Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
So to make it more confusing. We’ll get a “Pro” pencil only compatible with the iPad Pro? So they’ll have like 5 different pencil models on sale with a compatibility matrix all over the map.

Yikes.

Hopefully they simplify this somewhere. It is getting ridiculous.

dustin.haley

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
My prediction is this will actually lead to simplification of the lineup…

They stop selling the 2nd Gen Pencil tomorrow and in the fall when they stop selling the 9th Gen iPad, they will stop selling the 1st Gen Pencil.

This leaves the line up as:
- Apple Pencil
- Apple Pencil Pro

They can then stop referring to the pencils by generation / connector to regular ol consumers, although surely will still have them technically named by generation / connection as they do now.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Apples iPad line up should hopefully start to make a lot more sense soon. Here’s hoping they discontinue all the other Pencils and you just have (a) Pencil with USB C charging (b) Pencil Pro with wireless charging, pressure sensitivity, squeeze gestures etc.
Like everything Apple, there's three iPad tiers. And there will, obviously, be a Pencil for each tier, respectively:
  1. Apple-branded $10 Amazon stylus USB-C Pencil works with iPad 10th Gen., Air and Pro.
  2. 5-year-old 2nd Gen. Pencil works only with iPads Air and Pro.
  3. Brand new Pro Pencil works only with iPad Pro.
And Apple is going to go so hard on how you're going to become the next Walt Disney with your new Pro Pencil and iPad, using the Procreate Dreams app.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Pro? Personally, I think I'll hold out for the inevitable Ultra, or maybe an Apple Pencil Hermès. :cool:

(seriously, how do you make an Apple pencil more "pro?" More buttons? Fancy leather FineWoven grip?)
Apple Pencil Pro will offer haptic feedback that makes it feel as if you're drawing on different materials. It'll be an industry first in the tablet market.

It'll also have new internals, Bluetooth radios, better battery-life (2nd Gen. Pencil hasn't been updated since 2018).

It'll be as high-end and market-leading as AirPods Pro 2nd. Gen. are in the wireless headphones market.

In short, you get no value/$ in a pretty package with the $79 Pencil, something good but outdated with the $129 Pencil, and the World's most advanced, high-end drawing stylus Pencil Pro for $199+(requires 2024 iPad Pro).

1st Gen. Pencil retires to make the $79 the new entry-level model.

dandbln

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2024
I think everyone is miss reading this. The 'squeeze' factor of this I think will be a way to pressure sensitively be able to draw and sculpt mid air with the vision pro.

I'm sure it will have different capabilities when paired to the ipad but i think the main 'Pro" aspect will be in its nature to interact with vision

Gooner49

macrumors demi-god
Jun 26, 2013
Chicago, IL
Going to see how they package this SKU as the 'pro' tier and justify the expensive pricetag that one expects with a PRO device.
Setting the countdown timer ....

McTool

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2016
Put Pro behind it and charge more.
The lineup of every product is a mess.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Like everything Apple, there's three iPad tiers. And there will, obviously, be a Pencil for each tier, respectively:
  1. Apple-branded $10 Amazon stylus USB-C Pencil works with iPad 10th Gen., Air and Pro.
  2. 5-year-old 2nd Gen. Pencil works only with iPads Air and Pro.
  3. Brand new Pro Pencil works only with iPad Pro.
And Apple is going to go so hard on how you're going to become the next Walt Disney with your new Pro Pencil and iPad, using the Procreate Dreams app.

I’m not so sure this time. I would be fairly sure that the new Airs will
receive the landscape oriented webcam to match the base model that has had it for years now. Of course that then means the charging mechanism will need to change as the will then sit right in the middle of where it currently is.

Not long till we know now of course. But unless Apple wants to downgrade the current magnetic Pencil charging on the Airs, or stick with an outdated portrait webcam, we’ll be seeing this new ‘Pencil Pro’ on the Airs.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Okay so now this is gonna be the fourth Apple Pencil? Once you start introducing too many options. You confuse consumers and they eventually walk away. This is a mess. They really need to simply their lineup.
And they’re gonna charge $199.99 for this “pro” pencil probably 🤦‍♂️

So Apple already has three pencils in the wild, right? So this would make 4?
If I were a betting man I'd wager the 1st and 2nd generation pencils are being discontinued soon.

The 1st generation pencil only hangs around because it works with the still on sale 9th generation iPad. Once that model goes away Apple will stop selling that pencil. The Apple Pencil (USB-C) is the logical replacement as a low end basic stylus that works with the base iPad.

The 2nd generation pencil will likely be discontinued when the new Air and Pro models launch. If the rumors of a landscape-oriented camera are true that means Apple would have had to rearrange the charging assembly for the iPad/Pencil so the 2nd generation wouldn't be able to dock and charge on the new iPads even if technically compatible. The Apple Pencil Pro is the logical successor.

So Apple is likely going from 3 confusingly named pencils to two: Apple Pencil (basic features), and Apple Pencil Pro (more advanced features).

Rodney Williams

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2020
I'm okay with my M1 iPad Pro 11 inch and my 2nd Gen Apple Pencil. It does everything that I need it to do and more. Not going to go for broke like that unless my iPad Pro or Apple Pencil got broken or damaged.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
Translation error: the text might instead be "...the Pro's hand holding the Apple Pencil and drawing"

Also, it doesn't say "the zombie typing on the keyboard with the Apple Pencil stuck on the magnet hardly used at all..."

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
I think everyone is miss reading this. The 'squeeze' factor of this I think will be a way to pressure sensitively be able to draw and sculpt mid air with the vision pro.

I'm sure it will have different capabilities when paired to the ipad but i think the main 'Pro" aspect will be in its nature to interact with vision

VR painting and sculpting has been around for 10 years now and the buzz died long ago after a little hype. There’s so little VR art that it is nearly non existent.

Artists just hate waving their arms in the air without making physical contact with an object, material or surface. It’s tiring and imprecise.

Reactions: gusmula

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
Put Pro behind it and charge more.
The lineup of every product is a mess.

Look at Wacom’s line.

They also have a Pro pen.

Some of their customers got angry this month because they discontinued the Art Pen 2 which is the only pen with barrel rotation.

Maybe that’s an opening for Apple if they can get barrel rotation working.

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
A brand new, invisible pen you can use with your Apple Vision Pro.
It weighs nothing, has infinite battery life and can be downloaded in-goggle for only £99.99
We think you’re gonna love it!

chazwatson

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
San Diego, CA US
Surely I can’t be the only one to connect the fact that the promo image on their site being erasable means you’ll be able to use the other end as an eraser.

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
I want the Pencil Pro Max Air Vision, obviously it wil only work with a M4 iPad and not be compatible with any previous software, why would Apple update my $1800 iPad Pro right?

Misuteri

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2018
I can't get it until it has 128GB for my drawings to move from tablet to desktop.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So the people clamouring for sideloading on iOS are also the people who get confused by multiple stylus options on an iPad?
I don’t think they’re confused. I think they’re suggesting the iPad product line is confusing for many customers. I would agree. The iPad line right now is designed to fill various price points. I would hope the 9th gen goes away tomorrow and the lineup is good (iPad) > better (iPad Air) > best (iPad Pro). And I hope they simplify the Apple Pencil so it’s just a basic pencil (for most people) and a pro pencil (for serious artists). I am curious what happens with the pencils that connect magnetically. Will those be comparable with the new iPad Pad pros?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.