Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zkap

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2019
Now we're cooking, I am very satisfied with the event, mainly because of the pricing. No price hike on the Air, small price hike on the Pro, doubled base storage and decreased price of the base model iPad. Great changes. I am not in the market for the new Pro because it's vastly overpowered for what I do on the iPad, but I would definitely consider an M2 now if there will be a price cut.

It will be interesting to see EU pricing. Right now in my country in the EU, the current M2 Pro costs 1.179 euros. Based on the USD to EUR conversion that happened with the 15 series iPhones, that would put the price of the M4 iPad Pro at 1.199 euros. If that happens, it would be 20 euros more expensive than the price of the M2 Pro that has been standing since its release in 2022. In that case the current Pros would have to get a price cut so I'm waiting to see if that can go down to a thousand euros or so. In that case I'd buy the M2 Pro, and if not, I will replace the battery in my current 2017 10.5 inch.

• Haha
Reactions: ddhhddhh2 and NVDA

Randomii

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
Now we're cooking, I am very satisfied with the event, mainly because of the pricing. No price hike on the Air, small price hike on the Pro, doubled base storage and decreased price of the base model iPad. Great changes. I am not in the market for the new Pro because it's vastly overpowered for what I do on the iPad, but I would definitely consider an M2 now if there will be a price cut.

It will be interesting to see EU pricing. Right now in my country in the EU, the current M2 Pro costs 1.179 euros. Based on the USD to EUR conversion that happened with the 15 series iPhones, that would put the price of the M4 iPad Pro at 1.199 euros. If that happens, it would be 20 euros more expensive than the price of the M2 Pro that has been standing since its release in 2022. In that case the current Pros would have to get a price cut so I'm waiting to see if that can go down to a thousand euros or so. In that case I'd buy the M2 Pro, and if not, I will replace the battery in my current 2017 10.5 inch.
You can already see EU pricing at Apple site.

johnnytravels

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2019
Nowadays, all these Apple upselling tactics (pricing differences, new accessories etc) just make me not wanna buy anything at all anymore.
Maybe I‘ll get the next mini if it’s 128GB for the price of the current gen.

ddhhddhh2

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
Taipei
Well know next month

I noticed you gave an overwhelmingly positive review of the show, seemingly thinking that the new iPadOS will reflect "power" more reasonably, right? Of course, I also agree that macOS will definitely not be ported to the iPad, but Apple should at least make iPadOS reasonably supportive of developers. Or is it only multimedia creators who deserve that "power"? From what I see, features like a local development environment and compilation should be possible on iPadOS if Apple is willing, or could be differentiated in some way. Unfortunately, that's not the case, so until that day comes, at least for me, iPadOS is really just toy-level.

zkap

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2019
You can already see EU pricing at Apple site.

Yeah, the pricing in Germany for example is where I'd expect it to be, but there will be small differences due to VAT so I'll know the pricing for my country in a couple of days (no Apple Store).

zkap

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2019
A 25% increase in price isn’t “small”

No, but it's much smaller than what was being rumored. The price of the M4 Pro 256GB is less than the price of the M2 Pro 256GB, so take that as you will.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I noticed you gave an overwhelmingly positive review of the show, seemingly thinking that the new iPadOS will reflect "power" more reasonably, right? Of course, I also agree that macOS will definitely not be ported to the iPad, but Apple should at least make iPadOS reasonably supportive of developers. Or is it only multimedia creators who deserve that "power"? From what I see, features like a local development environment and compilation should be possible on iPadOS if Apple is willing, or could be differentiated in some way. Unfortunately, that's not the case, so until that day comes, at least for me, iPadOS is really just toy-level.
I will agree that developers do get the shaft. Especially when Xcode is not available. Apple does appear to be focusing on Swift coding on iPad over full web/app development. Unless there’s a cloud version available.

Since M1, it’s been focused on the video creators. They did show off Oxtane X (I’m RT on M4), so there is a possibility of 3D creation. Given Apple and Epic Games beef, don’t expect a mobile version of Unreal Engine 5.

The other reason I have a strong feeling at WWDC is the improved bandwidth. The M2 iPad Pro came with 100GBs and the M4 comes with 120GBs.

In March, Apple announced that the 14-inch M3 MBP would get dual-monitor support via a software update. That update never happened. Along side the changes in iPadOs 18 and MacOS 16, dual monitor could be a factor that comes to both products.

Reactions: ddhhddhh2

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Still no macOS on iPad Pro, crazy.

They should drop the ”Pro” part in the name, there’s nothing pro about ipadOS. Just ”iPad” whould be fine with different screen size options.

ddhhddhh2

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
Taipei
I will agree that developers do get the shaft. Especially when Xcode is not available. Apple does appear to be focusing on Swift coding on iPad over full web/app development. Unless there’s a cloud version available.

Since M1, it’s been focused on the video creators. They did show off Oxtane X (I’m RT on M4), so there is a possibility of 3D creation. Given Apple and Epic Games beef, don’t expect a mobile version of Unreal Engine 5.

The other reason I have a strong feeling at WWDC is the improved bandwidth. The M2 iPad Pro came with 100GBs and the M4 comes with 120GBs.

In March, Apple announced that the 14-inch M3 MBP would get dual-monitor support via a software update. That update never happened. Along side the changes in iPadOs 18 and MacOS 16, dual monitor could be a factor that comes to both products.

Here's an interesting point I once discussed with a friend: if iPadOS were to become more like macOS, allowing for more local processing and even some performance-hungry apps, we'd encounter the same issues again: the need for more memory, a more powerful CPU, and larger storage. Chasing these upgrades begs the question: why not just buy a Mac? Take Adobe's apps for iPadOS, for example.

That's why I occasionally enjoy using the iPad for cloud-based development. Interestingly, once you shift to this approach, the performance of the iPad itself becomes less of a priority. Instead, it's about whether iPadOS can offer a differentiated experience from macOS, ideally in a positive way.

All in all, I'm still looking forward to iPadOS and eager to see more interesting developments.

Reactions: hovscorpion12

Stev150

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
Solid upgrade there, as long as you're ok with the "smaller" screen. I personally find 11 to be the sweet spot.
think I will be happier with the 11 inch , I would have bought the m1 in 11inch if it had the upgraded display.
and I missed the iPad Air size after grabbing the 12.9

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.