Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
There is zero evidence that our bodies “handle” a second Covid infection and in the short time it’s been around the people that have been re-infected have had it more seriously the second time. So yea, I’ll keep wearing a mask at least to protect myself from those who won’t.

I seriously don’t understand the terror this thing is still causing.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Once in a century? Stuff like SARS/MERS/Ebola, etc. taking shots on goal every few years, and every once in awhile you're gonna have a COVID score and go worldwide. Hopefully we'll get our heads out of our asses, and get better at locking it down early here to avoid blowouts, but masking early is going to be the go-to guy for population-wide response. Get used to them.

Sara, mers, Ebola are not worldwide pandemics so there’s that. We could’ve all worn masks since day 1 and the virus was still gonna stick around. It’s simply pushing back the time folks get infected

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Everyone saying Touch ID is better in this pandemic hasn’t suffered the skin dryness from all the hand washing. Both my iPad pros that have Touch ID don’t recognize my fingerprints 3/4 of the time to unlock. Also, I have tried removing and reprogramming them and it works for a week and then due to more skin dryness, cuts, etc. I’m back to square one. Face ID recognizes me with different facial hair, wearing sunglasses, hat, no hat, etc. I know when I’m wearing my mask I need to use my alphanumeric password, but I’m right now avoiding to use my phone in situations where I have my mask on because I could have contaminated hands and then I’m spreading that all over my phone

I'm surprised that you're having so much trouble.

I am currently working in retail and I've cleaned so much, it's as though I bleed hand sanitizer at this point. Touch ID works just as reliably as it ever did, which is 99.99%.

Mr.Scarface

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2009
You won't be wearing masks for years even if there isn't a vaccine or it's only partially effective. Eventually mask or no mask you'll catch it and you'll catch it again and again and by then your body will handle it like it does any common virus.

Or it kills you. Or it gives you long lasting health effects. This virus is not nothing.

Reactions: TOGURO06

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Nope. I love Face ID, it’s fast, it’s seamless and it works great for me.... I’ve been using an old 8+ while I wait for my 12 pro max (sold my 11 a little too early) and I find it annoying every time an app or something requires Touch ID I have to break my flow of what I’m doing and reach down and touch my finger.... whereas with Face ID it just happens seamlessly since I’m already looking at the phone.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Totally disagree. I will NEVER go back to a phone that has touch ID. Hate it. Absolutely love Face ID. And the stuff about covid and mask is irrelevant because that is a temporary situation. That being said, I would be okay with them coming out with different models for different people, then you can pick what you like best.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I seriously don’t understand the terror this thing is still causing.
How many deaths is the USA alone up to now? I stopped paying attention when it passed 200k. Can’t exactly dismiss it as “just a flu”. I personally trust the medical experts all over the world when they say something is a big deal and unlike anything we’ve faced in 100 years.

Reactions: PrincePoppycock

Caviar_X

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
It’s stupid they are still hanging on to this in the middle of a pandemic. You practically have to get undressed before you can authenticate ApplePay these days. It’s so ****ing annoying.

Reactions: ActionFigures

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Apple wasn’t wrong.

Just because they couldn’t predict corona, doesn’t make them wrong.

You’re wrong in blaming Apple. But the question is will you accept it?

Reactions: Complex757

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’m on my first FaceID phone with the iPhone 12 and can say after a few weeks now that TouchID was more consistent and reliable in my experience. There are still times where the phone fails to open and I’m frustratingly swiping the screen trying to get the device to the home screen.

I used to say how I was fine with TouchID and would see people arguing how FaceID is more convenient and faster. I’m amused to learn I haven’t been proven wrong yet.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
It takes courage to admit a mistake. Face ID was a mistake. The notch is not going away any time soon because of it.

Face ID is worse than in screen Finger print reader. You don’t save any time because you still have to swipe the screen up in order to reach your Home Screen.

also there is the fact that with face masks, Face ID doesn’t even work so you have to enter your passcode. Horrible.
Nahhhhhhhhhhhh I love Face ID. Come on it needed a once in a lifetime World wide destabilizing pandemic to make Touch ID relevant. We will move on.. eventually. This pandemic mask wearing thing isn’t forever. The sun will rise tomorrow.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Touch ID was terrible in the winter (which in Canada is approximately 40 weeks of the year) because outside you have to remove your gloves to put your finger or thumb on the sensor or.... type in your passcode, just like we have to do with masks now.

I loved Touch ID on my iPhone 7. Now that I have my 11, I'm quite glad I don't have Touch ID any longer.
Agree
Touch ID was cool when it came out. It has its own set of disadvantages, there is nothing superior about it when comparing the two. Those who prefer Touch ID also prefer the older style phones. Myself, I prefer Face ID, because it is superior in just about every way. I can have wet hands, or a bandaid and have full access to my phone lol. Try that with Touch ID.

As for the notch, it’s better than a bezel any day of the week. On a 6.5 phone you hardly notice the notch anyways because there is sooo much screen underneath it.
I like how Face ID iPhones are iconic. You watch a movie or show and they show a phone with a notch and you know it’s an iPhone. There’s more reasons than that but again it’s pretty iconic design.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Face ID works perfectly fine in the dark.
I suppose it depends how one defines ‘perfectly fine’. If often failing to bring up the home screen despite multiple swipes and an unlocked padlock symbol is perfectly fine, then that isn’t my definition. It doesn’t do this every time but it’s more often than not and I’ve managed to rule out any chance I have a faulty device.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Mine works in almost pitch black. WYM.
Mine does eventually but it’s a good 10-15 seconds of frustrated swiping before the solid line comes up at the bottom of the screen to indicate the device is fully unlocked. In this instance, it’s much slower than TouchID. This is my first FaceID phone and I’ve been reading for years now how much better it is on here. I’m yet to be convinced. It perfect lighting it’s quick and easy.

One other annoyance is when the phone is flat on my desk and you have to pick it up because it can’t detect your face at an angle. The days of subtly checking a notification in meetings appear to be over lol.

Reactions: remington79
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.