Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
Apple hates to be wrong, and they mostly never admits it.
In 2017, I think that they pushed out FaceID because they had no other way to do a borderless phone without sacrificing the touch ID function, so we all moved on with it.
But now, I think it's the best time for them if they ever want to bring that feature back (they did apply for some new patents for TouchID after they killed it on iPhones). Saying something like "due to covid-19 and the face masks, we have brought touch ID back to iPhones..."
Any thoughts?
We & Apple knew long before their October 2020 event that COVID-19 is a big problem and it won’t go away soon. In October there was no vaccine announced by any pharmaceutical company. If Apple had to reintroduce Touch ID in iPhones that was the best time to do it. Features like SpO2 and hand washing timer were implemented in Apple Watch Series 6 because of the current situation yet Touch ID on iPhones was not brought back. I think Touch ID is not coming back to iPhones since now scientists are saying COVID-19 will be eradicated by Winter 2021.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I think the biggest stumbling block is that their iPhones are designed so long in advance. From what I have read, planning can be as far back as 2 years back, with the design locked in a full year in advance so there is sufficient time to source for components.

So based on this timeline, the specs and design of the next iPhone would have been locked in stone by now. Which poses an interesting conundrum. How long will this pandemic be around and how long are people reasonably expected to wear masks?

What’s intriguing was why the iPad Air this year had a fingerprint sensor though. Was it intended as a cost-saving measure or is it the test bed for Apple looking to bring Touch ID back to the iPhone?
I believe i have read the same kind of information about Apple design. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if it were true.

I don’t think we will see Touch ID return to all the phones next year. Then again, we are talking about Apple, where anything is possible. If the pandemic where to be long term, that could definitely change things for Apple, and possibly for us as customers.

Gator5000e

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2018
Personallly, I hate touch ID and greatly prefer Face ID. I have a couple of touch ID devices and they canstantly want me to enter my passcode as it won't recognize my finger. I've reset the finger print numerous times. Face ID is much quicker and reliable for me. And if I am in a store wearing a mask, it takes no more than a second or two to lower it to use Face ID with Apple Pay. I hold my breath for the second or two it takes for Face Id to recognize my face and allow the transaction.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
FaceID is great for me unless you are lying in bed in the dark, then it seems to struggle. I also miss being able to unlock my iPhone quickly out of my pocket. I like both forms though as they each have advantages over the other.

Reactions: John dosh

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
FaceID is great for me unless you are lying in bed in the dark, then it seems to struggle. I also miss being able to unlock my iPhone quickly out of my pocket. I like both forms though as they each have advantages over the other.
I've never had an issue with either of those situations. It unlocks for me if I'm laying in bed. When I take it out of my pocket and look at it, it unlocks immediately.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
After my experience today with digital banking , face id is VASTLY superior to touch id

The only reason I'm not upgrading from my horrid 8 plus is due to oled flicker possibilities

There's always going to be a small chance of any device you purchase having a defect. I don't see why that should stop you from upgrading if you're not happy with your current device.

The internet tends to make such problems seem far more common than they actually are.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I think the biggest stumbling block is that their iPhones are designed so long in advance. From what I have read, planning can be as far back as 2 years back, with the design locked in a full year in advance so there is sufficient time to source for components.

So based on this timeline, the specs and design of the next iPhone would have been locked in stone by now. Which poses an interesting conundrum. How long will this pandemic be around and how long are people reasonably expected to wear masks?

What’s intriguing was why the iPad Air this year had a fingerprint sensor though. Was it intended as a cost-saving measure or is it the test bed for Apple looking to bring Touch ID back to the iPhone?

Yes the argument of Touch ID requiring bezels is now finished, as with Touch ID 3.0 in the power button we can get an all screen iPhone with no notch. Works great on the Air 4, just rest your finger on the button and your instantly at your Home Screen (no swipe up required). There is no way Apple would invest money in developing power button Touch ID, and use it only sparingly. Hopefully at least one model of next years iPhones will have it (SE Plus?).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I hate Touch ID. With my mask on touching 4 numbers is not an issue, especially when I’m about to type in the same screen.
Out of curiosity, what's the problem with Touch ID? (Seems like it's not about needing to touch the phone since that doesn't appear to be an issue, and Touch ID would be faster and simpler than entering a passcode.)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have a couple of touch ID devices and they canstantly want me to enter my passcode as it won't recognize my finger. I've reset the finger print numerous times.
It's certainly not a good experience in that type of context. That isn't the typical context however as normally that shouldn't be happening. It certainly sounds in your situation Touch ID isn't that great of a feature, but it's not the typical way that Touch ID works for people in general.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Apple was Not wrong with Face ID but now we need an additional underscreen Touch ID with the pandemic
When the Pandemic hit in March it was probably to late to make changes. But if both aren’t included in the next model many people won’t but the iPhone 13

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
I personally enjoyed Face ID very much until this pandemic hit, now we have to wear masks when we are out and it’s very annoying entering a password every time. So annoying that I actually considered getting an iPhone SE 2 ?. But I can’t leave my iPhone 12 pro max alone for a min, that’s impossible.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
phone+apps don't open as often as they do with faceID
Yeah, that's not a good situation. It's not how Touch ID or Face ID generally work, but certainly some people run into issues with either of them.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
What is wrong with touch-id - someone asked? It seems to work much less reliably that face-id for me. So it often takes several touches for it to work for me.
Also, since I don't even keep my phone in the bedroom at night I don't pick up the phone from bed and try to unlock.
Also, as stated before in winter, when you wear gloves, you have to take the gloves off to unlock (or enter code) - which is worse than lowering mask for a second.

Reactions: Runs For Fun

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What is wrong with touch-id - someone asked? It seems to work much less reliably that face-id for me. So it often takes several touches for it to work for me.
Seems like that's an experience some are having. Some are having inconsistencies with Face ID in a similar type of context. Overall both should work fairly fast and fairly reliably. That said, individual experiences vary and based on those people will see what's better for them in their particular situations.

Reactions: snipr125

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
yeah faceID is superior to touchID. Touch ID is not as reliable.
That’s a purely subjective stance as it seems to be different depending on the person. I always found TouchID hugely reliable and have had more reliability and adjustment issues with FaceID so far. Others have no issues at all. Neither method seems to be identical in reliability and use.

Reactions: snipr125 and C DM

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Getting an Apple Watch SE has mostly solved my lack of touchID frustrations due to Covid. The only reason I whip out my phone at stores is for Apple Pay. With the watch, I can access it with a simple double-click of the watch power button... so for me the problem is solved.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
I personally enjoyed Face ID very much until this pandemic hit, now we have to wear masks when we are out and it’s very annoying entering a password every time. So annoying that I actually considered getting an iPhone SE 2 ?. But I can’t leave my iPhone 12 pro max alone for a min, that’s impossible.
Slip down your mask for 1 second or less and Wala your in. Real simple

Reactions: adamhenry
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.