Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TTTedP

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2017
They could buy out Fisker for pennies if there was an actual interest in some kind of EV manufacturing. Why does Rivian make any more sense?
Fisker outsources all their manufacturing - and their bow just went under the waves. Rivian, everything is in house. And I'd argue the DNA is a closer match.

Last edited:

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
I know people love to use the phrase "late stage capitalism" about everything these days but stock manipulation has existed since the market has existed.

Not saying this is a false rumor though since obviously nobody here knows.

Sure but these days the lies are extreme and they have given everyone a stock trading app so that even more people can lie on behalf of the liars and even more people can get scammed. It’s all money flowing into the hands of a minority. It’s like a systematic vacuuming up of everyone’s money.

They let a few people win but the majority get shafted because they have bills to pay and can’t hold on to their stocks all the time.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Why not just buy Rivian, take their tech, mix it with what you've developed and go on? I mean, they already have cars that exist.

targetnovember

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2023
Wait, they don't have CarPlay? What is with these electric car companies and not doing CarPlay?! Weird!
EV startups having a list of priorities? Lucid shipped cars without CarPlay and then it was added later in an OTA update. They probably focused on the native car software and delayed a decision or work on CarPlay thinking it was not worth blocking shipping vehicles for it. Their Amazon delivery van sure doesn't need it. The market can decide how valuable it is and if customers want to buy it.

Reactions: ToyoCorollaGR

averagenerd81

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2020
Out there man
Wait, they don't have CarPlay? What is with these electric car companies and not doing CarPlay?! Weird!

They do their own UI, in most cases it is fine and I don't miss CarPlay. Though, having options is always great so I would gladly take it.

I am waiting on the R2 in 2026, at that point I'll dump our Model 3. Would be nice by then to have CarPlay as an option.

Honestly though it's all irony since some EV manufacturers not including it is a very Apple move by being super protective over their platform...

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
yeah, F progress. Amirite?
Depends on what your definition of progress is. Calling something "progressive" doesn't make it so. If range anxiety, sitting in a charging line for hours on end, unreliable charging stations, disastrous vehicle fires, minor accidents totaling your vehicle, costly repairs, reduced distance in hot/cold weather, an electric grid that cannot support a complete vehicle changeover, is your definition of progress then have at it, (while you still can). The general public is starting to wise up and ditch the EV.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Nothing is going to save Rivian or the EV industry for that matter.
An EV is the best selling car in the world right now... Like more than any gas car... So not sure what you're basing this on.... Just because Rivian fails does not mean EV's in general fail.

Reactions: jefish

chateau20

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2024

I doubt anyone wants to buy electric cars anymore, just look at all the electric car disasters in China.
And I guarantee NO ONE wants to buy a driverless AI powered electric car. The video proves it.

Just Imagine Siri driving the car on the highway, while you are asleep. Just a big NO.

TTTedP

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2017
Depends on what your definition of progress is. Calling something "progressive" doesn't make it so. If range anxiety, sitting in a charging line for hours on end, unreliable charging stations, disastrous vehicle fires, minor accidents totaling your vehicle, costly repairs, reduced distance in hot/cold weather, an electric grid that cannot support a complete vehicle changeover, is your definition of progress then have at it, (while you still can). The general public is starting to wise up and ditch the EV.
Do you own one or did you just read that on the internet?

averagenerd81

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2020
Out there man
Guarantee doesn't own one. I have never waited for hours at a charging station. 15-20 minutes of a charge and I am back driving again on a trips. The rest of the time is just charging at home when I am not driving the car anyways.

But you know, it's just miserable .. charging at home (on the sun for us, might I add) , never having to visit a gas station paying $3+ a gallon. It's indeed miserable, I suggest nobody buy one....

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
They could buy out Fisker for pennies if there was an actual interest in some kind of EV manufacturing. Why does Rivian make any more sense?
Well, apparently Fisker is bad at making cars, so why would anyone want to buy them, even for free? There's no upside, unless Apple can help them make better cars (which is exactly the kind of project they just cancelled).

Rivian is supposedly quite good at it, but might not survive for financial reasons. Apple has the money to let them survive, and Tim Cook's Apple certainly has the expertise to help make them more profitable.

I think it's quite obvious, which one makes more sense for Apple specifically.
Rivian is a plausible next Beats. Fisker is through.

Mojohanna32

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2018
Except that about half of what you stated is not reality. I don't wait "hours on end" to charge. I've not run into unreliable charging stations, minor accidents can total any new car these days (https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fender-benders-mean-serious-high-110028542.html) and fires occur in ICE vehicles too.
I do have range anxiety. The charging infrostructure is not well dispursed unless you live in or near a big city. For example, my wife was planning a trip to Cleveland for work. Not many charging options close to where she is going to be. Getting there is not an issue, its doing the work she needs to do once she gets there. Complete changeover will take time and the networks will improve.
I agree with you on the grid capacity. Its a typical political shoot first, aim second response. Mandating something before you fully vet the concequences looks great to the standard voter.

I think part of the perception problem with EV's in particular is that everyone has a huge target painted on Teslas back and wants like hell for them to fail as well as backlash against mandates.

Last edited:
Reactions: jgleigh

TTTedP

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2017
Guarantee doesn't own one. I have never waited for hours at a charging station. 15-20 minutes of a charge and I am back driving again on a trips. The rest of the time is just charging at home when I am not driving the car anyways.

