Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Face ID is worse than in screen Finger print reader.

At least the under the screen fingerprint reader on my Samsung company device doesn't work very consistently at all.
Especially after just washing my hands. (Surpisingly not because they are too wet, but because they are too dry!)
And guess what i'm doing a lot these days?

So if they add TouchID as a 2nd authentication method, i would rather have it in the power button.

Reactions: klasma

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I suppose it depends how one defines ‘perfectly fine’. If often failing to bring up the home screen despite multiple swipes and an unlocked padlock symbol is perfectly fine, then that isn’t my definition. It doesn’t do this every time but it’s more often than not and I’ve managed to rule out any chance I have a faulty device.
I define 'Face ID works perfectly fine in the dark' as "Face ID has never failed to authenticate me in the dark".

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
It takes courage to admit a mistake. Face ID was a mistake. The notch is not going away any time soon because of it.

Face ID is worse than in screen Finger print reader. You don’t save any time because you still have to swipe the screen up in order to reach your Home Screen.

also there is the fact that with face masks, Face ID doesn’t even work so you have to enter your passcode. Horrible.

I originally had my doubts about FaceID, but I've found it really works fantastic for most of my use cases.

UNTIL Covid.

Now it is a pain in the rear.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I originally had my doubts about FaceID, but I've found it really works fantastic for most of my use cases.

UNTIL Covid.

Now it is a pain in the rear.
I very rarely use my phone when I’m wearing a mask but then again I’m avoiding public places as much as possible. I only have to wear a mask of popping into a shop quickly and then I’m not using my phone. Are you guys in masks a lot of the time?

Reactions: blairh

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I very rarely use my phone when I’m wearing a mask but then again I’m avoiding public places as much as possible. I only have to wear a mask of popping into a shop quickly and then I’m not using my phone. Are you guys in masks a lot of the time?
Since Covid, I've been working from home. But I like using Apple Pay in the stores (with mask on)...which requires me unlocking my phone. Maybe I should just get an Apple Watch to solve this problem.

Reactions: ayuchan

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Since Covid, I've been working from home. But I like using Apple Pay in the stores (with mask on)...which requires me unlocking my phone. Maybe I should just get an Apple Watch to solve this problem.
Ah fair enough, I haven’t used Apple Pay for nearly 4 years now as I’ve always used it on a watch. It’s much more convenient on the watch of you need any encouragement :)

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Ah fair enough, I haven’t used Apple Pay for nearly 4 years now as I’ve always used it on a watch. It’s much more convenient on the watch of you need any encouragement :)
I know. I'm currently on a Pixel 4XL. I sold my old Gen 2 Apple Watch before switching to the Pixel. I now have a Garmin Fenix 6X which is great, but the "Garmin" pay is a PITA as you have to put in the password using side-buttons once a day. Apple watch's auto-unlock when phone unlocks is much much better.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
At least the under the screen fingerprint reader on my Samsung company device doesn't work very consistently at all.
Especially after just washing my hands. (Surpisingly not because they are too wet, but because they are too dry!)
And guess what i'm doing a lot these days?

So if they add TouchID as a 2nd authentication method, i would rather have it in the power button. Thus why we don't have it yet.
that's the samsung version. The version apple is working on is not the same.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Agree to disagree OP. FaceID is miles better than TouchID. In a perfect world we'd have both, but on the iPhone, I'd much rather have FaceID over power/Siri button TouchID. I hardly ever press the Power button anymore.

mainelyme

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2017
Face ID and Touch ID both work perfectly well for me. Both are fast and reliable. However, Touch ID is often far more convenient, and not just during a pandemic. When the phone is lying on a table, or mounted in my car, having to pick it up or move my head so that it's the right distance and angle in relation to the phone is a nuisance. I also dislike tap-to-wake as it introduces accidental touchscreen interactions. I know I can turn that off in Accessibility but then I'm wiggling my thumb all over the place to get into the phone.

Just little things, nothing to lose sleep over. But it would please me to have Touch ID again.

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
Touch ID is better than Face ID when it comes to Apple Pay. It is simply faster. Other than that, Face ID doesn't bother me to use.

Reactions: Orka

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Unless you have a bandaid on, wet fingers, paper cut, amputation.. I wouldn’t mind having both, I would let it image my print again.

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
Unless you have a bandaid on, wet fingers, paper cut, amputation.. I wouldn’t mind having both, I would let it image my print again.
I went from the 6s to the SE 2020. I stored a couple of prints from each hand. If I have to upgrade before some form of Touch ID comes out I’ll just have to use the 6 digit passcode.
I don’t think it even lets you pick a 4 digit anymore but even when it did I still used a 6 digit.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
I've found that if you pull the mask down to just below your nostrils for a few seconds the face id works.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Gloves don’t work with touchID so for me FaceID wins, and you can make it work with a. mask using alternate face option.

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
It takes courage to admit a mistake. Face ID was a mistake. The notch is not going away any time soon because of it.

Face ID is worse than in screen Finger print reader. You don’t save any time because you still have to swipe the screen up in order to reach your Home Screen.

also there is the fact that with face masks, Face ID doesn’t even work so you have to enter your passcode. Horrible.
The masks are currently an inconvenience yes, but temporary.

I've had every flagship phone Apple has made. I find Face ID to be far superior to Touch ID for almost all use cases. I don't mind if they re-add some kind of Touch ID, but not at the expense of Face ID ... that would be a serious regression.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
Now that I finally have a FaceID phone I am even more impressed. I basically pick up my phone and it’s already unlocked. And now I won’t have to fight with fingerprint sensor with sweaty hands ever again. This just reinforces that FaceID is far far superior.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I went from the 6s to the SE 2020. I stored a couple of prints from each hand. If I have to upgrade before some form of Touch ID comes out I’ll just have to use the 6 digit passcode.
I don’t think it even lets you pick a 4 digit anymore but even when it did I still used a 6 digit.
Lol I know I used to take multiple samples of the same finger and even that was not guaranteed.

Reactions: iObama
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.