Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I disagree. It’s almost like there is no unlocking. As soon as I raise to wake I swipe and it’s already unlocked. Yes the notch is there but other oems have holes also.

Reactions: rawCpoppa

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
You "like" the notch? What does that even mean? You like losing screen real estate? It's one thing to say you don't mind it, or it doesn't hurt your experience, but it's obviously a design compromise until they can put FaceID under the screen.

I like it the notch, it's far better than a thick bezel housing everything. It's a good design choice.

Reactions: galaxycat

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I like the notch too. Doesn’t bother me a bit, and I use my phone for just about everything now that my kids are old enough to fight over my computer.

Reactions: galaxycat

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
I think they were right removing the home button for swipe gestures, but should of at least consider putting touch id back on, like on the new iPad Air.

Last edited:
Reactions: shadyman

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I've enjoyed FaceID, but I really want TouchID in addition to FaceID in this mask-world. In the car, it's always been annoying too when my phone is mounted, but I need to unlock it, and I have to either unmount my phone or move my face towards the device. It would be so convenient to have both TouchID and FaceID. I'm going to be really disappointed if Apple doesn't bring back TouchID in the power button alongside FaceID for the iPhone 13 lineup.

Reactions: Orka

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
I vastly improve face ID over touch ID. It has its issues due to the current and hopefully temporary pandemic, but I would not purchase a touch ID only iPhone. I think in 2021 or beyond having a touch ID option either under the display or in the power button, alongside face ID would be great.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
You’re 100% right, anyone who disagrees is a fanboy, we will be wearing masks for years, maybe forever as a vaccine may only be partially effective, this virus is a monster, Apple will have to adapt and ditch Face ID or become a has been.

You won't be wearing masks for years even if there isn't a vaccine or it's only partially effective. Eventually mask or no mask you'll catch it and you'll catch it again and again and by then your body will handle it like it does any common virus.

Last edited:

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I like Face ID. I don’t miss a big physical button.
And I never ever notice the notch.

If they added Touch ID to a button or something that may work too, but I like Face ID.

Reactions: digitalexplr

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
I don't think they were wrong, but having both FaceID & TouchID would make so much sense given our current situation.

Reactions: Orka

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
You won't be wearing masks for years even if there isn't a vaccine or it's only partially effective. Eventually mask or no mask you'll catch it and you'll catch it again and again and by then your body will handle it like it does any common virus.

There is zero evidence that our bodies “handle” a second Covid infection and in the short time it’s been around the people that have been re-infected have had it more seriously the second time. So yea, I’ll keep wearing a mask at least to protect myself from those who won’t.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
I love face ID.
Not having home button has been a bliss.
However, with the 12 mini coming out, i dont care what apple does with their future iphones.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
It takes courage to admit a mistake. Face ID was a mistake. The notch is not going away any time soon because of it.

Face ID is worse than in screen Finger print reader. You don’t save any time because you still have to swipe the screen up in order to reach your Home Screen.

also there is the fact that with face masks, Face ID doesn’t even work so you have to enter your passcode. Horrible.
Disagree.
FaceID wasn't a mistake. It was more secure than TouchID. The advent of face masks is a separate thing.

I do think Apple needs to put back TouchID in one form or another. Looking at the iPad Air, I believe it will go to the power button in future iPhones.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Most likely you’ll see some kind of Touch ID in the iPhone 13
A lot of chatter about this on different forums

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Imagine thinking Face ID is bad because a once in a century pandemic came along and made everyone wear masks.
Once in a century? Stuff like SARS/MERS/Ebola, etc. taking shots on goal every few years, and every once in awhile you're gonna have a COVID score and go worldwide. Hopefully we'll get our heads out of our asses, and get better at locking it down early here to avoid blowouts, but masking early is going to be the go-to guy for population-wide response. Get used to them.

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
This is absurd. Face ID is a much faster authentication than Touch ID. What "mistake" did they make? Your arguments thus far are not convincing.

Are you sure? I agrees it’s much safer but faster? Not in this pandemic. Touch ID, press the home button, its unlocked vs. Face ID, take off your mask, put the phone towards your face, swipe up, and put mask back on.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
There are pros and cons for both, it‘s just that FaceID is less useful these days with COVID. Definitely would like both on the next phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.