Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your s4 screen affected by vertical line issue or uneven tint display?

• Yes

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
That’s kind of the point I’m making — most people have it but don’t notice it because for most it is very minor

I think most use info-graphic watch face or similar and doesnt notice it because the background is black and they probably haven't touch the brightness settings. The problem is more or less visible when you use the lowest level of the brightness and scrolling the settings for example or using some other watch face than black - e.g. single colour watch face. So most doesnt notice it until they try something else..

After seeing so many complaining the uneven display I don't doubt anymore the reason why apple uses so much black on their watch faces.

Reactions: Tapiture

Chopper read

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2014
That’s kind of the point I’m making — most people have it but don’t notice it because for most it is very minor

Point taken, did your test and yes mine does have so will change to yes. That saying, I can’t believe people are taking back because of this and letting it bother them. If all the faces were like it i’d understand, but they look crisp and clear and any friends that have looked at my watch have said the screen looks amazing.

thanosbel

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2018
Greece
Point taken, did your test and yes mine does have so will change to yes. That saying, I can’t believe people are taking back because of this and letting it bother them. If all the faces were like it i’d understand, but they look crisp and clear and any friends that have looked at my watch have said the screen looks amazing.
I totally understand your opinion. My problem with such kind of issues is, that i don't know whether they will get worse over time. If apple accepts that they are faulty screens how can i be sure that these are just early signs of more serious problems. Sure apple watch is absolutely great and the new screens look amazing but these issues are not normal neither for the price tag of the device nor for the quality we are used to getting from this company. But as i have mentioned in my first post i totally understand your stance. What i would like to know is if these issues are considered normal for this technology or if in later batches they will be sorted out.

Reactions: Chopper read

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
Has anyone checked if this issue is present on earlier versions of Apple Watch?

thanosbel

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2018
Greece
Has anyone checked if this issue is present on earlier versions of Apple Watch?

Yeap i checked my brother's series 2 watch and neither of the issues are present. Correct me if i am wrong, but apple has implemented some new technologies on the s4 screen.

robertomp

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2018
This is how mine looks with the imgur image and maximum brightness.

9af540a2660f2aa02a3a1161477f456b.jpg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Week 38 (17.09 - 23.09) ... Funny, because I waited 3 weeks for it, because "there were no devices available" ..
It also came with a completely dead battery ...

If your Apple Watch came with a completely drained battery, to me, that’s indicative that it was actually manufactured early on as you indicated. Which means it might be an earlier production model that was affected with the display. Some might have better displays with later production, but it’s still difficult to say.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
After seeing so many complaining the uneven display I don't doubt anymore the reason why apple uses so much black on their watch faces.

I think it's the other way around.

Apple didn't want to highlight how small the display was on the first few generations, so they had design guidelines that kept the background black.

The only exception to this was the photo watch faces, because they knew people wanted photos on the watch.

I think their testing for uniformity is based on the black background because that has been the default look of the watch, not to hide uneven display but to hide how small it was.

Reactions: Azathoth123

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I think their testing for uniformity is based on the black background because that has been the default look of the watch, not to hide uneven display but to hide how small it was.
On OLED the pixels are off when black so it will be like testing uniformity on a device powered off.

That is also why black is preferable on OLED displays from a power consumptions viewpoint.

If Apple had avoided this darkgrey color in the menus, no one would have noticed there is a problem. So a watchOS update changing the widespread use of darkgrey in the UI could "fix" the problem.

thanosbel

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2018
Greece
I will get a refund for the second apple watch with the exact same problem (vertical line in the middle). After all the responses about both the issues i believe the best option would be to wait until the issues are sorted out(if ever) or skip to next generation.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I will get a refund for the second apple watch with the exact same problem (vertical line in the middle). After all the responses about both the issues i believe the best option would be to wait until the issues are sorted out(if ever) or skip to next generation.

I think in your case, you can’t ‘Un-see’ this type of defect, and your brain is now trained to look for this on every watch from this point forward, and if it’s that much of a potential problem for you, then I would wait to the next generation, as it seems almost the majority of Apple Watches have some type of anomaly of a defect either with uniformity issues or the faint red line, you just have those on here who are more prone to look these types of defects than the average consumer.

And I admit, even when I read about defects noted from other users, I do check for them sometimes, but I try not to make it a habit unless it blatantly stands out to me where the product should be returned.

thanosbel

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2018
Greece
I think in your case, you can’t ‘Un-see’ this type of defect, and your brain is now trained to look for this on every watch from this point forward, and if it’s that much of a potential problem for you, then I would wait to the next generation, as it seems almost the majority of Apple Watches have some type of anomaly of a defect either with uniformity issues or the faint red line, you just have those on here who are more prone to look these types of defects than the average consumer.

