Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
I came from a 2015 15" MBP. Its fans were running almost constantly. Some keys barely worked. And just a few weeks before Apple showed the M1 Pro/Max MBPs I cracked its screen. Sigh.

The M1 Pro MBP 14" is night and day compared to that. I'm still amazed how nice it is and how well it works. And it's just the base model with some extra storage space!

Reactions: throAU

flybass

macrumors member
May 1, 2015
I have no regrets. I bought a M1 Max 14 inch w 64GB ram + 1 Tb SSD at the launch. It has been a great computer for software development and leisure activities.

Reactions: Basic75

reklex

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2021
Catujal
was working for 1 hour on a base M3 Max with 36GB RAM earlier today and…

The jump from Intel to M1 Macbook Pro (especially the M1 Max) was just too good imho.

save your money and get a refurb or used M1 Max beefed up with 64GB RAM. You will save like close to 2k or more and still get a beast of a machine.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Regret? The 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro was the best upgrade in Apple their entire history.
- Huge battery life increase over the Intel MacBook Pro it replaced
- No fan noise while the Intel MacBook Pro was fan noise city.
- Huge performance increase over the Intel MacBook Pro
- Mini-LED display
- 120hz display
- complete redesign
- more ports

I don't think we will see an upgrade like this ever again.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Nope. Bought an M1 Pro MBP, and it's the best laptop I've ever bought. I can't even trouble the CPU with my workload. Over the years, I've found I usually get six years of use out of my Macs before necessity calls for an upgrade.

I imagine that it will be a long time before M1 chips don't made the grade for a future OS. The Bluetooth and WiFi standards aren't going anywhere soon, either. Likewise USB-C. No doubt the M7 MBPs will have "the next thing" in tech that everyone will want; but until then, I'm hoping NOT to upgrade this for a long time (given the price...!)

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
I was pissed that Nissan changed their emblems on the Rogue from 2021 to 2022 but that doesn't make my Rogue inferior and neither should the M1 Pro be considered inferior.
Thanks, now I’m insecure about the look of my "old" Renault logo! 😰

renault-logo-redesign-700x350.jpg

Reactions: Chuckeee

MacMeHappy

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Regret? The 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro was the best upgrade in Apple their entire history.
- Mini-LED display
- 120hz display
- complete redesign
- more ports

Of the above - no fan noise. I just love that. Oh - and performance. It hasn't slowed down since I got it in 2021. Nice.

Nope. No regrets. None. Not a single one.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
Nope, love my M1-Pro. If I had waited until the M3 then I wouldn’t have been able to enjoy it for two years.
this exactly. two years of having an m1 max replace my 2018 dumpster fire pro is worth infinitely more to me. and i hope they keep improving year over year so i have another great upgrade to look forwards to down the line.

Reactions: Burnincoco

Appletoni

Suspended
Mar 26, 2021
I honestly thought the pro/max series were the second iteration of M1 and now its being shown they are just an M1 in Apple's eyes. I got an M1Pro because at the time it was the perfect mid range. I'm now scared about losing OS support and would have waited until M3 Max if I knew in advance how it would unfold as a yearly update schedule also now that the Pro line will now be the base and the base will be a joke.
That the Pro will be the base and the base will be a joke, that was obvious from the beginning.
That's why I bought the MacBook Pro 16-inch M1 MAX maxed out from the beginning. No regrets.
And now changed to M3 MAX maxed out.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Ive got a mac Mini M2 Pro 16Gb 1TB and that will last me years, not bothered about the new M3 Pro because like with my iPhone I don't update every year or every two years I update when I have to not when the hype of 'want' taps on my shoulder. Most people update computers at 5 years my intel iMac did 7 years, like someone else said here when I do update I'll be in for a much bigger boost, I wouldn't even update from A M1 Pro or M1 Max, its just to soon, and then the M4/M5 etc will be released. Enjoy what you have and you buy when you need not as a fashion statement or because there's a new M series in town. If yours still does its job which it should happily wait it out, M1 max to M3 max is a big leap but still not enough to get most people to keep throwing money into a Apple pit for the sake of having the latest and not always greatest Apple incarnation.

Last edited:

AppleMan2015

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
I have an M1 Pro 16" MBP - Amazon says I bought it Feb 2022. I don't really use it that often (I use my phone and iPad mini more) but I am still amazed by this machine. Every time I open it the screen is just mezmerizing. The speed is incredible. The battery is impressive. All around I love this Mac. It's basically everything I could ever ask for in a laptop. Yeah the M2 and M3 are out there, but even so, I don't think the M1 Pro is a bad chip by any stretch and it clobbers my previous intel version Macs by long shots.

Flowstates

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2023
Bought my M1 Pro 14'' 16/1TB on release.

My computers are most likely the material items I get the most utility/$ from, absolutely no regrets.

And I do not regret getting appleCare+ either, but that is another story =).

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
- Mini-LED display
- 120hz display
- complete redesign
- more ports

Until Apple switches processors. Again. :)

PowerPC -> Intel -> Mx -> ???

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Until Apple switches processors. Again. :)

PowerPC -> Intel -> Mx -> ???
The 68K > PowerPC > Intel > AS transitions all happened because the previous processors couldn't deliver the performance Apple wanted. For Apple to change again Apple Silicon would have to start seriously lagging behind its competition.

Certificate of Excellence

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2021
Enjoy the beast you have - no regrets. Given the robustness of Apple silicon, I’d like to think that Apple will provide longer macOS support. I can’t think of what could be added that would cripple an M1 max in 5 years aside from planned obsolescence.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
- 120hz display
Unfortunately the M1 generation has abysmal pixel response times. Like the worst on the market. Makes me wonder how useful 120Hz really is. At least they seem to be slowly improving with every generation.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
As a M1 owner, does this post relate to my 2 computers?

that is the same as asking those with a 2K monitor……

chars1ub0w

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017
Here, there and over there
My M1 Max MBP 16” only has 64GB of RAM and only 4TB SSD. No HDMI 2.1 so it can’t drive the 8K monitors. The M3 Max can. And has much more RAM. And I regret only having 4TB. I now have a Zike drive with a 4TB Lexan SSD hanging off via the short Thunderbolt cable for video use. 8TB would have been better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.