Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your s4 screen affected by vertical line issue or uneven tint display?

• Yes

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

robertomp

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2018
This is what I noticed on mine (left inferior corner, a bright vertical line).

3b3d3ebcaba97aa28c695dd7c825893d.jpg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This pic is the perfect example of it affecting general use

I admit, months back, I thought this would just be a ‘bad batch’ of displays that others were reporting on forums like this, now that were more than enough into production since the Series 4 launch, it clearly seems to be more widespread than others anticipated, and it’s just a matter of how affected each display is and to what extreme.

Last edited:

stevenbeerbaum

macrumors member
May 30, 2015
Can you please tell us its production week?

(you can find out from the device's serial number and online tools)

Week 38 (17.09 - 23.09) ... Funny, because I waited 3 weeks for it, because "there were no devices available" ..
It also came with a completely dead battery ...

Reactions: thanosbel

thanosbel

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2018
Greece
Hello everyone. There have been multiple posts and two threads about two different screen issues for the latest apple watch series 4. Personally i have experienced twice so far the issue of the vertical line in the middle of the screen(described here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/vertical-line-on-apple-watch-series-4.2146521/). Others have faced the uneven tint display issue (described here https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...bleed-uneven-tint-on-series-4-merged.2147301/ ).

Today i was informed that they will replace the second unit with a new one or i will be fully refunded.

The first watch was produced at last week of August. The second one on last week of October.
  • Are your watches affected by either one of the issues mentioned?
  • What week was your watch produced? (You can find out with online tools and your serial number
  • Have someone who got a faulty watch got an issue free watch produced in latest weeks?
  • Which issue affects your watch?
I don't know how to deal with this situation anymore. It is a great (can't stress this enough) device but i don't know if it is worth trying to get a new one at this point. I totally respect everyone who can live with such kind of matters or have a different stance about it. But i would like to know if this issue is widespread and if it has been resolved from the manufacturer.

Thanks in advance to all of you who participate in the poll and spend some of your time to check about the issues and your device!

Last edited:

Chopper read

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2014
Voted no,mine looks really good compared to some pics I’ve seen. Bought in the uk early November.

Although something doesn’t look right when I have water face on circle and look at the black part around the circle when the room is dark lol . But I don’t use that face and am not going to keep analysing it. Everything else is mega!!

Reactions: tromboneaholic

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I’ve recently gotten two space grey Apple watches. One 40mm and one 44mm. Haven’t noticed any issues with the displays.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
Most people vote “no” because they don’t realize they have it. I have it but I wouldn’t have noticed it if it wasn’t for the grey picture test.
(Load this image on to your watch on full screen and look at it in a dark environment) https://i.imgur.com/XCZSJ7x.png
If you see some lighter parts around the edges your watch has uneven tint.

I can tell you this probably affects a vast majority of series 4 watches in some capacity, but it’s not usually noticeable in normal use.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
i got my replacement unit on the last friday and it has a line in the middle of the screen. the overal brightness was also abit darker, and left side was brighter but not as much as my current one. The replacement unit goes back to Apple. My current watch that has a issue with the right side, looks still better than the replacement unit with a dark line on the screen which is visible if you dont use a black (off) backgrounds. Im not sure do they check the screens at all. Even a blind would have seen a line going throught the screen or maybe the know about the issue and sell them hoping that customers dont return them. if you dont need a watch now, i wouldnt buy it.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
i got my replacement unit on the last friday and it has a line in the middle of the screen. the overal brightness was also abit darker, and left side was brighter but not as much as my current one. The replacement unit goes back to Apple. My current watch that has a issue with the right side, looks still better than the replacement unit with a dark line on the screen which is visible if you dont use a black (off) backgrounds. Im not sure do they check the screens at all. Even a blind would have seen a line going throught the screen or maybe the know about the issue and sell them hoping that customers dont return them. if you dont need a watch now, i wouldnt buy it.
Since mine has such a minor issue I’m holding off on getting it replaced until they actually fix the issue. No sense playing “watch roulette” when I could very well get one that’s worse

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Since mine has such a minor issue I’m holding off on getting it replaced until they actually fix the issue. No sense playing “watch roulette” when I could very well get one that’s worse

i spoke with the cs and the problem with replacing the watch later (than in a return window, 14 days) is that they wont give you a new watch but an used watch. anyway, im keeping the current one and not going to send back and worth the watches. there seems to be a quality issue so thats why i said, that if you dont need it now, dont buy it - wait a few months...

