Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple canceled its Apple Car project in February 2024 and stopped all internal work on autonomous, electric vehicles. But the company still has its sights set on impacting the EV market, and Rivian could be the avenue for its ambitions, according to rumors out of Taiwan.

tim-cook-apple-car.jpeg
Apple canceled its "Project Titan" EV project earlier this year.

DigiTimes reports that Apple is "studying the possibility" of a partnership with Rivian, although this seems to be based on speculation within the supply chain, and what form such a collab would take remains a mystery.

The report notes that a sluggish EV market has left many startups struggling for survival, yet Rivian's delivery vehicle partnership with Amazon remains strong, and could even factor into Apple's interest. From the report:
"A partnership with Rivian might also indirectly involve Amazon, which could open the door to collaboration between Apple and Amazon in generative AI, the sources said."
The report links Apple’s generative AI ambitions with the rumor, tying it to innovations within the EV space such as AI smart voice and driving assistance. It's all very speculative.

Some sort of basic CarPlay integration could be fueling the chatter, and there could be nothing more behind it. It's worth noting that Rivian is also under market pressure to perform during the mass production phase of its latest fleet of midsize R2 and R3 cars, so this rumor could just be part of an attempt to revive shareholder interest. On that basis, it would be wise to quell expectations until other reports corroborate the claim.

Article Link: Apple Car Interest Revived by Rivian Partnership Rumor

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
They could buy out Fisker for pennies if there was an actual interest in some kind of EV manufacturing. Why does Rivian make any more sense?

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I wonder if this is an effort to realise some revenue from the failed Apple Car project. Perhaps a transfer of IP and know-how to Rivian in exchange for shares. What does Apple have to offer otherwise? CarPlay 2 is available for any manufacturer to implement and Apple's self-driving tech (presumably the whole point of their ambition in the car market) was likely considered by the company to be not suitable for a near term product.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
>Siri, open the trunk.
>Here's what I found on the web.
"Siri, take me home. "
"Here are the Home depos I could find nearby"

To be true, when the rumours of Apple trying to bring AI features in 2024 started, feels like Siri is totally forgotten. Siri was an amazing feature when it was released. But in years it was only getting worse, when other assistants like Google or Alexa became far better. Yesterday I asked Siri to call "Jonathan" and it started calling "Peter"!!

ddtmm

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Apple would be smart to partner with Rivian and go that route instead of trying to go it alone like they were originally. If there is more to the rumor than just a CarPlay move it could turn out to be a good partnership. I know Rivian would love to rival Tesla in a meaningful way.

blastdoor

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2022
I wonder if this is an effort to realise some revenue from the failed Apple Car project. Perhaps a transfer of IP and know-how to Rivian in exchange for shares. What does Apple have to offer otherwise?
A giant pile of money. That combined with the stuff you mention could certainly give them a major stake in Rivian. Although at that point, might as well just buy the sucker.

iPay

macrumors regular
May 25, 2023
Song of the fat lady. Meanwhile, if Elon keeps breaking his toys+people in Caligula mode, this can wet Apple's appetite for Tesla. Just musing, but their path to future earnings aren't that clear.

TTTedP

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2017
Just like rocket ships and AI bots, it's trendy to have one in your stable - so given that, I'd argue Rivian is the most "Apple-like"

TTTedP

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2017
If you follow Rivian, getting CarPlay is kind of the running joke. So, happy Tuesday!

Last edited:

incidentallycheckout

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2024
Song of the fat lady. Meanwhile, if Elon keeps breaking his toys+people in Caligula mode, this can wet Apple's appetite for Tesla. Just musing, but their path to future earnings aren't that clear.
It'd take a lot for Tesla to fall into Apple buying it territory. Still currently valued at nearly 600 billion.

Reactions: gusmula

incidentallycheckout

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2024
As a small Rivian shareholder it sounds like a fake story and until I see proof I call it BS because there are so many lies in this late stage capitalism. If it turns out to be untrue just to pump a stock someone needs to go to jail for our entertainment.
I know people love to use the phrase "late stage capitalism" about everything these days but stock manipulation has existed since the market has existed.

Not saying this is a false rumor though since obviously nobody here knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.