But you know, it's just miserable .. charging at home (on the sun for us, might I add) , never having to visit a gas station paying $3+ a gallon. It's indeed miserable, I suggest nobody buy one....

Exactly. I don't get it other than assume people are letting click bait stuff on the internet make their decisions for them.

Just like when horse and buggy people laughed at the first car owners for having to get bottles of gas from the pharmacy and all the FUD they spread.

The mistake the govt made was to mandate EV adoption. Rivian, Tesla, Lucid - they are more American than some of the stuff GM is selling!

Back on topic; If Apple does strike a partnership with Rivian, the real question is will it be short-lived (until they can do Apple Car 2.0) or do they take over (as they do with most tech they like).

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
They could call them Rivian Pros and charge more for them.
Rivian already has a shockingly high ASP - far above anyone else making thousands of consumer vehicles per year.

They're hovering around $80K. Most other EV focused companies (Tesla included) are around $50K while most other car companies are around $40K. Even Lucid is around $75K, despite having a comparable base price and vastly higher prices for top end configurations (Lucid prices can top $250K while the most expensive Rivian configuration is only $107K).

performa_6400

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2020
This is all highly speculative, but as both an Apple and Rivian fan (and have an R2 on reserve), it's definitely interesting.

NACS is making range anxiety and waiting hours to charge a thing of the past. Most Tesla drivers don't experience either of those at all. Also, most EV fires were in the very early days as thermal management has gotten a lot better. And the public isn't ditching EVs. Adoption is still growing. Yes growth is currently slowing, but there's still growth.

There are a ton of misconceptions and disinformation out there about EVs. At some point a lot of this will get settled and people will realize how much more convenient and cheaper to run EVs really are. No more having to stop for expensive gas, no more regular oil or brake changes, or replacing spark plugs and belts, etc. And they're a blast to drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: jefish

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
Does it make any difference whether I did or not? Doesn't change one single thing I mentioned. There are hundreds if not thousands of stories available on the topic. Is Ford making false earnings reporting they have lost billions on their EV program? Is Tesla stock tanking in "such a strong market"?

You are correct. Our family is constantly on the go. We could never own one. Owned a hybrid once. Am I in your grace now?

I have sibling who likes to tell me how busy her family is, has two Tesla's and a ICE. Guess which vehicle gets used whenever they actually do something or go somewhere. I have friends with EV's and have picked them up on the road to take them to lunch while their cars were charging because they out of range to get home. Tesla's are fun toys, but that's all that they are.

Except that about half of what you stated is not reality. I don't wait "hours on end" to charge. I've not run into unreliable charging stations, minor accidents can total any new car these days (https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fender-benders-mean-serious-high-110028542.html) and fires occur in ICE vehicles too.
I do have range anxiety. The charging infrostructure is not well dispursed unless you live in or near a big city. For example, my wife was planning a trip to Cleveland for work. Not many charging options close to where she is going to be. Getting there is not an issue, its doing the work she needs to do once she gets there. Complete changeover will take time and the networks will improve.
I agree with you on the grid capacity. Its a typical political shoot first, aim second response. Mandating something before you fully vet the concequences looks great to the standard voter.

I think part of the perception problem with EV's in particular is that everyone has a huge target painted on Teslas back and wants like hell for them to fail as well as backlash against mandates.
You might not have experienced it, but even with the few EV's that are out there, hundreds of people do. To ignore the reports or pretend that doesn't happen is silly, and invalidates anything you have to say on the matter.

Exactly. I don't get it other than assume people are letting click bait stuff on the internet make their decisions for them.

Just like when horse and buggy people laughed at the first car owners for having to get bottles of gas from the pharmacy and all the FUD they spread.

The mistake the govt made was to mandate EV adoption. Rivian, Tesla, Lucid - they are more American than some of the stuff GM is selling!

Back on topic; If Apple does strike a partnership with Rivian, the real question is will it be short-lived (until they can do Apple Car 2.0) or do they take over (as they do with most tech they like).
Love the horse and buggy analogy. You do realize this is like the third or fourth go around for EV's. They were there from the start. Along with horse and buggies, ICE, steam powered, there were EV's. EVERY TIME ICE's win in the end. EVERY TIME. They are more convenient, less costly to repair, less overall ownership cost, more recyclable, less environmental impact. EVERY TIME ICE's win out.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
This is all highly speculative, but as both an Apple and Rivian fan (and have an R2 on reserve), it's definitely interesting.

NACS is making range anxiety and waiting hours to charge a thing of the past. Most Tesla drivers don't experience either of those at all. Also, most EV fires were in the very early days as thermal management has gotten a lot better. And the public isn't ditching EVs. Adoption is still growing. Yes growth is currently slowing, but there's still growth.

There are a ton of misconceptions and disinformation out there about EVs. At some point a lot of this will get settled and people will realize how much more convenient and cheaper to run EVs really are. No more having to stop for expensive gas, no more regular oil or brake changes, or replacing spark plugs and belts, etc. And they're a blast to drive.
If EV's were as good as what we are led to believe the market should be exploding not slowing. (Pun not intended, maybe.)

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2024
Can't wait to see SIRI taking care of everything in a car!

Driver: “Hey Siri, dial 911! Someone is trying to carjack me.”

Siri: “I found this on the web, check it out: ‘911 is always a free call, intentional or accidental. You will never be charged for calling 911.’”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.