Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think the reason different people like such different size iPhones is their different use.

Some people consider the iPhone just a quick reference device on the move and they use an iPad or MacBook for most online usage- for those people the easy carrying small iPhone may be preferred.

Then for others, they don’t even posssess a tablet or laptop- and in this case use their iPhone for everything including games and video playing. Obviously they will prefer a Max size phone.

Then those that always wear jacket or carry handbag. A Max size causes them no inconvenience, so they will also naturally go for larger phone with easier viewing.

We are all different. There is no right or wrong answer. Go for what suits your requirements and lifestyle. It is good there is a choice and we have left the days of having no alternative to the 3.5” screen
I use my iPhone as much as possible so I want as big a screen as possible. However I do have iPads and a MacBook too, I just find the iPhone the most convenient because it’s the one that’s always with me and easiest to pull out anywhere.

Reactions: decypher44

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Larger phones are mainly the ‘Norm’ now, not necessarily because that’s what everyone likes/wants, because that is what manufacturers are making today where we don’t have many options for ‘smaller’ smart phones anymore. I think that’s what made iPhone SE so special, because there is a niche demographic that really appreciated a phone of that size, not also for the cheaper price point, but because not everybody wants a larger phone.

Reactions: timeconsumer

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
It's all relative. I have used the plus size phones since the 6 plus. That seemed normal to me. I just bought an XS, and now the plus sized phones look huge to me. Go figure.

I say the "norm" is whatever you are using. Either way you get used to the size you are using.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I have an XS Max that I think is just absolutely brilliant.

But with the Apple leather case on it, I confess that I wonder sometimes if it isn’t a little too big, and perhaps I should’ve stuck with my previous iPhone X.

Or, perhaps, to get Band 71 and still have the A12, maybe I’d have been just as well served by the XS.

I also note the ongoing popularity of the iPhone SE.

No point in worrying, now.

There is no doubt the XS Max is the best there is, and I am enjoying all of its capabilities including the multi-SIM functions.

:)

I am smiling at myself to realize that my answer to the problem of hiking in jeans with an XS Max was to get a cellular Watch 4.

So however they made me do it, they got me.

Again.

Reactions: Jetcat3

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
It's all relative. I have used the plus size phones since the 6 plus. That seemed normal to me. I just bought an XS, and now the plus sized phones look huge to me. Go figure.

I say the "norm" is whatever you are using. Either way you get used to the size you are using.

Coming from the 7+ last year to the X, I definitely got used to the X’s size. I have played around with the XS Max in the Apple Store several times and the size doesn’t bother me at all. I only use my X with one hand, when I’m browsing the web or reading something. Other than that I use 2 hands, which I have no problem using. I still have my 7+ and use every now and then, and don’t think it’s a huge device at all. Me personally, I prefer plus sized phones and don’t know how I managed to use phones smaller than 5.8.

Reactions: OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
It’s understandable why smartphones have gotten so big coming from their 3.5”-4” origins (the size that prioritized portability, not immersion). People live on their phones now. They want to be immersed in content at all times or at least have the option to at all times. Priorities have changed. Or maybe immersion was always the priority for most people, but it took time for them to realize that the smartphone could provide that immersion so readily.

It’s just a shame that the minority of people who still use their smartphones sparingly for quick tasks or tasks that don’t benefit much from a big screen, or who simply care nothing for immersion on-the-go, must unwillingly make the same sacrifice in portability, since the industry has stopped making the original small-sized smartphones.

And it’s no wonder that the industry has done so. Companies are more than happy to go along with this demand shift, as they can charge much higher prices for larger devices at not much more cost, thus making much more profit.

Everything is understandable. It’s just a shame for a few is all.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I don’t think I could go caseless, so worried about dropping the phone.

If you break XS Max it's a disaster. $329 for a screen replacement, $599 to replace the whole phone.

I remember (back in the day iPhones cost $650) destroying my old iPhone 4 on a NYC sidewalk - and replacing the entire phone only cost $199, less than 1/3 of the price of the phone. I don't know why it costs nearly 60% of the price now...

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I'm still using an iPhone SE and wish Apple would update it. Mind you, my SE runs beautifully on IOS 12, plus it fits nicely in my pocket. Don't even notice it half the time. I get that large phones are the norm now, but I think there's still a desire for smaller phones. I think Apple would do well in this market. I've had large phones before and after a while just found them to be too big and cumbersome to handle. If I need to do intense stuff, that's what my Mac is for.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
If I need to do intense stuff, that's what my Mac is for.

On the other hand....

Many times now I will head out the door for work leaving my MacBook behind, because I know the XS Max has the power to do what I need to do, and I can type fairly effectively and edit even fairly large files with it.

:)

But I understand and I'm almost with you. I miss the SE and I'd love to have one as a spare that I could use for hiking. The Watch 4 (cellular) is almost a replacement for the SE, but not quite.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If you break XS Max it's a disaster. $329 for a screen replacement, $599 to replace the whole phone.

I remember (back in the day iPhones cost $650) destroying my old iPhone 4 on a NYC sidewalk - and replacing the entire phone only cost $199, less than 1/3 of the price of the phone. I don't know why it costs nearly 60% of the price now...
May have something to do with people intentionally breaking the screens to get a new screen.

larzy

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Denmark
Today I gave in and traded my XS Max for a new XS that somebody won plus some cash his way. I have had the Plus models since the 6 and always loved them even though their size was always a bit of a challenge when carrying the phone in a jacket or pocket.

I gotta say - the X and the XS is the sweet spot for me. Perfect size and weight and enough screen. The XS Max was beautiful and nice but too heavy and big for me after owning last years X. I probably should have kept the X but doesn’t matter - right now I’m very happy with the trade.

Last edited:

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC

I put a glass protector on the back in addition to the 3D screen protector on the front and haven’t used a case for 2 days now. It feel weird without my case but I like not using one. I will use the case when I leave the house.

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008

Cases add to much bulk. I use a screen protector and a skin from gelaskins. They have great designs by I guess local artists, it's a Canadian company.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I put a glass protector on the back in addition to the 3D screen protector on the front and haven’t used a case for 2 days now. It feel weird without my case but I like not using one. I will use the case when I leave the house.

Cases add to much bulk. I use a screen protector and a skin from gelaskins. They have great designs by I guess local artists, it's a Canadian company.
Agreed about the bulk. I’ve dropped my phones multiple times and the cases and screen protectors have saved the phone from damage. I’m using the silicon case and I like it.

Lowhangers

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2017
Still using my little iPhone SE and still loving it. I will buy a new phone when Apple comes out with something that is the same size as the SE, either an updated SE or an XS Mini. The bigger phones are not my cup of tea.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
But you never know how many dishonest people are out there.

But why would anyone intentionally break a perfectly good screen just to have it replaced? I don't see what the gain would be....seems more like something a crazy person would do. Do you think people that can't handle having micro-scratches would resort to this?

As for the actual topic, I have no use for a huge screen and prefer phones the size of the 6-8. The X/Xs is probably the biggest I prefer although I'm tossing around the idea of the Xr for battery life-- I'm a fairly light/moderate user and that phone would probably last me for years. I'm going to wait a few months to see if there are hints of a smaller phone coming and replace my 6s with something but I've not decided which one yet.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
But why would anyone intentionally break a perfectly good screen just to have it replaced? I don't see what the gain would be....seems more like something a crazy person would do.
Nobody would break a good screen, but someone who had a marginal screen and wanted it replaced could break their screen intentionally.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Yes with the larger phone I am constantly saying
D52C115A-021C-45B4-A8C0-A033056CCEAB.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.