Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
I hope others stop in sometimes, I have only seen poiihy log in so far.

I tested 1.5.2 PPC since thats the only one I have at the moment:

All at lowest settings, tiny render distance, default textures.

PowerBook 12 1ghz 768mb Ram, Leopard. -unplayable too slow-
PowerBook 17 1.67ghz 2gb Ram, Leopard. -playable, but very sluggish-
iBook 14 1.42ghz 768mb Ram, Leopard. -unplayable too slow-

Blackomen

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2015
US
Ah crap, I linked the wrong file. I'll fix it. I've had the flu for the past couple of days, to achey to use my phone/computer. The server should be back, I'll try to find a launcher. Unfortunately, PPC launcher won't work with Mojang's new login, so you need to find a 'cracked' launcher. This is kind of a grey area, but if you have actually bought an account you should be fine. I should be on this week as I recover, unfortunately, I also have school and a job to get back to.

Keaton, I'm having trouble locating your launcher.

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
Keaton, the final version of MC for PPC was 1.5.2, is there a reason you chose 1.5.1 instead?

Is there no PPC server for 1.5.2?

Edit:

Hooked up my PowerMac 2.7 dual G5 to test 1.5.2 on it, using same settings I did on the laptops.
Oh, also tested my iMac G5 1.8 ALS, it ran it at 20-30fps, so was pretty good, had some stutters, but not bad. However the dual 2.7, with ATI x850xt video, is screaming with MC, same settings as the others, its holding 228-236 fps. This is the 2.7 I converted to air cooling. CPU temps are 69-75c with MC running full screen 1080 rez.

Tried it just now at high quality settings:
graphics - fancy
smooth lighting - max
particles - all
render distance - short
performance - max fps
advanced opengl - on
clouds - off
vsync - off
fullscreen - on
also using Sphax PureBDcraft x32 texture pack

Its holding 175-183 fps in a lightly decorated area.

Last edited:

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
keaton there is this weird glitch. When you have a waterfall, sometimes one of the flowing water blocks turns into a water source block. So if you have a waterfall and you remove the source to let the waterfall disappear, it doesnt fully disappear as one of the blocks turned into a source. So you have to go there and remove that source block.

Also can you please allow placement of lava and fire and TNT?

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013

Cool beans, I got another development job and have been working almost non-stop. Haven't been able to visit.
Keaton, the final version of MC for PPC was 1.5.2, is there a reason you chose 1.5.1 instead?

Is there no PPC server for 1.5.2?

Edit:

Hooked up my PowerMac 2.7 dual G5 to test 1.5.2 on it, using same settings I did on the laptops.
Oh, also tested my iMac G5 1.8 ALS, it ran it at 20-30fps, so was pretty good, had some stutters, but not bad. However the dual 2.7, with ATI x850xt video, is screaming with MC, same settings as the others, its holding 228-236 fps. This is the 2.7 I converted to air cooling. CPU temps are 69-75c with MC running full screen 1080 rez.

Tried it just now at high quality settings:
graphics - fancy
smooth lighting - max
particles - all
render distance - short
performance - max fps
advanced opengl - on
clouds - off
vsync - off
fullscreen - on
also using Sphax PureBDcraft x32 texture pack

Its holding 175-183 fps in a lightly decorated area.
Nice FPS! Spigot, which uses my server's potential, last version was 1.5.1.

keaton there is this weird glitch. When you have a waterfall, sometimes one of the flowing water blocks turns into a water source block. So if you have a waterfall and you remove the source to let the waterfall disappear, it doesnt fully disappear as one of the blocks turned into a source. So you have to go there and remove that source block.

Also can you please allow placement of lava and fire and TNT?
I think thats a MC bug,
also, yes, I'll fix that.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Finally found a working MC 1.5.1 file.

What I did was setup my PPC 1.5.2 version that I have, and got the 1.5.1 jar file here:

http://www.games-utilities.com/minecraft-1-5-1-jar-download-bug-fix-update/

Putting it in the /minecraft/bin folder replacing the old one.

It worked, now MC shows 1.5.1 version, single player seems to work fine, I'll test multiplayer a bit later.

Awesome! Sounds like you got it figured out. Last night, I fixed some server issues, hopefully that helps out some more.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
hahaha a tree on a 2-block floating island :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 7.13.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 7.13.34 PM.png
    691.6 KB · Views: 152

kondre2000

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2015
Ah crap, I linked the wrong file. I'll fix it. I've had the flu for the past couple of days, to achey to use my phone/computer. The server should be back, I'll try to find a launcher. Unfortunately, PPC launcher won't work with Mojang's new login, so you need to find a 'cracked' launcher. This is kind of a grey area, but if you have actually bought an account you should be fine. I should be on this week as I recover, unfortunately, I also have school and a job to get back to.

did this get fixed? i still get pointed to the damn survey sites.
kevin

----------

why does this have to be so difficult?

cant someone just zip up all the folders with the files inside of their working minecraft and then have that zip file up for downloading without all this stuff to hop through?

I cant get anything to work at all.

