Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cocky jeremy

Suspended
Jul 12, 2008
EV startups having a list of priorities? Lucid shipped cars without CarPlay and then it was added later in an OTA update. They probably focused on the native car software and delayed a decision or work on CarPlay thinking it was not worth blocking shipping vehicles for it. Their Amazon delivery van sure doesn't need it. The market can decide how valuable it is and if customers want to buy it.
I can't imagine adding CarPlay is a lot of work when you compare to designing an entire car from scratch.

Reactions: jefish

jimbobb24

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
yeah, F progress. Amirite?
Not everything is progress just because we want it to be...

That said...I just got a Tesla and it's amazing. We still need a new battery technology but one significant battery upgrade and internal combustion is toast for cars. Trucks are another thing...carrying a load murders batteries but maybe the next battery upgrade will kill them too.

Reactions: gusmula

averagenerd81

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2020
Out there man
You are correct. Our family is constantly on the go. We could never own one. Owned a hybrid once. Am I in your grace now?

I have sibling who likes to tell me how busy her family is, has two Tesla's and a ICE. Guess which vehicle gets used whenever they actually do something or go somewhere. I have friends with EV's and have picked them up on the road to take them to lunch while their cars were charging because they out of range to get home. Tesla's are fun toys, but that's all that they are.

So you daily drive more than 280-300 miles?

I really don't believe that someone who owned an EV really can't drive their car on a daily basis, even being "busy".

I put almost 22K last year alone on our model 3 and never, not a single time, worried about range or charging. I have no clue what you all are doing. I don't care if you dislike them, they aren't for everyone and I am not the EV champion, just refuting your claims because they are absurd.

Edit: Lets go even lower, lets say you have an ID.4 or a leaf or something like that .. lets just say, you drive more than 150-200 miles on a daily basis?

Last edited:

RyBike

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011

I really don't believe that someone who owned an EV really can't drive their car on a daily basis, even being "busy".

I put almost 22K last year alone on our model 3 and never, not a single time, worried about range or charging. I have no clue what you all are doing. I don't care if you dislike them, they aren't for everyone and I am not the EV champion, just refuting your claims because they are absurd.

Edit: Lets go even lower, lets say you have an ID.4 or a leaf or something like that .. lets just say, you drive more than 150-200 miles on a daily basis?
Exactly. You would need to drive 200-300 miles a day for it to be an issue. Almost everyone I know owns an EV and I have never heard of someone needing to “charge during the day” or heard someone mention that they couldn’t do something because their car was charging.

We have two cars and both are EVs. No range anxiety. Charging is a HUGE time saver (1 second to plug in at home compared to 10 minutes getting gas). But…I did get range anxiety all the time when I owned a gas car (“Shoot, I should have got gas yesterday. Can I make it to my meeting or should I stop?”). Plugging in at home and letting your car charge while you do something else is such an advantage. You would have to pay me so much to go back to the hassle of a gas car.

Reactions: jefish

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021

Exactly. You would need to drive 200-300 miles a day for it to be an issue. Almost everyone I know owns an EV and I have never heard of someone needing to “charge during the day” or heard someone mention that they couldn’t do something because their car was charging.

We have two cars and both are EVs. No range anxiety. Charging is a HUGE time saver (1 second to plug in at home compared to 10 minutes getting gas). But…I did get range anxiety all the time when I owned a gas car (“Shoot, I should have got gas yesterday. Can I make it to my meeting or should I stop?”). Plugging in at home and letting your car charge while you do something else is such an advantage. You would have to pay me so much to go back to the hassle of a gas car.
🤣 Who are you all trying to fool. NO ONE is getting 280-300 miles on a charge. When you are actually DRIVING in the real world and not trying to write a puff piece for the web, actual mileage is a fraction of that. No one drives 70 MPH on the highway as these articles claim except Tesla’s and Toyota Prius’. And charging your EV to 100% is a big no no, as well as letting the battery get below 20%.

And yes I often drive that distance. I have seen A few hotels with them, but usually some pompous jerk has it tied-up all week/weekend.

• Disagree
Reactions: jefish and gusmula

averagenerd81

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2020
Out there man
🤣 Who are you all trying to fool. NO ONE is getting 280-300 miles on a charge. When you are actually DRIVING in the real world and not trying to write a puff piece for the web, actual mileage is a fraction of that. No one drives 70 MPH on the highway as these articles claim except Tesla’s and Toyota Prius’. And charging your EV to 100% is a big no no, as well as letting the battery get below 20%.

And yes I often drive that distance. I have seen A few hotels with them, but usually some pompous jerk has it tied-up all week/weekend.

