Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chevyman29

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2020
It takes courage to admit a mistake. Face ID was a mistake. The notch is not going away any time soon because of it.

Face ID is worse than in screen Finger print reader. You don’t save any time because you still have to swipe the screen up in order to reach your Home Screen.

also there is the fact that with face masks, Face ID doesn’t even work so you have to enter your passcode. Horrible.
Don't agree.
By the time I get my phone up to normal height it's already unlocked and I just have to swipe and I'm in.

If we wanna bitch about something let's bitch about the piss poor notifications compared to android.....

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
By the time I get my phone up to normal height it's already unlocked and I just have to swipe and I'm in.
Well, in that respect TouchID does the same and can have the phone unlocked even and on the Home Screen, if desired, before someone even finishes taking it out of their pocket or bag.

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
Face ID is the VERY BEST experience I had. While touch button is crappy nasty and never working. | have this stupid touch buttonit now on my new M! I switched it off. It is obsolete and ....

Well except for those who use it... So stating that something is wrong sounds couragous. But admitting that maybe other have a lot of pleasure from something that you hate.... THAT really takes courage.

I don't use the touch button and I really disabled it. It just doesn't work never not on my previous iPhones not on my present computer never ever. But when you are happy with it: OK. But don't take Face ID away because it's the most wonderfull thing for me.

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
I love FaceID way more, but i have Ipad with touch and Iphone's with FaceID and I've found both can be finicky if I really think about it. And the mask thing does make it less convenient. So then it falls to passcode. But otherwise I feel like both methods have their pros and cons, but I feel like FaceID is far more convenient.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Face ID is the VERY BEST experience I had. While touch button is crappy nasty nd never working.
It's definitely great that it's working well for you. There are definitely others that have inconsistencies with it while Touch ID has worked great for them. A lot of this kind of puts it more on personal experience rather than the technology as both are quite fast and relatable when working properly.

Ultimately giving up on one over the other is the sort of thing that can result in some issues or poorer experiences for some. It's more that having the ability to have both would probably be better in general, although perhaps less practical from manufacturer side of things.

Chevyman29

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2020
Well, in that respect TouchID does the same and can have the phone unlocked even and on the Home Screen, if desired, before someone even finishes taking it out of their pocket or bag.
I agree it's useful . I just don't agree that face ID is a huge mistake.

Reactions: beach bum

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I thought I would hate FaceID as someone who carried an iPhone 5S for two years and an iPhone 6S Plus for five years. I loved TouchID.

But add me to the list of people who loves FaceID now. It's just so natural and unobtrusive.

The only thing I don't like is when wearing a mask. Thankfully that's only a small portion of my daily routine.

If Apple could add an underscreen fingerprint sensor to the iPhone... I'd be OK with that. But I don't think they should take away FaceID.

leytune

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
London
Do the people complaining about Face ID and mask-wearing think that Apple was anticipating this covid-19 situation back in 2017, when the iPhone X was released?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do the people complaining about Face ID and mask-wearing think that Apple was anticipating this covid-19 situation back in 2017, when the iPhone X was released?
It seems partially they lament that the TouchID option was removed as it would have been helpful to have. Partially they were hoping for a return of it. Although in the context of a pandemic that wouldn't really be practical until perhaps next year's models.

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018
I don't mind either option. I think both have their faults that make them just slightly inconvenient for a brief moment. Touch ID was difficult to use in the winter (I'm in Illinois). Face ID is difficult to use when my phone is sitting landscape on a wireless desktop charger, or when I want to check it while I'm lying in bed. But I've adapted.

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018
I’m really surprised that they didn’t implement side-button TouchID, given the pandemic. It really is a big miss.
I heard that one of the iPads has this feature, but it's not as responsive. Do you have any experience? I think this would have been a really good idea for this new generation of iPhones.

Detonation

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
I'd settle for a sensor in the power button. But the under-screen version would be awesome!
Only if they can get it working as reliably as the old capacitive touch id. The under screen ones on Samsung devices right now are still much slower and frequently fail.

• Love
Reactions: 5105973

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
If apple didn’t have Face ID, people would be asking for faceid. The only reason people want Touch ID is the masks we wear. Stop being lazy and type the code.

Reactions: SisterBlue22

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
They should figure out a way of having a secondary Face ID scan with a mask. So it identifies who you are when wearing a mask. Maybe take details of the persons eyes or something. That would be awesome.
I feel like that'll be coming in iOS 15. I think it'll be less secure, but that's the best we can get until masks aren't a thing anymore.

Last edited:

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Both methods have their strengths and weaknesses. In cold New England weather, I'll take FaceID any day, but I find Touch ID to be MUCH more convienent. I can unlock my phone sitting in my lap at a traffic light. Face ID doesn't know the bottom of my chin very well. As someone working in retail using an iPhone, I wear a mask and TouchID would be appreciated, thankfully it's in the iPad I use at work. FaceID is a disaster right now. I'd rather have both options. Face ID and TouchID built into the side button like they did with iPad Air 4. I also find that some of my friends and family member's finger prints don't register well and they struggle with setting Touch ID up. For them, Face ID is a welcome improvement, but for me personally, I'll take Touch ID.

lemonkid

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2015
It's definitely great that it's working well for you. There are definitely others that have inconsistencies with it while Touch ID has worked great for them. A lot of this kind of puts it more on personal experience rather than the technology as both are quite fast and relatable when working properly.

Ultimately giving up on one over the other is the sort of thing that can result in some issues or poorer experiences for some. It's more that having the ability to have both would probably be better in general, although perhaps less practical from manufacturer side of things.
Are you repeating my post with different words? Or am I not completely awake yet.....

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I don’t think I’d go so far as to say they were wrong, indeed I actually prefer FaceID. Living in Scotland, where it’s cold for the majority of the time, it’s nice not to have to take a glove off in the cold weather.

I’ll admit, it’s a bit of a pain sometimes at the moment, with all of the mask wearing. But I can cope with that for the few times it’s inconvenient.

In an ideal world, certainly with the world the way it is at the moment. We’d have both FaceID and TouchID and we could pick and choose. To be honest, I don’t think we’re more than a year or two away from that happening. They’ve got a good excuse to re-introduce TouchID now.

Reactions: oneteam

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don’t think I’d go so far as to say they were wrong, indeed I actually prefer FaceID. Living in Scotland, where it’s cold for the majority of the time, it’s nice not to have to take a glove off in the cold weather.

I’ll admit, it’s a bit of a pain sometimes at the moment, with all of the mask wearing. But I can cope with that for the few times it’s inconvenient.

In an ideal world, certainly with the world the way it is at the moment. We’d have both FaceID and TouchID and we could pick and choose. To be honest, I don’t think we’re more than a year or two away from that happening. They’ve got a good excuse to re-introduce TouchID now.
Hopefully by the next time I upgrade my iPhone in 2 years time there will be both forms. I’ve never really thought about TouchID being a nuisance in the cold British weather before but then even with FaceID I’m taking my gloves off anyway as touchscreens and the appropriate gloves are still a pain in the backside. The place where I find FaceID inconvenient the most is when I’m at work when my iPhone is on my desk. I can no longer unlock it easily without picking it up and covert checking of notifications is now a thing of the past. They both seem to have limitations which is why it would be handy to have both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.