Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Here's an interesting point I once discussed with a friend: if iPadOS were to become more like macOS, allowing for more local processing and even some performance-hungry apps, we'd encounter the same issues again: the need for more memory, a more powerful CPU, and larger storage. Chasing these upgrades begs the question: why not just buy a Mac? Take Adobe's apps for iPadOS, for example.

That's why I occasionally enjoy using the iPad for cloud-based development. Interestingly, once you shift to this approach, the performance of the iPad itself becomes less of a priority. Instead, it's about whether iPadOS can offer a differentiated experience from macOS, ideally in a positive way.

All in all, I'm still looking forward to iPadOS and eager to see more interesting developments.

There's still the possibility Apple does their own version of Samsung Dex [when connected to a monitor]. I love using Dex on my S24U connected to my monitors.

"the need for more memory" Yeah. Caping the RAM to 16GB and not moving to 24GB is still surprising.

Reactions: ddhhddhh2

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Tim cook has an Apple pencil for each limb

I expect him to be walking on Apple Pencil's stilts next time… and one in each hand.

Then he throws them away and starts break dancing… while Craig Federighi stands with his hair blowing in the wind..

Then Tim steps back into view and says they have now put M7 in iPad Pro while MacBook Pro is stillon M5 😱

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Wait a few months and you'll see knock off keyboards on Amazon for about a little over 100.
The Magic Keyboard is obscenely overpriced. I don't even like the design. I have Keychron keyboards. I am typing on my Q1 right now. It is paired with my Mac Studio and will be paired with the iPad Pro when it gets here in June. This iPad is not going to move around a lot it will stay on my desk in a stand paired with my Mac Studio, so a folio case with a keyboard would be very inconvenient.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghengis LeMond

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I was hoping for at least a M2 iPad mini with increased base storage/RAM and newer display, not necessarily a OLED, oh well hope it shows in the fall.
I feel your pain. I was hoping for the same thing. I know a lot of pilots with the mini, they love them, and I find it the best iPad for portable carry.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
My M1 IPP is like a Ferrari for my workloads.. I see absolutely no reason to upgrade.

I'll say it again; Apple really needs to allow iPads to dual boot to MacOS when plugged into a monitor and keyboard. Would be a huge game changer.
Exactly. My 2018 IPP is more than enough for what I do with it. Now if I could make my iPad into a true CONVERTIBLE device by having it dual boot MacOS, then I can see myself upgrading. But right now, for anyone who isn't an artist or a video creator who prefers working with a touch interface (which is definitely not a plus for me), the M4 iPad Pro is like someone all dressed up with nowhere to go.

I'd sooner save the $2 K - $2500 one of these will cost* and put that toward a new 16 inch M4 MBP when they get released. Plus, my existing M1 MBP will likely get me a lot more in trade-in than my antiquated iPad Pro.

*(adding in the Pencil Pro and new Magic Keyboard, since my existing Pencil and Magic Keyboard are not compatible, as well as AppleCare)

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I'm always nervous about OLED for something like this. How big of an issue is screen burn in in 2024? I haven't kept up.

I love my 2022 iPad Pro. I got the 1TB model so that I would have more memory and be able to future proof it. Of course in doing this I forgot all about battery lifespan. My battery is currently sitting at 91%. And the one thing that I don't like about the 2022 iPad Pro is the battery life. It drains so quickly just browsing.

I would consider this if:
- Decent trade in on a like new (other than battery) iPad Pro 12.9" that has been babied and had a screen protector on it since day one.
- No risk of screen burn in.
- Better battery life.

I will be curious to see which models get the increased memory and how much it will be. And I use the Apple keyboard on my current iPad and would definitely want the keyboard for the new iPad.

jjdodders

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
Interesting how the Vison Pro update Tim only spoke about commercial applications for the product... its almost as if there's zero consumer appeal at all.

Reactions: Antoniosmalakia

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
That part with the compactor crushing a room's worth of stuff into an iPad Pro reminds me of this old Pokémon commercial...
But if someone really did that with my similar stuff, smash and explode them all into an iPad Pro, I would be REALLY furious and upset. I might even smash the iPad in my rage!

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
We know why Apple are refusing to make an iPad with something more open like macOS.

