Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ballgag

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2021
I honestly thought the pro/max series were the second iteration of M1 and now its being shown they are just an M1 in Apple's eyes. I got an M1Pro because at the time it was the perfect mid range. I'm now scared about losing OS support and would have waited until M3 Max if I knew in advance how it would unfold as a yearly update schedule also now that the Pro line will now be the base and the base will be a joke.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
I honestly thought the pro/max series were the second iteration of M1 and now its being shown they are just an M1 in Apple's eyes.
The "M1" in "M1 Pro" and the exact same CPU and GPU cores were not enough of a hint that it belonged to the same family? Sure, the M1 Pro and Max are a bit more advanced in that they have faster LPDDR5 memory, and that's nice, but that's about it. To answer your question, I'm very happy with my M1 Max, and expect to keep it until it is at least 5 years old.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I regretted my M1 Mac Studio, but that was because of the whine, not performance. It was a very nice machine performance-wise.

Reactions: jeffpeng

MacPoulet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2012
Canada
I bought a refurb 14” M1 Pro base back in September. I’m still happy with my purchase cause it’ll do everything I need for the next 4 years. Then I’ll probably get a newer one and pass this down to my kid.

My only regret is the US English keyboard. But it was a considerable difference in price.

TheGeneralist

macrumors regular
May 1, 2020
From my point of view, this way of thinking (OP) is a serious misconception.
If you argue like this, there is simply no point in time left where it would make sense to buy a Mac.
Never.
Ever.

I would optimistically assume that all M Series will receive good OS support and that the current lack of support for only slightly dated Intel models is due to the understandable necessity that Apple needs a reasonable plan to move over completely to Apple Silicon, leaving the burden of Intel support finally behind after an appropriate period.

The only real bad thing is that Hacks like OCLP won't work anymore on Apple Silicon - while being a very fine instrument to use 6-12 year old Intel Macs with current macOS without significant drawbacks, there will most likely be no such thing for Apple Silicon, so it will be entirely dependent on official support granted by Apple. But that will hit any M-Processor the same way - no advantage at all for a M3 Max compared to a M1 Pro.

Nick_P

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2020
I honestly thought the pro/max series were the second iteration of M1 and now its being shown they are just an M1 in Apple's eyes. I got an M1Pro because at the time it was the perfect mid range. I'm now scared about losing OS support and would have waited until M3 Max if I knew in advance how it would unfold as a yearly update schedule also now that the Pro line will now be the base and the base will be a joke.
What? So you would have rather had no computer, or an intel computer for 2 years? The M1-anything is way better than anything intel.

Last edited:

TheRoxyTheatre

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2022

Remove the ball from your mouth and take a deep breath. Your M1 Pro will be fine.

Reactions: trusso and Basic75

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Heck…..my Macbook Air from 2010 still work today!

seems to me apple will extend support on the m series processors
compared to the intel ones.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
My Mac Studio Max M1 32 GPU still satisfies my needs if I compare it to the upcoming Max M3. I was expecting more GPU cores from the new generation.

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002

Don't worry. Your M1Pro will last for many years and will be a solid workhorse! Then when it's time to replace it, you'll have the state-of-the art (for that time) CPUs to choose from. Tech is always moving forward.

I still use my 2013 Mac Pro, in addition to my 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro!

richmlow

kappisto

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2009
With this attitude, you will never be satisfied. Buy an M3, be miserable when then M4, M5 comes out!

In life, someone else will always have something better than you. Wishing for things not to improve just so you can still have the "best" is no way to live. Your computer is great and will last you many more years - don't worry, be happy.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
No need to worry. Generally, Apple supports their products for more less 7 years before they cut their support. I am fine with mine. Keep calm and be happy 😊

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2021
I have an M1 Max and it is an absolute beast. And it’s always hard not to get caught up in the FOMO when new chips come out.

With the way AS has been progressing, my next computer will probably not need to be top of the line. If the base m3 is as good as the benchmarks make it seem, I can’t imagine what the m4,5,6 will be like when it comes time to upgrade!

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
I still love my M1 Max 64 GB MBP 16. I use my macs 8 years(5 for pro work and 3 as home machine). I can see need for more RAM and GPU, but that isn’t gonna make me upgrade or make excuses to buy new M3. I will probably upgrade when it’s M5, and hopefully with 256 GB RAM in couple of years. Apple typically supports mac for 7-8 years.

Reactions: Basic75

xDeadTechx

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2020
There's a constant problem when something new gets released and someone rushes to the forums with a "Do you regret buying X" post.. technology evolves, Microprocessor technology evolves. Do the iPhone 14 Pro Max people regret buying their phone now that the 15 PM came out? probably not.. because at the time it was the best of the best iPhone that was available. The 14 PM can do everything the 15 PM can do.. minus some things like USB-C, 5X zoom etc.. it's called evolution of the product.

Same thing with computer's. If you need something more demanding that the M1 or M2 series can offer and the M3 suites your needs, upgrade but I'm sure at the time it "worked" for you and offered some higher level of performance than Intel based chips.

There is always going to be something faster around the corner, its technology and technology evolves.

I was pissed that Nissan changed their emblems on the Rogue from 2021 to 2022 but that doesn't make my Rogue inferior and neither should the M1 Pro be considered inferior. It works for people who use it day in and day out.

Reactions: dasjati

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Is there literally anyone left on MacRumors that isn't rendered absolutely non-functional by purchase-based over-analysis? These threads are beyond painful at this point.

If you need a computer as tool to do work or to make money or both: Buy what you need when you need it for what you need it to do. Budget should reflect its potential to advance your earnings. The moment it is no longer able to do what you need it to do, then you buy what is currently available that once again meets that need. What is "on the horizon" makes no difference. You buy to put into production, to earn money or advance a hobby or set of tasks. Repeat as budget allows.

If you are buying Apple products as an Apple-user lifestyle choice: Buy the low-end, mid-tier, or high-end depending on your available free income. What it does doesn't matter because you're buying it to own it, not to use it to potential or against earnings. But don't buy beyond your means. The moment there's a rumor (or better, an event announcement) that is likely to highlight a replacement for what you own, sell it immediately. Before the new model is on sale. Once the new models are on sale, jump back to the beginning.

There's literally no other reason to buy a computer. None. I guarantee any purchase will fit into one of these two pathways, and by following them, leaves you immune to whatever release schedule shenanigans Apple has in store.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.