Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkmatter343

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Was it mentioned anywhere, reviews, YT etc, if this new MKB still has the sharp lip that went around the side edge of the older KB, the lips where the materials joined. Always found that annoying when carrying the ipad. I know this one has a metal palm rest but correct me if I'm wrong, it's still using the same old material for the outside.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Was it mentioned anywhere, reviews, YT etc, if this new MKB still has the sharp lip that went around the side edge of the older KB, the lips where the materials joined. Always found that annoying when carrying the ipad. I know this one has a metal palm rest but correct me if I'm wrong, it's still using the same old material for the outside.
Looks like there is still a lip

Reactions: rmariboe

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This is the most frustrated I think I’ve been with Apple, maybe ever.

The whole thing with Apple is supposed to be that you buy into the ecosystem, so that you have ultimate compatibility, but then they keep artificially making products that aren’t even a year old obsolete and unable to use new accessories. This isn’t new, but this is by far the most egregious.

Seeing this case not being listed as compatible with the m2 iPad pros made me frustrated. When the Magic Keyboard first came out, it was compatible with the last one, even if the fit wasn’t perfect.

The pro pencil being limited to the new air and pro is outright outrageous. I have an iPad specifically because I love to draw. I do design for work and wish I could use proper cad (or even better revit, but that’s not even on the Mac). I just bought a new iPad last year because I finally wanted to take advantage of Apple silicon. Why the hell am I buying a new Apple product when literally a year later they are gonna stop making accessories that are compatible with it, just to force people to buy new products? It’s totally arbitrary, and I’m sure someone will say, “oh but it has this new tech that Apple couldn’t make it compatible with older models”… ********. There is no world where that is true. Not for the freakin pencil… I’m hoping it’s just poor language on the Apple Store app, because otherwise…

I don’t know how to justify buying into this system anymore. A 130$ accessory is bad enough, but making people who want to take advantage of it drop another $1000 is highway robbery. If they don’t announce full compatibility with MacOS apps at wwdc or something major to bring it in line with an actual productive device (which I’m sure if they do will be limited to M4) I might be done with iPad.
The Pencil 2 was around for 6 years. It won’t work with a landscape camera iPad because the magnets are in the wrong place. I expect the Pencil Pro will be around at least as long. I see Apple gradually dropping the Pencil 1 and 2 as compatible devices become vintage/obsolete. We will just have the Apple Pencil USB-C and Apple Pencil Pro for all new iPads (including the next gen base and the next iPad mini which we may see this fall).

It is a bit frustrating that the new Magic Keyboard is compatible only with the new Pros and not the new Airs, but at the same time those who get an M2 Air can use an existing Magic Keyboard. The new Pros have different dimensions and slightly larger screens. Plus it’s about time the Pros get haptic trackpads like the MacBooks.

PowerButton

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2022
🤦‍♂️ How dark can we possible get the product image of the keyboard 🤷‍♂️
I mean that’s pretty ridiculous.

Chidoro

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
$300 is asinine. What the ‘magic’, that’ll make $300 disappear on a product that should cost 40% that amount?

• Wow
Reactions: G5isAlive

Mike Wolf

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2022
No. The new Keyboard is only available for use with a M4 Chip. (Source Apple Store Specs.)
To be completely honest that doesn’t really mean much. From what I can tell from product images, they’re still using the same three pin Smart Connector that we’ve seen since the 2018 iPad Pro refresh. It’s entirely possible it’s secretly compatible, but we won’t know until someone takes the plunge and does hands on testing, like here https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/05/23/yes-the-old-magic-keyboard-works-on-the-2021-ipad-pro

tuyylihk

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
Confused.

Go down at the bottom and you can find:
Magic Keyboard is sold separately. Compatible with iPad Air (M2), iPad Pro 11-inch (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generation), iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th generation), and iPad Air (4th and 5th generation).

So is this the truth or just a copy page mistake? Can the new keyboard compatible with older iPad Pro?

Reactions: hr10

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
In terms of price: MacBook Air 512GB + iPad = iPad Pro 512GB + new MKB

I'd say for 90+% of people the left side of the equation is a no brainer better value.
I guess we’ll see from the sales figures (to whatever degree analysts will be able to estimate model sales pro vs air). Personally, I see the tandem-OLED display to be a compelling and distinctive feature—not even the MBP’s have this particular new OLED implementation.
I do really dislike the pricing of the Magic Keyboard…but the first gen one has served me really well, and I prefer it to others I’ve tried. I particularly love the floating design, and the key movement is great for typing.
I’ll probably bite the bullet and get one along with the new OLED iPP. Now, if I can just keep myself from buying the 1TB model, which I really don’t need! :p

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
My guess, Apple doesn't care about Canada's inflation. 🤔
Canadian pricing also includes their VAT/PST/HST(?), which is at least 10% and in some provinces 15%. US prices don’t include sales tax (which some states don’t have, or have very low or high rates). Here in NYC it’s 8.75% added.

Reactions: Razorpit

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
I hope this is not of low quality like Apple Smart Folio... I had two of them fail right after the two-year warranty period. The keyboard did not recognize my typing and default on-screen keyboard appeared. I tried every troubleshooting step possible, but had no success.
My first MKB has lasted nearly 4 years now. Still working well and in mostly good shape (I may have gotten the keys wet too many times when cleaning it, and one key cover broke and fell off 2 months ago, one of the arrow keys). So, decent longevity. I treated this keyboard much more roughly than I would ever treat a laptop!

Reactions: G5isAlive

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
I'm disappointed by the combination of the non-detachable keyboard part and the ipad pro going thin and keeping the camera bump. This means if you take the ipad from the keyboard to write, you won't have stability without carrying around an additional back cover. That camera bump is an unnecessary plague.
I don’t see how the keyboard could be detachable from an already detachable cover! Certainly with added bulk and finickyness, maybe.
But I totally agree on the camera bump - so very stupid, especially on a tablet. I can only imagine the percentage of people who use their ipad back cameras for anything other than an occasional scanned item must number in the low 5%!