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Sadly not. Just got a 44mm directly from china on friday which has it. It is the one on the right side.
TMAhkl-018Q_J52vM8v3BzEbYj4t83AfKz-Q8m0ieWti5_6MgmNDnNjEWVEPqXzcvFf-6XmCp90EgC1GzY9E6K4Xc2bzToVg0JlanizhiYkUKupO-7MQ38bXJNrDwcREXpzHzKkghaCNHkZ5l8ry6WUYsRMgRbg79C49Q5bv55-4i2JiRK05u8kAeaG9wjG5Oepi7JnIdcbAozH5B26qISk0UdZYZMeBQX6jKqNOTXEvzTUJpYlKyZsFfUfQypbl43UNQPmoqas3K72LtxoDBXIHft-qJKcXBHN3HC3ZX1PHvP2y7AgvYzPXhemtD34AruWTUcfE1rYt5qgJm_OFY0NWUbBaKY7_TKxDSimVf0Z60RlV1N2mAZcu7uPgxcQeS1gT4a7IQMYNmtxiO0jAnNxtWX5nQRZ9fluZvuzdtc5e4vwwiS36oWq8yNiJ-bRF24v73aQq5NPnpIgJCAGY0VzRrK2nSVrk4ICrunnvWdfVw2Dvb-00crDuOff_Ay9KM2ATeQNDZ4pelmt0VeGmKC4VkE7WbhwGlwyhNY1pqztY3rpsP0CmRNYBkJw9ZumI5I9IoPpidUnk7MTQmzZsITOvbl_vovuOOIUQGBzbX-3kO_xHzvePPO-q-Yup3lPOaNOaxe4l4IVfb0ThL3P_r9TWnA=w2148-h1280-no

_TQiwT8JKClIBijXPWBdOeXyFDlpw86hLkr-9DqLVWHObZb-_rSh0sSOJkHdSV507TYnrvFJadKomk-mpEHPw6BRZNVtTlmjjL5KwNOSCfAUcTLJJZfcs9yIN1UW01I-YqdMfCJbkuHBiOgdiyRF3-g4azrt1PohlOl5utfR01E-wwby8TAb_FQr5Ycmdwd9TJG7dTOLIARwbh15MNOakRgp0mHtuhgNZc0A5XNpQUKfCYtQzpBPeG3XTNdNhVVpIVpa7I7XMl2Wbozxw4L_MUmN5HmP1dMn67rdx4n0IoAURe1WbBJ3ty7uk1y9faqu2IbY_bGWQEBCt-mvky7ruWv1TsgFWqFEcTFOSbwHMYQrCT7-sevUMQFJuyaxSXVESYREZ0ZoAq0m6Di0PRMqrccONYy-Otc6Jgy023CBHvG8pvYixzuYJz_QMvjlCbwdAen-O16ZjzUr8cmsdvhtaFikuSgGAx76A7XW298dxlZptWJBgBi7GJQlLddacGotSMwuUYIBUKw8o-4gVTD09tW3hiKicLxcYo_c_n8pP-iv3aJw1LntSQ8NXsYK8YrkvlZUjFaCWr3sAC6djSFCEN1hHhhiCKHEeeafvux0cEf2ErWjV3GDcmqL968Ml8yeKvlX_95XzyTDgw2GUbHm-0pfIg=w1899-h982-no

The other one is a 40mm, which i actually haven't noticed much of a problem with in daily use (and only seeing it with https://imgur.com/XCZSJ7x), while the 44mm is very noticeable.

The 44mm is definitely going back, but consider keeping the 40mm, because I am really getting tired of exchanging and not really able to use the watches because they have to go back. Out of 4 watches, only two has been acceptable and that is, if I include the above 40mm..

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
i spoke with the cs and the problem with replacing the watch later (than in a return window, 14 days) is that they wont give you a new watch but an used watch. anyway, im keeping the current one and not going to send back and worth the watches. there seems to be a quality issue so thats why i said, that if you dont need it now, dont buy it - wait a few months...
Oh jeez really? I bought mine within the holiday return window so could I get it replaced with a new one after 2 weeks but before the holiday return deadline?

stevenbeerbaum

macrumors member
May 30, 2015
Waited 3 weeks for a new watch ... (yeah ... Express Exchange). No devices were available, so I waited and waited. On Friday I received a new device. After noticing it had a completely dead battery and charging it for 40 minutes I was able to check the display. It had a much worse display (Vertical lines in different shades of grey), the greenish left side and ... 4 stuck pixels.
Week 38 (17.09 - 23.09) ... Funny, because I waited 3 weeks for it, because "there were no devices available" ..

Will set up a new replacement as soon as possible (First case has to be closed first)

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Oh jeez really? I bought mine within the holiday return window so could I get it replaced with a new one after 2 weeks but before the holiday return deadline?

I guess that is a different thing because you can always return your watch anyway during that time.. The normal return window is 14 days.

I attached a photo of the replacement unit vs mine. The replacement is darker and the line on the screen is visible.

Attachments

• diff.jpg
    diff.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

Chopper read

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2014
Most people vote “no” because they don’t realize they have it. I have it but I wouldn’t have noticed it if it wasn’t for the grey picture test.
(Load this image on to your watch on full screen and look at it in a dark environment) https://i.imgur.com/XCZSJ7x.png
If you see some lighter parts around the edges your watch has uneven tint.

I can tell you this probably affects a vast majority of series 4 watches in some capacity, but it’s not usually noticeable in normal use.

If it’s not noticeable in “normal use” then why do it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.