Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
This is a little confusing to be honest. I think they should drop the 1st gen Apple Pencil along with the 9th gen iPad to end the Lightning connector for good. Then lower the price of the 10th gen iPad and replace the 2nd gen Apple Pencil with this one.

This way you have just four iPad categories: the Pros, Prosumer (Air), and Basic (regular iPad and Mini)
There should be only two options for Apple Pencils: This upcoming one as the 3rd gen and the Apple Pencil USB-C model

incidentallycheckout

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2024
Need to simplify the iPad lineup (devices and accessories), not make it even more confusing. We here may know exactly what we want but the general consumer will not know what to pick.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
Pro? Personally, I think I'll hold out for the inevitable Ultra, or maybe an Apple Pencil Hermès. :cool:

(seriously, how do you make an Apple pencil more "pro?" More buttons? Fancy leather FineWoven grip?)

• Haha
Reactions: FriendlyMackle

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
Dear cultists, there seems to be some confusion about wonderful Apple slapping the Pro label on increasingly expensive iThings that are obviously not professional. Well, Pro doesn’t stand for professional, it stands for profound. Apple is profound, iGizmos are profound, Tim Apple is profound and you to might aspire to being profound by buying all our stuff. I pray to Mammon this helps. 🙏🏻 Tim Apple

• Haha
Reactions: TVreporter

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
When pros use Apples consumer products, Apple usually creates a pro version to squeeze as many shekels as it can from those who have come to rely on it instead of releasing updated versions that give you more for the same price. If it allows you to trace items that are in the real world that would be cool, or if you could rub the pen on an item in the real world and it scans it that would be a pretty pro feature, if it can get the color from an item in the real world that would also be great. A few more button clicks is not it. So my guess is this thing is going to have more tech in it. Which would separate it from those that just need a pen to draw with. But since its apple they will only have one big feature in it and save the other ones for newer versions years from now.

Reactions: TVreporter

Systra72

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
$200 then for the new Pencil Pro. $399 Magic Keyboard Pro. And the brand new iPad Pro for just $1399.
I've heard $1800 for the Ipad, and $200 for the pro pencil does not sound that much. If they just make it gold plated they can get $500 :)

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
No product escapes Cook's ruthless product segmentation:

• F-tier, as in "feature-free" USB-C Apple Pencil($79)
  • Mid-tier($129), 2nd Gen. Still good but hasn't been updated in 5-6 years
  • And now the senselessly expensive, high-end Apple Pencil "Pro"($199?) that really is the only option that gives you good value/$, the only option that's truly market-leading in 2024.

And, completely by "coincidence", if you want to use your $199 Pro Pencil at all you're also getting a brand new 2024 iPad Pro.

$999+ Apple Pencil Pro..

Reactions: Rogifan

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Apples iPad line up should hopefully start to make a lot more sense soon. Here’s hoping they discontinue all the other Pencils and you just have (a) Pencil with USB C charging (b) Pencil Pro with wireless charging, pressure sensitivity, squeeze gestures etc.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
So Apple already has three pencils in the wild, right? So this would make 4?
The 1st Gen. Pencil gets nixed tomorrow as to not remind you deeply low-value and feature-cut the $79 USB-C Pencil is, and that you got excellent, high-end pressure sensitivity in the 2015 Pencil but not in the 2023 $79 Pencil.

No, Apple isn't saving you $20 when you now have to pay $50 more ($129) to get back the excellent pressure sensitivity.

Furthermore, you can't even use the $129 Pencil on anything less than an iPad Air. So add another $149 to that $129 if you thought you were just getting an iPad 10th Gen. for $449.

iPad 9 also gets the cut tomorrow.

It checks out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.