing text size on the phone. The large screen allows this. Emails, text messages, safari, I mean no more squinting at the phone or eye strain due to smaller font. The whole phone just got easier to use because icons increased in size, email font increased in size, text message font increased in size. Much easier on the eyes.

I still want a smaller phone but this will do until 5G LTE modem is in the iPhones AND the carrier towers to take advantage of it are widespread. And I will be honest and say without my carrier heavily discounting the XR I would have not bought it.

Reactions: janeauburn

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
nope, love my 7 plus. i actually wouldn't mind a slightly bigger device.

might upgrade to a max next year if i can get a used one for a good deal.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
I have to be honest. Since September I have had an X, 8, XS Max and an Xʀ. IMO the Xʀ is the most PERFECT iPhone size YET!! I loved my Max and it took a lot for me to try the Xʀ, but once I did I loved the size and the battery. The Xʀ is a bit on the heavier side, but size wise it’s ABSOLUTELY perfect.

BigG94

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Following up on my contributions to this thread ... already mentioned this in another thread where I was seeking input ... I pulled the trigger on a 128 gig XR today.

I had done a short test drive of a friend's XR the other day, I did a more extensive one today, and it didn't take me very long to adjust to the size and feel, even with it in an Otterbox Defender.

Of course it was in the ballpark of the HTC 10 Android I've been using ... the HTC is 5.74 x 2.83 x 0.35 compared to the XR at 5.94 x 2.98 x 0.33 ... and the XR weighs a whopping 1.14 oz. more. So it's honestly not much of a change from what I'm using.

I also test drove an 8 and really found it too small. IMO the XR is right in the sweet spot. But I really can't see myself willingly going any larger, although again I understand where the trend is headed.

Reactions: I7guy

s0070cm

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2017
Heck, I can't wait for phones to get even bigger, at least from a screen size perspective. 7-8" diagonally would probably be the sweet spot.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
I've done plus sizes since the 6 plus on. I just got a XS. Like it better than the plus size. Easier to manipulate and handle.
[doublepost=1545105949][/doublepost]
Same, I feel like the XR is a brick compared to the 7 Plus I had previously.

6 grams or 0.211644 ounces difference. About the weight of a nickel. You can tell the difference between the two?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Nope. I want even larger phone than iPhone XS Max. I enjoying using my Huawei Mate 20 Pro and Smartisan Nuts Pro 2.
Clearly size of the phone is subjective.

Problem with iPhone is that iOS makes no optimization for larger screen phones. FaceID is trying to solve problem that not existed. Back gesture is hard to use with big phone. I love my Huawei P20 where I can use gesture for various functions, including invoke app tray, back and forward, going back to home screen.
Face ID is solving the same issue that Touch ID, iris scanning etc are looking to solve. For me, there are pros and cons compared to Touch ID.

Large phone makes viewing content much easier and watching multimedia more enjoyable. Of course, OS need to make some optimization for large screen phone.
Agreed.

Last edited:

Lowhangers

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2017
For crying out loud. How about a few phones that fit comfortably in a front pocket?

Anyone "downgraded" to the regular 7 or 8 in the wake of all this maxification?

I’m still using my SE, and I love it. If Apple had released an XS Mini, I would have bought it. But the company offers nothing for people like me, so I didn’t buy a new iPhone. Maybe next year?

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Had the 7+and 8+. Bought the XS Max. With an Apple leather case on the XS Max it was to cumbersome to carry in my pockets so, exchanged for XS and am quite satisfied. It’s so much more manageable.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Had the 7+and 8+. Bought the XS Max. With an Apple leather case on the XS Max it was to cumbersome to carry in my pockets so, exchanged for XS and am quite satisfied. It’s so much more manageable.

The extra weight over the 8+ was the last straw?

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Bigger the better! I am considering the 6.9” Xiaomi Mi Max 3 ($259) and the honor 8x max (7.1”).

Why can’t a company like Motorola or OnePlus make a huge phone like this? I don’t know how I feel about using a cheap Chinese rom phone.

Last edited:

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Bigger the better! I am considering the 6.9” Xiaomi Mi Max 3 ($259) and the honor 8x max (7.1”).

Why can’t a company like Motorola or OnePlus make a huge phone like this? I don’t know how I feel about using a cheap Chinese rom phone.

The new Huawei Mate 20 X is 7.2 inches, if you're into Android phones.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I have an iPhone XR and an iPhone SE as a work phone. The SE just looks like a toy next to it I could never go back that small. Like when I went from a 40 inch tv to a 55 inch. It seems huge at first then I just think I could go even bigger.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I’ve loved my 7+ since buying
it; but lately I just can’t deal with its size in the pocket, for some reason. Don’t know what changed...

I swapped my SIM into my wife’s old iPhone 6 over the holidays (our “backup phone”), and have been loving how small & light the phone is. It also runs acceptably well on iOS 12.

...But I don’t love the camera or battery life, so actually I am indeed considering picking up an iPhone 8, to replace my 7+. I know the 8 won’t even be as light as this 6, but I guess it’s the best choice. An XS would be even heavier, and $400 more expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.