Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your s4 screen affected by vertical line issue or uneven tint display?

• Yes

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Williamskott

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2019
Just contact Apple, have them replace it, you definitely have a defective display, you don’t need to see any comparisons to even notice that with your Apple Watch, it’s quite obvious.

Already contact it, lets hope for best solution

*update
Just claim to apple, and now Waiting for the replacement back to me,, wish me luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Ta0jin

rattler

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
I haven’t noticed any light bleed, but my 44mm watch has some slight vertical banding in the top middle area of the display when using the full color watch faces. I’m guessing it’s just some OLED artifacts.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I haven’t noticed any light bleed, but my 44mm watch has some slight vertical banding in the top middle area of the display when using the full color watch faces. I’m guessing it’s just some OLED artifacts.

Light bleed is not applicable to OLED, only LCD in that respect. But I gather what you mean, as far as the banding, OLED displays can exhibit that type of behavior, and you only notice it on certain color spectrum‘s/display types.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
It seems this is still an issue. I have waited to return mine until the issue is fixed in production, but it doesn't seem to be.
I really don't want to go get one that is even worse and go through multiple replacements and be without my watch for weeks.

I was planning on contacting Apple this week but I'm still not sure it's worth the trouble to go through with a return. Have those of you who have had yours replaced got a better one?

My watch face when on the lowest brightness setting at night (turning the crown one step to check time during the night)
low brightness watchface.jpg

These are under normal conditions indoors at probably half brightness. The first one is showing a uniform grey image.
Greyonwatch.jpg menu.jpg timer.jpg

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
It seems this is still an issue. I have waited to return mine until the issue is fixed in production, but it doesn't seem to be.
I really don't want to go get one that is even worse and go through multiple replacements and be without my watch for weeks.

I was planning on contacting Apple this week but I'm still not sure it's worth the trouble to go through with a return. Have those of you who have had yours replaced got a better one?

My watch face when on the lowest brightness setting at night (turning the crown one step to check time during the night)
View attachment 839315

These are under normal conditions indoors at probably half brightness. The first one is showing a uniform grey image.
View attachment 839314 View attachment 839316 View attachment 839317
You might get one that is worse, you might get one that is better. You never know unless you try. I totally understand your apprehension though.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Wow had my S4 for almost a year now and I’ve just noticed this! I actually thought the heart rate graph had a gradient, but viewing a screenshot on my phone tells me this is a lie!

Hoping my brain will un-see this as I can’t be bothered with a replacement.

Does anyone know if it gets worse with time.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
I'm confused. Isn't the Apple Watch using OLED? Seems strange to me for it to have bleed, as extreme as in the picture. It almost seems like it's not even an OLED, the blacks are not true blacks.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Yeah it's crazy, I'm wondering if it could have developed recently. Part of me wants to try and get it fixed in case it gets worst, yet part of me can't be bothered with the faff.

2B7CA625-E701-4A91-AC4F-3AC27C8F7C85.jpeg 68E930C2-74F0-45B6-986C-E4C1BD197694.png

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wow had my S4 for almost a year now and I’ve just noticed this! I actually thought the heart rate graph had a gradient, but viewing a screenshot on my phone tells me this is a lie!

Hoping my brain will un-see this as I can’t be bothered with a replacement.

Does anyone know if it gets worse with time.

It shouldn’t get worse, it’s usually just stagnant. But as you said, you can’t ‘Unsee’ it. And replacement watches can still exhibit the same issue, just to a different degree.

Reactions: ManicMarc

gahig ulo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2017
riverside california
h!i also suffer of the same issue.my question is if apple wont replace the screen for free but i really want to get replace can i use my apple care + replacement?i believe its around 69$ to get replace.

Attachments

• 22E6D2D6-9EC0-4BB6-925A-AA95A85977F0.jpeg
    22E6D2D6-9EC0-4BB6-925A-AA95A85977F0.jpeg
    976.6 KB · Views: 130

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Using the Reddit image, my screen is brighter on the Right (Crown side for me) than it is in the Left with a darker line down the middle.

A little frustrating and I wish it were not the case, but I’m not sure it’s affecting me so much day to day that I’d chance a replacement.

Particularly as I’ve seen a few on this thread with much worse screens than mine.

Hope all badly affected had their Watches/Screens swapped FOC.

gahig ulo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2017
riverside california
Using the Reddit image, my screen is brighter on the Right (Crown side for me) than it is in the Left with a darker line down the middle.

A little frustrating and I wish it were not the case, but I’m not sure it’s affecting me so much day to day that I’d chance a replacement.

Particularly as I’ve seen a few on this thread with much worse screens than mine.

Hope all badly affected had their Watches/Screens swapped FOC.
do you think apple will replace the watch?i have apple care plus.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I'm confused. Isn't the Apple Watch using OLED? Seems strange to me for it to have bleed, as extreme as in the picture. It almost seems like it's not even an OLED, the blacks are not true blacks.
OLED will only turn off the pixels for true, pure black (i.e. Hex #000000) if the picture is showing a dark grey background the pixels will still be lit. I can only assume this is the case as can be seen in the images showing the menu and timer.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
h!i also suffer of the same issue.my question is if apple wont replace the screen for free but i really want to get replace can i use my apple care + replacement?i believe its around 69$ to get replace.

If you have AC+ then contact apple for an express replacement. Tell them you have a screen colouration issue and you want to arrange an AC+ express replacement. They will put a hold on your card and ship you out a replacement and you then ship yours back and the hold is removed. I've done this with a series 2 watch and a few iPads and phones. I specifically tell them I have an issue and want to arrange an express replacement via AC+, I don't wait for them to offer it as they invariably don't. This way you aren't at the mercy of what a genius in a store considered right or wrong.

gahig ulo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2017
riverside california
If you have AC+ then contact apple for an express replacement. Tell them you have a screen colouration issue and you want to arrange an AC+ express replacement. They will put a hold on your card and ship you out a replacement and you then ship yours back and the hold is removed. I've done this with a series 2 watch and a few iPads and phones. I specifically tell them I have an issue and want to arrange an express replacement via AC+, I don't wait for them to offer it as they invariably don't. This way you aren't at the mercy of what a genius in a store considered right or wrong.
gots you,thank you!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Your display looks rather drastic, and I’m sure if Apple can see that in person, they probably will just issue a replacement for free without having to use any AppleCare. There are some displays that really don’t look ‘too bad’, but yours is heavily favoring the right side to display where it’s showing a lot of disparity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.