Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Obviously, people have different uses for their phones and thus Touch or Face meets different needs. Both might be best solution for all

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Again, the notch is not an aesthetic design. It’s a function of the tech underneath. But in a weird way, unintentionally(debatable), it differentiated the iPhones screen from others. If you see that notch when a person next to you is using their device you know pretty much it’s an iPhone. So for me it’s not a “looks good” perspective. It’s their current sole biometric for now. If it’s a show stopper for you then explore your options. I personally don’t have an issue with it as it doesn’t impede Anything I do with the phone functionally. I can’t believe this thread ? is already about 160 posts deep. ?
I really just don't see what was the problem with having it in a small bezel on top, but of course we have the We WaNt AlL sCreEn SmArTpHoNe guys. Bezel>bitten screen.

Reactions: DanTSX

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
See the problem with posts like this is people have the mentality that "If I don't like it then it must be wrong". That's not how it works. Face ID is more popular. The only downside is the masks but that's a temporary issue.

I have a secondary Touch ID phone I use and no I wouldn't want to go back to that at all. I have friends with the Samsung version of Touch ID and while they're trying to get it to work I'm already using my phone.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
See the problem with posts like this is people have the mentality that "If I don't like it then it must be wrong". That's not how it works. Face ID is more popular. The only downside is the masks but that's a temporary issue.

I have a secondary Touch ID phone I use and no I wouldn't want to go back to that at all. I have friends with the Samsung version of Touch ID and while they're trying to get it to work I'm already using my phone.

The mentality here is that everyone is always wrong.?

DumbPhone

Suspended
Sep 6, 2020
may be future touch?...kaa?
BA3D6A28-E5E5-4792-989F-8B3E5A6A26C0.jpeg

Reactions: russell_314

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
There‘s the iPhone SE for those people then. I strongly disagree, btw; I take the notch over bezels anyday everyday.
If the SE had the latest processor, screen, sound, RAM just the option between faceID and touchID...yes I would buy it. It has the worse screen, older processor, less RAM, worse speakers, so no...iphone SE is not for people who prefer bezels of chipped screen.

Stan.06

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2020
Apple hates to be wrong, and they mostly never admits it.
In 2017, I think that they pushed out FaceID because they had no other way to do a borderless phone without sacrificing the touch ID function, so we all moved on with it.
But now, I think it's the best time for them if they ever want to bring that feature back (they did apply for some new patents for TouchID after they killed it on iPhones). Saying something like "due to covid-19 and the face masks, we have brought touch ID back to iPhones..."
Any thoughts?

Reactions: snipr125

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Touch ID under the display has been rumored for 2021 since before the virus.

kjmff5

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
While it is very inconvenient to have face id when using a mask, this is all temporary, and by that I mean within the next year or so, once the vaccine is widely available. I suspect people are keeping their phones for a longer period of time now a days, so I would just suffer through it. But that is only my opinion.

That being said, I went from an iPhone 8 to 12 this year and hate Face ID when I am paying with my phone and at work. Love it when I am at home.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
In my opinion, TouchID isn't coming back to iPhones.
Do you think that Apple could incorporate TouchID in future iPhones similar to what they implemented with the new iPad Air? Possibilities?. I actually like FaceID, but maybe that function would act as a compromise. Thoughts?

sjperformance

macrumors 68010
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Do you think that Apple could incorporate TouchID in future iPhones similar to what they implemented with the new iPad Air? Possibilities?. I actually like FaceID, but maybe that function would act as a compromise. Thoughts?
I actually like this method versus rear (Samsung) or in display...

Reactions: beach bum

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I say double down and bring back the mechanical home button too.
The fake buttons on the iPhone 7 and 8 don't work at all when wearing any type of glove. Such a hassle when phone is in a bracket and Raise to Wake can't be used.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Apple hates to be wrong, and they mostly never admits it.
In 2017, I think that they pushed out FaceID because they had no other way to do a borderless phone without sacrificing the touch ID function, so we all moved on with it.
But now, I think it's the best time for them if they ever want to bring that feature back (they did apply for some new patents for TouchID after they killed it on iPhones). Saying something like "due to covid-19 and the face masks, we have brought touch ID back to iPhones..."
Any thoughts?
I tend to agree. Covid may be still around on next 1-2 years (hopefully it can be earlier).

alee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
New York, NY
Apple's not backing away from Face ID anytime soon. There's a reason why the Mini doesn't have a home button. Whether they add Touch ID back in the form of a power button is up for debate, but I'd guess no - the question is more about available real estate for more components and complexity. Even giving up a 1mm right now is asking a lot with how tight everything is jammed in there.

Food for thought though: biometrics make your phone less secure. Biometrics are statistical models - e.g. this is 93% confidence that it matches the scan stored in the phone. That's fingerprints, Face ID, etc. The only 100% right or 100% wrong with no room for error is a passcode. If Apple is firmly embracing security, having 2 forms of less secure entry before flipping to PIN/passcode is technically not a great security model.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Apple could do anything. However, I don't think they want to bring TouchID back to the iPhones. iPhones tend to be personal devices. I think iPads are used differently, especially by businesses, that there are good arguments for TouchID over FaceID. I don't think those arguments work as well for iPhones.

Reactions: beach bum

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I don’t think Apple needs an excuse. They could easily bring it back if they wanted. I am not sure the desire is there for Apple.

I think the biggest stumbling block is that their iPhones are designed so long in advance. From what I have read, planning can be as far back as 2 years back, with the design locked in a full year in advance so there is sufficient time to source for components.

So based on this timeline, the specs and design of the next iPhone would have been locked in stone by now. Which poses an interesting conundrum. How long will this pandemic be around and how long are people reasonably expected to wear masks?

What’s intriguing was why the iPad Air this year had a fingerprint sensor though. Was it intended as a cost-saving measure or is it the test bed for Apple looking to bring Touch ID back to the iPhone?

Reactions: snipr125 and Zune55
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.