Kevin

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
did this get fixed? i still get pointed to the damn survey sites.
kevin

----------

why does this have to be so difficult?

cant someone just zip up all the folders with the files inside of their working minecraft and then have that zip file up for downloading without all this stuff to hop through?

I cant get anything to work at all.

Kevin

I don't know if this would work but you can try.

Try this minecraft folder:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5925020/minecraft.zip
Put it in ~/Library/Application Support/

And try this launcher
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/46520/minecraft-ppc

I don't have any functional PPC mac with me so I can't test this.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014

That's not the application I linked...
The application I linked is based off the old launcher so I don't think my minecraft folder would work with it.

For a working launcher you can ask L Oquence. He got Minecraft working with my minecraft folder and "keaton's launcher." I don't know where this "keaton's launcher" is so ask him.

L Oquence said:
And I actually got minecraft working, as well. Your applications support folder and keatons launcher worked out in the end. :)

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
Guys, I have a working Minecraft 1.5.1 PPC setup that I'm willing to share. It bypasses the broken ppc launcher completely using an applescript to choose a character name, and start the game. It works perfectly, and no hoops or steps. just doubleclick the starter app, type the name you want to use, and the game starts.

The zip file for the complete install is 52mb. Where can I host it so those of you who are interested can download it.

I put this version together from a complete 1.5.2 install I already had, an official 1.5.1 minecraft.jar file, and a handwritten applescript that was compiled and saved as .app on my powermac g5 running leopard. The applescript was not made by me, i found it on a website where another player was also frustrated with the broken ppc launcher.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
Guys, I have a working Minecraft 1.5.1 PPC setup that I'm willing to share. It bypasses the broken ppc launcher completely using an applescript to choose a character name, and start the game. It works perfectly, and no hoops or steps. just doubleclick the starter app, type the name you want to use, and the game starts.

The zip file for the complete install is 52mb. Where can I host it so those of you who are interested can download it.

Dropbox or Google Drive or Mediafire.

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
I am setting up a dropbox to use so I can share this file.

I also added in the sound codec from Minecraft 1.3.2 that fixes the garbage static sound we get on PPC in 1.4.x or 1.5.x. Sound seems to be working fine now.

I need to add peoples email to my dropbox to share the file, so if your interested in this 1.5.1 PPC version, private message me with your email and I'll add you to my dropbox so you can download it.

Last edited:

Blackomen

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2015
US

I also added in the sound codec from Minecraft 1.3.2 that fixes the garbage static sound we get on PPC in 1.4.x or 1.5.x. Sound seems to be working fine now.

I need to add peoples email to my dropbox to share the file, so if your interested in this 1.5.1 PPC version, private message me with your email and I'll add you to my dropbox so you can download it.

I'm on Leopard, says no classic mode. So I need tiger to run this?

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014

When the server first started, I would go, but I wouldn't see anyone else on. Currently I am busy on another server, but you'll see me (and hopefully others) soon! I built that Studio Display at spawn & the (bad) PowerMac G4 Cube.

----------

Surrat gave me the minecraft folder that includes his launcher.

I have it up on my databarn anyone can download it from there, no hoops.

http://users.vermontel.net/~kevin_ondre/mac%20files/Minecraft%20for%20PPC/Game%20Folder/

Does it include a fix to the sound glitches? EDIT: Nvm, I see that it does.

----------

I sent you my email before seeing that another user here has hosted your launcher; I didn't think about it, but it would be easier to host it publicly. You could post a Dropbox link, or perhaps something like Mediafire.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014

You don't need to enter peoples' emails to share it, you can just copy the public link to share it with anyone. Put it in the Public folder, right click it, and select "Copy Public Link" and paste that link here.

Surrat

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2014
United States
Hm, I'm not sure whats happening with that, I dont have classic mode installed on any of my macs. The starter app works fine on all my powermacs and powerbooks with only leopard installed.

I'm on Leopard, says no classic mode. So I need tiger to run this?

----------

Since kondre2000 made a public download link, I have removed it from my dropbox. Thanks kondre!

Also, wanted to post the applescript I used in case any of you were curious. I'm not the author (I'm terrible with applescript).

-----------

property user_name : "Player"
display dialog "Enter A User Name" default answer "" buttons {"Cancel", "Continue"} default button 2
set the user_name to text returned of the result

set UsrApp to (path to current user folder)
set UsrApp_unx to POSIX path of UsrApp

set MineScript to "java -cp " & UsrApp_unx & "Library/Application\\ Support/minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar:" & UsrApp_unx & "Library/Application\\ Support/minecraft/bin/lwjgl.jar:" & UsrApp_unx & "Library/Application\\ Support/minecraft/bin/lwjgl_util.jar:" & UsrApp_unx & "Library/Application\\ Support/minecraft/bin/jinput.jar: -Djava.library.path=" & UsrApp_unx & "Library/Application\\ Support/minecraft/bin/natives -Xmx1024M -Xms512M net.minecraft.client.Minecraft '" & user_name & "'"

do shell script MineScript

---------------

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.