Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milkverko

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2020
That’s a purely subjective stance as it seems to be different depending on the person. I always found TouchID hugely reliable and have had more reliability and adjustment issues with FaceID so far. Others have no issues at all. Neither method seems to be identical in reliability and use.
I don't know what the stats are, would be nice to have a poll to get an idea. It would be interesting which side the majority leans on at which point it won't be as "purely subjective". The idea I get from this thread is most think FaceID is superior, but I could be wrong, that's why a poll would be great.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
I like FaceID. It’s just faster and easier. I especially notice this when logging into websites and gaining access to passwords. Ideally I would hope they would add Touch ID to the power button like the new iPad and we could use either or both for even more security. Apple could not have predicted the pandemic and asking them to rush out Touch ID because of it doesn’t seem reasonable. It’s not like adding a pinch of cinnamon to a cookie recipe.

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
I love how people say "Face ID" and "notch" in the same sentence as if Face ID has anything to do with the notch.

The notch is there because Apple wants the edge to edge screen. There will still be a camera and depth sensors with or without Face ID, sorry. Therefor, there is still a notch. Unless Apple magically shrinks the technology, or goes back to larger bezels, the notch isn't going anywhere.

I do think they should also have included the Touch ID from the iPad Air, but that has nothing to do with OP's point at all.

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
Having used both face ID and touch ID (plus power button touch ID) on a Samsung phone, I would say my preference would be.
1 - Face ID
2 - Touch ID on the power button
3 - Touch ID on the back of the phone
4 - Touch ID on the front.

I find face ID to be the fastest and most convenient. Touch on the power button was very convenient too but not quite as fast.Touch in general always meant too many false readings having to redo. Face ID never seems to fail.

AppleForTheTeacher

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2020
Murfreesboro, TN
It takes courage to admit a mistake. Face ID was a mistake. The notch is not going away any time soon because of it.

Face ID is worse than in screen Finger print reader. You don’t save any time because you still have to swipe the screen up in order to reach your Home Screen.

also there is the fact that with face masks, Face ID doesn’t even work so you have to enter your passcode. Horrible.
Yeah that’s gonna be a no from me, dawg. Face ID is wonderful.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don't know what the stats are, would be nice to have a poll to get an idea. It would be interesting which side the majority leans on at which point it won't be as "purely subjective". The idea I get from this thread is most think FaceID is superior, but I could be wrong, that's why a poll would be great.
A poll here would show FaceID is more popular as this is an enthusiasts forum where a majority will own FaceID equipped iPhones. That is why there is heavy emphasis towards FaceID on this thread. If you want a poll then it needs to be on another source completely where a less biased user base can select their preference. A lot of people like me also like both forms and would select both in any poll.

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
I never liked TID and especially the home buttons, any moisture or rough skin wouldn’t work, useless in humidity/summer, even my non techy Mrs loves FID.
Could never go back. I wouldn’t even buy a Air 4 with it, dumb backwards move IMO.
FID works pretty much 100% for us, if it doesn’t you have it setup wrong lol.

Reactions: Runs For Fun

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
Out of curiosity, what's the problem with Touch ID? (Seems like it's not about needing to touch the phone since that doesn't appear to be an issue, and Touch ID would be faster and simpler than entering a passcode.)it’s not as convenient as faceid. The only reason we have an issue is wearing a mask. Why would apple change its technology for that?

jsh8w

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2020
United Kingdom
I like FaceID but the current COVID situation with masks has definitely shown its fundamental limitations. Entering your passcode every time you unlock your phone or use Apple Pay is such a pain.

In normal circumstances, I prefer FaceID but equally I still think there's definitely a place for TouchID. I occasionally find myself wanting to unlock my phone when trying to multitask and am not looking at it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
it’s not as convenient as faceid. The only reason we have an issue is wearing a mask. Why would apple change its technology for that?
So it's not that there's an issue with it or anything, which is kind of odd for hate to be involved then. As various people have posted there are advantages in some situations for some. That might not play much of a role for others, but that doesn't mean it can't be better for those that find it better.

Apple is clearly still into Touch ID using it on the latest iPads. So seems like it's in play, even without the pandemic being involved, although the pandemic and its effects can involve all sort of things, even when the pandemic itself ends.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
So it's not that there's an issue with it or anything, which is kind of odd for hate to be involved then. As various people have posted there are advantages in some situations for some. That might not play much of a role for others, but that doesn't mean it can't be better for those that find it better.

Apple is clearly still into Touch ID using it on the latest iPads. So seems like it's in play, even without the pandemic being involved, although the pandemic and its effects can involve all sort of things, even when the pandemic itself ends.

I do find it hilarious people here claim to hate touching a sensor like it’s massively inconvenient and slow, but are happy to slide their finger up a screen instead lol. I think both are decent methods and there are situations where one is more convenient than the other. There’s a reason Apple are still putting TouchID on current products and I think it’s still very relevant and here to stay despite FaceID also offering a decent alternative.

Reactions: C DM and snipr125

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I do find it hilarious people here claim to hate touching a sensor like it’s massively inconvenient and slow, but are happy to slide their finger up a screen instead lol. I think both are decent methods and there are situations where one is more convenient than the other. There’s a reason Apple are still putting TouchID on current products and I think it’s still very relevant and here to stay despite FaceID also offering a decent alternative.
I think apple are still putting touch ID into some products for cost reasons. I think we’ll see Face ID make its way down the entire product stack in time.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think apple are still putting touch ID into some products for cost reasons. I think we’ll see Face ID make its way down the entire product stack in time.
They have invested the money in the technology no doubt but also developed a different type of sensor for the iPad Air. I think in the long term both will be on all devices, not just one. The industry seems to be awash with devices having two types already.
I wonder if growing a beard would also make me unrecognisable?
I don’t think so as FaceID would be learning your face as the beard grows, plus your face wouldn’t be covers and reference points would still be clearly visible.

Reactions: snipr125 and C DM

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I personally like Touch ID but that is what I bought the SE 2020 and also still use my 8+. I was happy Apple still had an option with the new SE. I hope to see an iphone SE Plus with that feature. I thought Face ID was okay but it was just my own personal preference. I hope apple keeps making a few phones with Touch ID in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.