Well, it's clear you just know best and we never get the range we state. We're just liars here writing because we're paid by (let me check, who is it today?) the company. Yada yada yada, blah blah blah.

Have a good one, I am not going to argue with you. Enjoy your ICE, I'll enjoy my EV.

RyBike

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011

Uh…I do. Our rated range is 348 miles, but we get 300. Spoiler: not everything you read on the Internet is true. I can drive from Phoenix to Tucson and back on a single charge (at over 70mph), with many many miles to spare. And, it is actually okay to charge your car to 100%, you just don’t want the cells to sit at capacity for a long period of time. So, you click a button and have it charge to 100% right before a road trip. Super easy.

I highly doubt you drive that distance on a frequent basis, but if that is indeed the case, then you are a very VERY rare driver, and it would be illogical to extrapolate your driving patterns to the population as a whole. The average driver drives between 30 and 40 miles per day (this is reality; I study transportation for my job as an academic). Thus, the average driver can easily recoup those miles charging at home (even using a standard outlet).

Road trips are somewhat different, but still favor the EV. Short road trips allow you to charge at home and then at your AirBnB, relative’s house, or hotel (I’ve never had an issue charging at a hotel). Thus, your actually time cost is 0 minutes, whereas a gas car would need to stop at least once at a gas station. Longer road trips will require stops at fast-chargers, but our car is always ready before we are (food, bathroom breaks, etc.). So, from a time standpoint, the EV and ICE are a wash.

melonbread5

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2024
I don't understand people who want an Apple Car, it would be extremely unaffordable and repairs will likely be the biggest PITA.

TTTedP

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2017
🤣 Who are you all trying to fool. NO ONE is getting 280-300 miles on a charge.
I can get 250 easily, driving any style I want. 300 by doing the speed limit.

It's a car! who cares if its fueled by gas or electricity. Honestly, just own one before commenting with absolutes. I kept telling myself "10 more years" before EV would be a purchase option and instead, jumped in the waters. I found all the stuff I read about EVs (particularly certain sources) just wasn't the case.

dozoy

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2024
Get ready for software updates (with no release notes, because Apple) that change the action of the suspension or steering (because Rivian).

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
Well, it's clear you just know best and we never get the range we state. We're just liars here writing because we're paid by (let me check, who is it today?) the company. Yada yada yada, blah blah blah.

Have a good one, I am not going to argue with you. Enjoy your ICE, I'll enjoy my EV.
I know because I have friends that own them and I talk to them. They all admit none of them get the range advertised. I guess they’re lying to me because (check my notes) to tell me I was right? Enjoy the EV.

Uh…I do. Our rated range is 348 miles, but we get 300. Spoiler: not everything you read on the Internet is true. I can drive from Phoenix to Tucson and back on a single charge (at over 70mph), with many many miles to spare. And, it is actually okay to charge your car to 100%, you just don’t want the cells to sit at capacity for a long period of time. So, you click a button and have it charge to 100% right before a road trip. Super easy.

I highly doubt you drive that distance on a frequent basis, but if that is indeed the case, then you are a very VERY rare driver, and it would be illogical to extrapolate your driving patterns to the population as a whole. The average driver drives between 30 and 40 miles per day (this is reality; I study transportation for my job as an academic). Thus, the average driver can easily recoup those miles charging at home (even using a standard outlet).

Road trips are somewhat different, but still favor the EV. Short road trips allow you to charge at home and then at your AirBnB, relative’s house, or hotel (I’ve never had an issue charging at a hotel). Thus, your actually time cost is 0 minutes, whereas a gas car would need to stop at least once at a gas station. Longer road trips will require stops at fast-chargers, but our car is always ready before we are (food, bathroom breaks, etc.). So, from a time standpoint, the EV and ICE are a wash.
That’s a pretty flat drive. Nothing like that around here. Closest route I make (Pittsburgh to Erie) is about 4x the steepness. Flattestroute.com Most routes are significantly steeper. Guess you could get better mileage Under those conditions.

Outside of charging at home there aren’t stations like you have there. You have to go miles out of your way to find a spot, and you better hope that spot is working or no one is in front of you. I travel a lot for work and with the kids. Very few hotels in the mid west have places where you can charge. Everything is offsite. I have enough going on without having to find a place and leave it there.

Long trips are generally, but not always on the weekends. Doesn’t matter how many you do, it’s how many are you willing to put up with all the hassles. When I’m on the road I‘m worrying about team stuff. I have a strict schedule I need to work by. Five minutes at a gas station isn’t going to interfere with anything.