And I admit, even when I read about defects noted from other users, I do check for them sometimes, but I try not to make it a habit unless it blatantly stands out to me where the product should be returned.

When i got the first unit at 28th of September i had not searched or read any thread about any defect or issue. I found out the problem myself after regular use of the device. It was hugely disappointing, because i immediately fell in love with the apple watch. I thought i was just unlucky and it was my bad that i did not check the forum in detail for any kind of problems. I wouldn't have ordered a second unit. Anyway as you said, i can't unsee the issue anymore. Especially the red vertical line issue is a deal breaker for me. I could withstand the uneven tint if it was at a normal, for daily use, rate..

What has me left disappointed is that there is no official answer about these issues. Last time i had a similar case (ipad mini 2 image retention issue), there were reports from official sources that the problem got fixed at its root. I returned my first one and got one perfectly working, with great display unit that is seamlessly working till now. This seems not to be the case at this time :( Don't get me wrong, it is a great device but these issues should be addressed for its price tag and the quality apple has offered to their consumers throughout the years.

Reactions: techno-Zen

robertomp

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2018
Much more uniform looking. This could be a really good display, or, Apple might be improving upon the display quality issues that they were experiencing earlier.

Perhaps they have improved this question at assembly level. As curiosity this replacement unit was already shipped with 5.1.2.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I previously posted about my experience trying to get a replacement for the same issue. After sending out my watch 3 different times for the same issue I am back to report that my watch has not been fixed or replaced
DC1AAC89-7C50-4A66-ADAE-05C0ADFD8C34.jpeg

I’m not sure what to do now, perhaps it’s not too late to have it returned and order a new one.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I previously posted about my experience trying to get a replacement for the same issue. After sending out my watch 3 different times for the same issue I am back to report that my watch has not been fixed or replaced View attachment 811550
I’m not sure what to do now, perhaps it’s not too late to have it returned and order a new one.

Just curious, Apple tried to repair same watch three different times with the display? Meaning, like they replaced the display three different times and it still has the uniformity? Is each display worse each time you receive it or exactly the same? Perhaps you could escalate your case and see if they can issue a new watch altogether.

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
B573157B-F434-43E4-998A-DA1D7CCE63A7.jpeg
7C279EA6-221C-464A-98BC-4711CBD7CBA2.jpeg
My watch screen looks like this when nothing is on the screen. Here is a pic of the watch when it is on but the screen hasn’t been woken. Is this the same issue? Worth asking apple to replace? It is not noticeable when the screen is on.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
View attachment 811562 View attachment 811563 My watch screen looks like this when nothing is on the screen. Here is a pic of the watch when it is on but the screen hasn’t been woken. Is this the same issue? Worth asking apple to replace? It is not noticeable when the screen is on.
No, black and off is not problem (same thing, because pixels are off on OLED when showing black). It is when showing dark grey, like in the menus, where the pixels need to turn on it is visible. If you don't see, don't make it a problem. It is quite noticeable if you have it. I have returned to very bad ones and the one I am keeping is not perfect, but the problem is not visible in daily use, only with darkgrey image on imgur posted somewhere in here.

Reactions: Dingo Dave 69

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
No, black and off is not problem (same thing, because pixels are off on OLED when showing black). It is when showing dark grey, like in the menus, where the pixels need to turn on it is visible. If you don't see, don't make it a problem. It is quite noticeable if you have it. I have returned to very bad ones and the one I am keeping is not perfect, but the problem is not visible in daily use, only with darkgrey image on imgur posted somewhere in here.

Thanks. On that case any idea why my watch looks like it does? Under light it looks cloudy round the edges

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks. On that case any idea why my watch looks like it does? Under light it looks cloudy round the edges

That’s a separation of the Oleophobic coating. It can’t be removed. Apple would have to replace the display entirely. Also, it would depend if you’re watch is under warranty or not.

Here is a similar thread of what you’re watch display is experiencing, this member had their watch display replaced as well:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ring-around-glass-edge.2141020/

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
That’s a separation of the Oleophobic coating. It can’t be removed. Apple would have to replace the display entirely. Also, it would depend if you’re watch is under warranty or not.

Here is a similar thread of what you’re watch display is experiencing, this member had their watch display replaced as well:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ring-around-glass-edge.2141020/
Does Apple cover the Oelophobic coating? I had the same issue with my series 0 and series 2 after a few months of ownership but my series 3 was perfect after a year. Will be interesting to see how my series 4 holds out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.