Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Everyone saying Touch ID is better in this pandemic hasn’t suffered the skin dryness from all the hand washing. Both my iPad pros that have Touch ID don’t recognize my fingerprints 3/4 of the time to unlock. Also, I have tried removing and reprogramming them and it works for a week and then due to more skin dryness, cuts, etc. I’m back to square one. Face ID recognizes me with different facial hair, wearing sunglasses, hat, no hat, etc. I know when I’m wearing my mask I need to use my alphanumeric password, but I’m right now avoiding to use my phone in situations where I have my mask on because I could have contaminated hands and then I’m spreading that all over my phone

Maetzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
I prefer TouchID over FaceID, but I hope we can eventually get both of them and choose to use both, one of them or neither.

Reactions: Devyn89

MDePew24

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2008
Ballwin, MO
It takes courage to admit a mistake. Face ID was a mistake. The notch is not going away any time soon because of it.

Face ID is worse than in screen Finger print reader. You don’t save any time because you still have to swipe the screen up in order to reach your Home Screen.

also there is the fact that with face masks, Face ID doesn’t even work so you have to enter your passcode. Horrible.
While I don't like the notch, I do love FaceID and until they get a reliable in screen finger print reader in their phones, I don't want a side or home button. Just my opinion. Everyone has their own though.

Reactions: TOGURO06

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Everyone saying Touch ID is better in this pandemic hasn’t suffered the skin dryness from all the hand washing. Both my iPad pros that have Touch ID don’t recognize my fingerprints 3/4 of the time to unlock. Also, I have tried removing and reprogramming them and it works for a week and then due to more skin dryness, cuts, etc. I’m back to square one. Face ID recognizes me with different facial hair, wearing sunglasses, hat, no hat, etc. I know when I’m wearing my mask I need to use my alphanumeric password, but I’m right now avoiding to use my phone in situations where I have my mask on because I could have contaminated hands and then I’m spreading that all over my phone
Agreed, I work with my hands for a living and even 2nd gen Touchid fails 75% of the time on my iPad. I have disabled it and just use a passcode because of how often it won't read a print. This includes registering 2 separate digits multiple times. Faceid has completely eliminated that for me. I would never purchase another Apple device that doesn't have it or at least both..

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
There is zero evidence that our bodies “handle” a second Covid infection and in the short time it’s been around the people that have been re-infected have had it more seriously the second time. So yea, I’ll keep wearing a mask at least to protect myself from those who won’t.

You just keep it on forever then if it makes you feel safe, but a lot of people who have been masked have caught it. The only way to be 100% safe is not leave your home for any reason and disinfect all surfaces on a daily basis.

Reactions: DanTSX and Skoal

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You just keep it on forever then if it makes you feel safe, but a lot of people who have been masked have caught it. The only way to be 100% safe is not leave your home for any reason and disinfect all surfaces on a daily basis.
What the evidence has shown is that viral load you are exposed to impacts the severity of your symptoms. And while you are correct that people who wear masks can still catch CV, wearing a mask can be the difference between being sick at home and sick in the hospital.

Reactions: redbeard331

mailman199

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2008
New York
I would like to have both. Sometimes I really like not having to touch the phone to login to a site for example, other times I’m too far away and would prefer to touch the phone rather than move into range (like when driving). Having both would be perfect for me.

Reactions: miamialley

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Designs are locked in a year in advance and wearing a mask didn't become a thing until like March/April

They simply couldn't just redesign it in time
I mean this is the same company that changed the original iPhone screen from plastic to glass 1 month before launch. They probably could have done it if they wanted to, especially since they had already built the button for the iPad.

Woyly

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
NJ
The iPhone notch is quite iconic to be honest. But who knows they might get rid of it in the future.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
It takes courage to admit a mistake. Face ID was a mistake. The notch is not going away any time soon because of it.

Face ID is worse than in screen Finger print reader. You don’t save any time because you still have to swipe the screen up in order to reach your Home Screen.

also there is the fact that with face masks, Face ID doesn’t even work so you have to enter your passcode. Horrible.

That's why I have my phone jailbroken, no need to swipe up, faceID takes care of it immediately. It's so convenient

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I wouldn't buy a phone that only had touch id. Face-Id is much more reliable for me
On my iPad, the touch id works fine much of the time. Sometimes, I struggle to get the finger placed correctly. Neither is perfect, but I get to live with both due to my mixture of devices.

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
I feel Touch ID should be in the power button like Sony has on their phones. I hate finger readers in the screen, they feel unnatural to use for me. I also don't get why Face ID isnt in the new Mac's like Windows Hello has. I LOVE Hello on my Surface Pro and desktop.

LED

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
For those who are griping about Face ID and masks, I hear you. There is a workaround that is floating around and I have done it and it works. Set up an alternate appearance, and this time, take your mask and fold it in half. Take one hand and cover one side of your mouth area with the half mask as you move your head around for the camera. So basically one quarter of your face is covered with the 'half mask'. If you cover too much of your face, the phone will complain.

If I can find the video I saw, I'll post it.

Edit: Here’s the link

Last edited:

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
FaceID is superior to Touch ID, for me at least. When I was using my old 6 and the first generation SE, I do get rejects from sweaty/grimy thumb. Prior to the pandemic, unlocking with FaceID was a breeze. My 11PM has been able to unlock me with my cloth mask on, thanks to the machine learning capabilities of this great iPhone.

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
You "like" the notch? What does that even mean? You like losing screen real estate? It's one thing to say you don't mind it, or it doesn't hurt your experience, but it's obviously a design compromise until they can put FaceID under the screen.

I’d guess what he meant was he likes the notch. Just going out on a limb. I see what you’re saying but I literally don’t even notice it and whatever real estate I’m losing is minute enough to not even care. If they do away with the notch, cool. If they don’t, also cool. I could care less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.