Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your s4 screen affected by vertical line issue or uneven tint display?

• Yes

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Simacca

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
UK, South East.
View attachment 811562 View attachment 811563 My watch screen looks like this when nothing is on the screen. Here is a pic of the watch when it is on but the screen hasn’t been woken. Is this the same issue? Worth asking apple to replace? It is not noticeable when the screen is on.

Looks like smudges under the glass or wearing out of the coating. I would definitely take that back for an exchange. This shouldn’t be happening so quickly.

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Thanks guys. I will take it back to the apple store and see what they say. My old series 0 doesn’t have it. This is barely a few months old and is looked after. I will report back.

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
Anyone here had luck with the replacement unit in the last couple weeks being better than the one they had? I saw someone posting a better display on the replacement unit last week. Was wondering if I should consider replacement myself?!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Does Apple cover the Oelophobic coating? I had the same issue with my series 0 and series 2 after a few months of ownership but my series 3 was perfect after a year. Will be interesting to see how my series 4 holds out

Yes, if the oleophobic coating is defective, as you can see in the previous picture in this thread, Apple will replace the watch, because it cannot be removed and it’s more stained on the display. Others have had their watch displays replaced due to this.

Thanks guys. I will take it back to the apple store and see what they say. My old series 0 doesn’t have it. This is barely a few months old and is looked after. I will report back.

If your watch is only a few months old and it’s exhibiting signs of the coating wearing off, they will replace it with a replacement device.

Anyone here had luck with the replacement unit in the last couple weeks being better than the one they had? I saw someone posting a better display on the replacement unit last week. Was wondering if I should consider replacement myself?!

If you’re display is uneven to the point where it’s distracting you, then I would try a replacement device. And even if the replacement device has its own issues, Apple can still issue you another device until you’re satisfied.

Reactions: Bazooka-joe

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
If you’re display is uneven to the point where it’s distracting you, then I would try a replacement device. And even if the replacement device has its own issues, Apple can still issue you another device until you’re satisfied.

I don't have it as bad as others and which is why I'm holding back on the replacement until I'm sure the issue wouldn't happen with the new unit.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I don't have it as bad as others and which is why I'm holding back on the replacement until I'm sure the issue wouldn't happen with the new unit.

I'm doing the same thing. No point in going through the trouble if the replacement will be as bad or worse. And I really don't want to be without my watch for several days since I need my perfect month achievements :D

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Just curious, Apple tried to repair same watch three different times with the display? Meaning, like they replaced the display three different times and it still has the uniformity? Is each display worse each time you receive it or exactly the same? Perhaps you could escalate your case and see if they can issue a new watch altogether.
No, 3 times meaning it was sent out to a repair facility 3 times and they just sent the watch back without repairing or replacing it.

Eisi

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2018
Austria
Second watch, it‘s even worse now…

Attachments

• 687D38C9-C8D4-45CD-A8C6-BA01A820CBAA.jpeg
    687D38C9-C8D4-45CD-A8C6-BA01A820CBAA.jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 627

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I got my current Nike+ about a week ago. Way more unified from my SS I bought back in October. Not perfect but it is not noticeable in normal use. i.e. the Menus or adjust brightness with Crown.

I am satisfied.

My issue was when one side of the screen would be much brighter than the other half previously

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
I received an email from Apple asking for feedback on my Apple Watch Series 4. I made it very clear why I sent it back and bought a Series 3 instead.

Reactions: Eisi

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I received an email from Apple asking for feedback on my Apple Watch Series 4. I made it very clear why I sent it back and bought a Series 3 instead.
Was it just a customer survey or explicitly related to the issue with your watch? If explicit, can you post word-for-word what it says?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If anyone ever wanted to provide feedback via back to Apple, you don’t necessarily have to fill out the surveys, in addition, you can call direct and they can pass any information along to their engineer team with a specific issue, and you can always attach pictures as well to a complaint.

Kardinal1911

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
Houston
I’ve researched this in detail... it’s a dark grey issue on the OLEDS... for some reason the test photo isn’t black... on OLED actual black background, THE OLED display doesn’t lite the pixels. I agree Apple needs to fix the issue but they’re moving slowly

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’ve researched this in detail... it’s a dark grey issue on the OLEDS... for some reason the test photo isn’t black... on OLED actual black background, THE OLED display doesn’t lite the pixels. I agree Apple needs to fix the issue but they’re moving slowly

They won’t fix anything until the next iteration of OLED displays with ‘Series 5’. They don’t make manufacturing tweaks typically when devices are in the middle of production with the Apple Watch. Similarly to how the iPhone 6 was bending due to the 6000 series aluminum, Apple didn’t make any changes until the next iPhone with the 7000 series aluminum.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I'm considering not asking for a replacement because I'm afraid I will get one that is worse. The one I have is not good, but it's not too terrible either. I could live with it, but it bothers me that I have paid full price for a product that has a defect, and from a company that takes pride in their engineering and manufacturing no less. I won't be upgrading until Series 6 by the earliest.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I think a lot of the issue is the display technology itself. My (at the time) $6,000 4K OLED TV which is only 2 years old has similar issues with the display on gray material. If that cannot be perfect I doubt a relatively cheap watch display will be able to.

My watch has some uneven tint but it’s only visible on grey screens in a relatively dark environment. That said I do think the series 3 screens were better...

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
I think a lot of the issue is the display technology itself. My (at the time) $6,000 4K OLED TV which is only 2 years old has similar issues with the display on gray material. If that cannot be perfect I doubt a relatively cheap watch display will be able to.

My watch has some uneven tint but it’s only visible on grey screens in a relatively dark environment. That said I do think the series 3 screens were better...

But OLED phones with good quality displays do not have these problems. At least not initially

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
But OLED phones with good quality displays do not have these problems. At least not initially

I think the point is, initially any type of display seems to have some type of disparity in some form or another. With LCD, it’s usually backlight bleed, and OLED is usually image retention/‘Graying.’ I’m also willing to believe that the majority of Series 4 owners, have no idea what to look for with uniformity, but those who are more particular on sites like this, easily hone in on defects, but that’s only a small fraction of users who take notice.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Series 3 have pwm just like the iPhones. Supposed to be less noticeable with pwm screens.

XRC771

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2016
I found this discussion after noticing this exact problem at dark when, rotating the crown, chronograph face appeared half-dimmed. Nobody seems to refer of traces of this problem in normal, well lit conditions. I'll do now. Choosed to show you a Color face in Storm gray (but pink and other colors have the same behavior). Look for the two circles at the bottom.
What do you think? It's all perfectly acceptable for a 700€ smartwatch?

This in darkness:

IMG_2337.jpg

And this under strong indoor light:

IMG_2349.jpg

[doublepost=1548886321][/doublepost]I can notice it as well on the Explorer face. Look for the gray ring under minute marks that almost disappears at the right.

IMG_2341.jpg

Last edited:

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I just tried again after getting an early launch one... the first one I bought had a “chip” in the stainless steel and the replacement screen is horrible...

Debating if I try again or just move on for this generation...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.