It's a car! who cares if its fueled by gas or electricity. Honestly, just own one before commenting with absolutes. I kept telling myself "10 more years" before EV would be a purchase option and instead, jumped in the waters. I found all the stuff I read about EVs (particularly certain sources) just wasn't the case.
My mileage would increase dramatically if I did the speed limit. 😁 Someday I might have one if they’re still around, but after not being able to figure it out after having a fifty year head start on the ICE. I don’t have my hopes up. Yes EV’s are getting better, but so are ICE’s.

Reactions: gusmula

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
On the other hand, Apple just debuted the M4.
The only M4 in my head:
2025-bmw-m4-coupe-front-three-quarters-motion-65b935ea5dde6.jpg

🤣

TTTedP

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2017
fifty year head start on the ICE
Battery chemistry has a big part to play. Has changed a lot and still not final. ICE efficiency changed in that time as well. Imagine a 4cyl car from 50 yrs ago vs now, yuck!

They all admit none of them get the range advertised
It's the problem with companies quoting battery capacity. I get why they do it, because they're trying to convince people it will be OK to road trip with, but range is subjective. We don't use the same stat for gas cars ("you will get 400 miles on a tank of gas!"). Better one is cost or energy per mile. $46 last month to keep it "fueled" up while driving my day to days.

I'll be the first to say I love a turbo car with a manual. Nothing like it. But I also recognize that the performance and experience of an EV is pretty darn cool.

Last edited:

Dhonk

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2015
They could buy out Fisker for pennies if there was an actual interest in some kind of EV manufacturing. Why does Rivian make any more sense?
Because Rivian makes the sharp looking EV SUVs. Tesla makes cars and crossovers (they call them SUVS) but they are nothing like SUVs. As someone that enjoys a Wrangler and is considering a new Land Cruiser, I'd consider a Rivian R2

Reactions: performa_6400

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This would be excellent news. I love Rivian’s design aesthetic. The new R2 is almost what I imagined an Apple Car might look like from a practical point of view. I would get one if EVs had better range and more charging stations and were closer to being in a somewhat reasonable price range and if it had CarPlay. That’s a lot of ifs, lmao. I imagine I’m not too different than a lot of average consumers, at least when it comes to cars. For that reason, they’re screwed.

To be fair, a lot of EV makers are screwed. The market isn’t ready for mass adoption of EVs. Most of the initial waves were hype and rich people who live in big cities and mostly fly everywhere when traveling more than a few hundred miles. The rest of the 90% of us are like “We don’t want to pay an early adopter tax on something that is less practical where everything is run through a touch screen that will break and leave us stranded.”

I love the concept of EVs and getting off fossil fuels but what we really need right now are a lot of super efficient plug-in hybrids. And while we’re slowly getting more options, there are still a lot of cars out there where you don’t even have a hybrid option, and yet for some of these cars they have an EV version. See the Kia Telluride / EV9. Both excellent cars that are highly reviewed and loved by their owners (I love my Telly), but why is there not a freaking hybrid Telluride? The EV9 is built on the Telluride platform and they are nearly identical inside and even share similar body lines and external dimensions. And the Telluride only gets 24/18mpg. Meanwhile my buddy’s plugin Sportage gets 35mpg and 34 miles of all electric range.

cocky jeremy

Suspended
Jul 12, 2008

Who cares if it's electric or gas? The people that don't have two hours of free time to sit in their car as it charges. I can't imagine sitting at a gas station for 2 hours to fill up my gas to 80%. 🤣

averagenerd81

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2020
Out there man
Who cares if it's electric or gas? The people that don't have two hours of free time to sit in their car as it charges. I can't imagine sitting at a gas station for 2 hours to fill up my gas to 80%. 🤣

Nobody with an EV is sitting at a DC fast charger for 2 hours waiting for a charge. Our typical driving on a road trip is no more than 15 minutes at a fast charging station. Even the slowest charging cars out there (the Bolt, at this point) does a faster charge than that.

Reactions: Mojohanna32

Mojohanna32

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
you can't imagine that becuase its not what happens. longest I have sat at a supercharger is about 35 min going from about 33% to 90%. It would have been less time had I only gone to 80%.

Most of the time, I put it on the chargers we have our our apartment and I just let it go. THese are much slower chargers (about 1/3 or 1/4 of the output of a Supercharger) so it takes much longer. But I've never run into any issues so far.

cocky jeremy

Suspended
Jul 12, 2008
you can't imagine that becuase its not what happens. longest I have sat at a supercharger is about 35 min going from about 33% to 90%. It would have been less time had I only gone to 80%.

Most of the time, I put it on the chargers we have our our apartment and I just let it go. THese are much slower chargers (about 1/3 or 1/4 of the output of a Supercharger) so it takes much longer. But I've never run into any issues so far.
35 minutes is far too long too.

TTTedP

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2017
I usually like your comments but this one is just misinformed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.