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
When they release macOS for iPad at WWDC24 it will 😅
More like WWDC 2035. MacOS is not coming to the iPad anytime soon—no way! That would eliminate or dramatically impact all of their laptop sales. Not to mention that MacOS would need a ground-up retooling for touch. Apple can barely manage not to break core features with each iPadOS update. I would really dread to see what kind of mess their lack of focus across divisions would lead to if they were to truly attempt to bring MacOS to the iPad line.
Would I love to see it happen—yes! But I don’t think it’s likely anytime soon,

• Sad

SamboSoul

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2020
To be completely honest that doesn’t really mean much. From what I can tell from product images, they’re still using the same three pin Smart Connector that we’ve seen since the 2018 iPad Pro refresh. It’s entirely possible it’s secretly compatible, but we won’t know until someone takes the plunge and does hands on testing, like here https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/05/23/yes-the-old-magic-keyboard-works-on-the-2021-ipad-pro
Agree. Just like the Smart Keyboard of my old 9.7 iPad is compatible with my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5; it doesn’t quite align in terms of size but it’s perfectly useable and I’ve been using it for years. It really needs someone to test this. I hope it actually works and we’re not getting a “accessory not supported” message.

tobybrut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2010
Agree. Just like the Smart Keyboard of my old 9.7 iPad is compatible with my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5; it doesn’t quite align in terms of size but it’s perfectly useable and I’ve been using it for years. It really needs someone to test this. I hope it actually works and we’re not getting a “accessory not supported” message.
The big test is whether sticking an iPad Air on the new Magic Keyboard would make it topple over, assuming the magnets are in the same place for the Air to attach at all. The main differences between the previous and new keyboard are weight and the angle of the hinge. Because the Pro got a lot lighter, that meant the keyboard could get lighter because you need the bottom half to be heavier than the top half for stability. Would the Air be heavier than the base of the keyboard? If so, the whole setup would fall over backwards.

In addition, the angle of the hinge is important. The older keyboard has the hinge angled towards to front, which shifts the center of mass forward and allowing a heavy iPad to be supported without toppling over. The new keyboard’s hinge looks to be completely vertical. A heavy iPad would probably topple over with the center of mass being more towards the back.

Increasing space to allow for a row of function keys and a larger trackpad means that the iPad can’t sit as far forward as it does with the older keyboard. But pushing the iPad back could easily destabilike the whole setup. The new Pro, being lighter, can be pushed further back with less of a loss of stability.

We’ll find out when people start getting deliveries.

kangyula

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2024
I don’t see how the keyboard could be detachable from an already detachable cover! Certainly with added bulk and finickyness, maybe.
But I totally agree on the camera bump - so very stupid, especially on a tablet. I can only imagine the percentage of people who use their ipad back cameras for anything other than an occasional scanned item must number in the low 5%!
Easy, divide the back cover in two. The red part attaches to the ipad, and stays on, while the blue portion is part of the keyboard hinge. While the red one doesn't provide full protection, it's only job is to be stable and even on a table while using the pencil, without the added bulkness of the keyboard. The exact portions should be determined by how big the blue portion must be so it will be stable when attached to the keyboard.

A simpler solution would be similar to what the Brydge Air Max+ did, but that's more heavy.

Attachments

• RS122932.jpeg
    RS122932.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 11

@Brett

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2016
The features look cool, but the $30 folding keyboard I got from Amazon does about 99% of the same things, and can fit in my jeans pocket. 🤪
I have that old keyboard of my M1 iPad Pro 12.9 and it cost me $579 in Australia. Plus it was just shy of $3000 for the iPad. New one is pricier again. Might pass for now. Due to update my MacBook Pro and my M1 is still going strong.

davegreb

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
Atlanta,GA
I have a M1 iPad Pro. The best keyboard is the Logitech. The keyboard detaches when I need to watch. It’s super protective (I’ve dropped my previous one a couple of times, no damage), trackpad, shortcut keys. Best of all, it’s usually on sale for less than $150.

• Love
Reactions: Razorpit and sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
This keyboard sounds like a great option for those who want a laptop-like experience, but I think something got lost along the way. I'm one of those oddballs who actually enjoyed (and still enjoy) the old Apple Smart Keyboard Cover. I had one for my 1st gen 12.9 iPad Pro, and have one for my 9th gen iPad.

The ASKC is super thin, super lightweight, easy to remove, and somewhat reasonably priced (especially compared to Apple's keyboard options for the rest of the iPad lineup). I'm going to miss it terribly when I need to move on from the 9th gen iPad.

I have a M1 iPad Pro. The best keyboard is the Logitech. The keyboard detaches when I need to watch. It’s super protective (I’ve dropped my previous one a couple of times, no damage), trackpad, shortcut keys. Best of all, it’s usually on sale for less than $150.
I have Logitech's Combo Touch for my 9th gen iPad. I DO like having the trackpad and shortcut keys. Detaching the keyboard and using the kickstand is indeed very convenient. The only downside is the bulk and weight. It adds something like 2.5x the thickness and feels like 3x weight. It's a beast. (I bought mine for $99 USD)

incidentallycheckout

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2024
The Combo Touch? Yes it is a great product.

• Love
Reactions: Razorpit

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
Canadian pricing also includes their VAT/PST/HST(?), which is at least 10% and in some provinces 15%. US prices don’t include sales tax (which some states don’t have, or have very low or high rates). Here in NYC it’s 8.75% added.
People in Canada and Europe never seem to realize where their government services come from. It has to be paid for by someone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.