They want to sell two devices instead of one. They don’t want to eat into their notebook sales and that locked down App Store brings in LOTS of the monies!

They could keep an iPad ‘as is’ for people that like the iPad as it is and release something that is actually pro with cross platform apps.

Every year I say “maybe”.

Well. I’m not holding my breath anymore because blue isn’t my colour!

LightsOn45

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2022
That part with the compactor crushing a room's worth of stuff into an iPad Pro
Honestly, when I saw the multi-colored paint cans I thought they were going to offer a multitude of case colors on the Pro. Instead we’re stuck with boring silver and space gray yet again.

Reactions: dandeco

Joosst

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
MacOS is NEVER coming to iPad. Accept that. You want MacOS, buy a Mac.

This is not a little update. This is a MASSIVE update to the iPad Pro line.
I’ve totally accepted that, it was just an example reason for them to act so wiiiild

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
We know why Apple are refusing to make an iPad with something more open like macOS.

They want to sell two devices instead of one. They don’t want to eat into their notebook sales and that locked down App Store brings in LOTS of the monies!

They could keep an iPad ‘as is’ for people that like the iPad as it is and release something that is actually pro with cross platform apps.

Every year I say “maybe”.

Well. I’m not holding my breath anymore because blue isn’t my colour!
Right. There are some people that would still rather use a laptop/notebook instead of an iPad Pro for such productivity, like myself and my MacBook Air. This is probably why that "Part Of That World" commercial for the first M1 iPad Pro only showed people without the iPad using Windows PCs and such.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Here's an interesting point I once discussed with a friend: if iPadOS were to become more like macOS, allowing for more local processing and even some performance-hungry apps, we'd encounter the same issues again: the need for more memory, a more powerful CPU, and larger storage. Chasing these upgrades begs the question: why not just buy a Mac?
Indeed. That's the decision I made last year when I bought a 13 inch M2 MBA instead of the new IPP. And it's likely to be the decision I make this summer when I consider trading in my 16 inch M1 Pro MBP in on an M4 model. And this makes me very sad because in theory anyway, I really LOVE the iPad Pro. It's just too dang expensive when compared with what you get in an MBP.

Reactions: Antoniosmalakia

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
My M1 IPP is like a Ferrari for my workloads.. I see absolutely no reason to upgrade.

I'll say it again; Apple really needs to allow iPads to dual boot to MacOS when plugged into a monitor and keyboard. Would be a huge game changer.
That’s how I feel about my m1 as well. I dont think we have even reached the full potential of m1 and we are already on M4.

Reactions: magicschoolbus

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Thoughts:

- By saying it was the biggest day for iPad since it launched, they made people think that they would refresh the whole line, especially as the whole line was due an update. Why schedule an event for 2 hours and be done in less than half that?

- The Air getting the exact same screen sizes as the Pro now makes me think that the Air 5 will be recycled into the iPad 11.

- Every type of iPad user is probably varying degrees of annoyed.

If the Air goes to 13 and not 12.9, why does the Pro not get say 12 and 14 now? They’ve put significant amounts into changing the form factor by thinning it down, only to have to do so again to increase the screen sizes in the next cycle. Even the glass is now an extra - but at least it keeps the price increase down I suppose.

Extra storage options on the Air are welcome, as is the 13 for those wanting a bigger size, but it’s gone from being 1 generation behind the Pros to 2. I was seriously considering an Air and the 11 now feels meh. Promotion would have sealed the deal and I half expected it after the talk about it being a big day for iPad and Pro features trickling down onto the Air.

When the price cut came for the 10th Gen, everyone’s thinking that this is the new 9th Gen low cost option. Then instead of it perfectly leading into the announcement of the 11th, the event’s over.

They annoyed Mini users when they made the Air so much better than it (double the RAM, unexpectedly upgraded to M1 and only £90 more) so soon after the Mini came out and now they annoy them again by giving them nothing. No update, no price cut. While it still won’t be the longest wait between Mini refreshes provided it lands in September or October, I feel like even the Mini 4 had its capacity options adjusted by this point in the lifecycle. 64GB is ridiculous for something that’s supposed to be a mid tier device - the OS and system data are now 20GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.