Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

rukind2

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2012
You're not navigating here. This is just the regular map.

But from this screen, you should be able to "tap" on the map somewhere to bring up extra buttons. On the top right there should be a button that says 3D. Press it, and it should change the basic map over to birds-eye view.
I’ll try it and will report back.

rukind2

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2012
You're not navigating here. This is just the regular map.

But from this screen, you should be able to "tap" on the map somewhere to bring up extra buttons. On the top right there should be a button that says 3D. Press it, and it should change the basic map over to birds-eye view.
I did not see the 3D button (and still do not see it), however, by zooming out I was able to trigger the 3D view. If anything change I'll report back.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
First time I’ve noticed this…the Explore layer and Driving layer have different color gradients. I thought the only difference was whether the map showed traffic or not. But the greens are very different. I like the Explore colors better. lol

IMG_7183.png

IMG_7184.png

IMG_7185.png

IMG_7186.png

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
https://www.reddit.com/r/applemaps/comments/14x29pb
Sooo...after having gone missing for maybe a year or so, the unique parkway and highway shields that used to appear all around the New York metropolitan area all returned yesterday! Even better, some of them were updated to the new look that they have in real life, other parkways received shields that didn't have them on the map previously, and another glitch was fixed where the parkway shield would not appear along the entire length of the parkway, instead ending at one particular point. Having looked in other areas, I saw new shields in other states as well.

Today, they all vanished again, except for the ones that were always present during the past year. Maybe they were still in testing and I was lucky to have connected to that server for a bit? lol

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Did the update to iOS 16.6 “fix” or change the camera angles while navigating? I’ve ventured outside of DCE territory for a trip to Iowa, and buildings are appearing on all roads, even highways. I remember for the longest time that buildings would often not appear even on some local roads in “normal” Maps territories.

IMG_8173.png

IMG_8175.png
IMG_8177.png

IMG_8179.png

IMG_8183.png

IMG_8187.png

Reactions: michelmike

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Did the update to iOS 16.6 “fix” or change the camera angles while navigating? I’ve ventured outside of DCE territory for a trip to Iowa, and buildings are appearing on all roads, even highways. I remember for the longest time that buildings would often not appear even on some local roads in “normal” Maps territories.

View attachment 2238664

View attachment 2238665 View attachment 2238666

View attachment 2238667

View attachment 2238669

View attachment 2238668
We’re talking about this in the iOS 17 maps thread too. Nice to know it’s not just a beta change! I’m on the beta, so I wasn’t sure if it was a beta change or an everyone change!

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Ignored the fact that you could just go right without going through the roundabout?

Doesn’t look like Maps sees it as a different road and is part of the closed road.
I think the roundabout was misdrawn. All other roundabouts in the area have one-way arrows in the appropriate direction, but this one doesn’t. It looks like Apple temporarily “fixed” it by “closing” the “inner circle”.

But I was taken aback when I suddenly came upon this roundabout, and when I glanced over at the screen, I needed to take the first exit and head west. It’s a new roundabout, too. This area of Iowa has built a lot of roundabouts in the past two years. Preparing for the future, I guess….

IMG_8110.jpeg

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I guess I was wrong about any camera changes. I guess I was seeing the buildings in Iowa because of the size and shape of the infotainment screen on my rental car.

I’m driving around Connecticut today in my own car, and I’m not seeing any buildings except when it zooms in approaching turns.

(I believe this might be because my car’s screen is super wide, but also a bit narrow vertically compared to most screens. So I think Maps zooms out a bit more so it can show a minimum distance ahead of my car, which causes some details to disappear.)

About to leave DCE territory:
IMG_8431.png

After having left DCE:
IMG_8433.png

IMG_8435.png

IMG_8439.png

But seeing the highway shields are nice again.

IMG_8421.png

IMG_8427.png

IMG_8429.png

But now I’m also occasionally seeing this weird glitch where the city names vanish, and all I see are black dots in their place. lol

IMG_8437.png

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Needed gas on a recent trip. Siri asked if a station 900 miles, and 6 states, away was ok. Asked later in the week. This time a 1,200 mile away station. Needed a UPS store a few days ago, took me past one that was open and delivered me to a closed store.

Why does anyone use this pos? It’s nice in many ways but both nav and poi routings are total garbage. Which is why people use a maps app. Not to look at buildings.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Needed gas on a recent trip. Siri asked if a station 900 miles, and 6 states, away was ok. Asked later in the week. This time a 1,200 mile away station. Needed a UPS store a few days ago, took me past one that was open and delivered me to a closed store.

Why does anyone use this pos? It’s nice in many ways but both nav and poi routings are total garbage. Which is why people use a maps app. Not to look at buildings.

I think we would need a little more context to what/where/how to even answer your question…and I’m not sure if you actually came here to ask a question or just complain.

The only time what you are describing has happened to me was on CarPlay…and it was the POS rental car (typically a Dodge) that had its GPS antenna F’d up and was overriding the phone’s GPS (at least in the first 5 or so minutes of use) making it think it was 1,000 miles away.

Reactions: gwhizkids

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I know we don't have too many people here living in a DCE area...but it looks like as of yesterday, the look and layout of the trees has changed quite a bit.

At a glance, there seems to be fewer trees showing than before. But it also appears as though it's more accurate as to where *real* trees are. It was previously showing tall shrubbery as small groups of trees, which made the neighborhoods near me quite a bit more "crowded" looking.

But at the same time, the heights of the trees are waaay off. Maybe they're limited to how tall they're willing to show trees, to avoid graphical oddities with nearby buildings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.