Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnnyH1012

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2014
New Jersey, USA
Just checked out the server. All I saw was a PowerMac G5 and a G4 Cube, but they both looked good. Was there anything else? Hopefully we could have a community meet up at some point. Quick question though, what is the last version of mine craft a PPC can run, because I would love to join the server and build a replica of something on my PMG5! :D

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Just checked out the server. All I saw was a PowerMac G5 and a G4 Cube, but they both looked good. Was there anything else? Hopefully we could have a community meet up at some point. Quick question though, what is the last version of mine craft a PPC can run, because I would love to join the server and build a replica of something on my PMG5! :D

On top of the desk there is an Apple Display with keyboard & mouse for the Powermac G5. Next to it is an iBook running 10.4.11.

PPC can run up to 1.5.1.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
I think what I am going to do next is make a 'showcase' world as the main spawn so we can build Macs to our heart's content. We will have portals to the survival portion of our world. Yay or nay?

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
I think what I am going to do next is make a 'showcase' world as the main spawn so we can build Macs to our heart's content. We will have portals to the survival portion of our world. Yay or nay?

The showcase would would have separate inventories for all players and would be in creative mode, right?

How bout that world be a plot world using PlotMe?

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014

The current spawn is pretty cool and more organized than spawning a new player in a large, open world. IMO, the current spawn should be kept and have portals to other worlds within it. We can keep those smaller display cases for certain things, and also a case displaying the server's admins.

How does this sound? (BTW, you all gonna be on during winter break? I can barely play as it is, since I am ending this week with final exams, and I still don't see anyone on most of the time).

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
I wanted to make a live banner that shows the current players online, but I cannot find anything that works. The only banner that works is 'Minecraft Server List's banner, but to get a banner requires posting a listing of the server. I don't think you'd want an influx of strangers to join. But if the listing gets buried then it may be hidden and you still have a banner....

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
BTW, does anyone know if a Sawtooth (AGP) PMG4 is good as a file server or something? I thought it would be appropriate to ask this in a thread pertaining to servers... ;)

I thought it would be cool to try out a file server or something with my AGP PMG4, but I want to know if it's relatively low-power enough to not cut into the electric bill. I will have it asleep and set to wake for ethernet connections by an admin, so won't have to be running 24/7, but I'd like to be able to gauge the power usage on this guy (my dad has been occupying the kilowatt meter, so I have no way of knowing).

JohnnyH1012

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2014
New Jersey, USA
Oh great! Glad to see that I could play on my DP PMG5; It's kind of crazy that it can run mine craft decently. Hopefully I will be on the server later. What to build- that is the question... Maybe I'll have to top that Cube G4

Last edited:

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
BTW, does anyone know if a Sawtooth (AGP) PMG4 is good as a file server or something? I thought it would be appropriate to ask this in a thread pertaining to servers... ;)

I thought it would be cool to try out a file server or something with my AGP PMG4, but I want to know if it's relatively low-power enough to not cut into the electric bill. I will have it asleep and set to wake for ethernet connections by an admin, so won't have to be running 24/7, but I'd like to be able to gauge the power usage on this guy (my dad has been occupying the kilowatt meter, so I have no way of knowing).

People who view this thread usually view the other threads. No need to hijack other threads.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on much, I got recruited to do some real world work. Maybe this weekend we can do some fun stuff.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
It was sort of a small question, so I didn't want to make a whole thread about it. Besides, it's not completely unrelated material. But yes, I usually make a thread for more important questions. I didn't want some big thing over something so little, if you feel me there.

----------

Oh great! Glad to see that I could play on my DP PMG5; It's kind of crazy that it can run mine craft decently. Hopefully I will be on the server later. What to build- that is the question... Maybe I'll have to top that Cube G4

Go on MacTracker and find your favorite Macs to build! I definitely encourage any construction of a Cube since mine was made at too small of a scale to be very realistic. I guess mine can stay, but it would be great to see someone make a better one. :)

LordeOurMother

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2014
how do i set the game up? .-. i downloaded a minecraft launcher awhile back but then it says "minecraft.net not downloaded."

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Trust me man, i've tried. Plus a G5 will heat my room/suck electricity. This P4 isn't too bad, its small and bulletproof. My 'workflow' machines aren't all Macs, my server is a Dell (stated), my gaming machine is a custom PC, and my main machine is a MacPro1,1 (which I want to get new CPUs and a new video card for it.)

Just got a 3Ghz 1,1 for $50 :). I made a killer set-up for it, which I guess I'll post.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Now the server is back up again, the ethernet was kicked out last night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.