Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
Yep. And the compatibility matrix is already a mess.

Some iPads work with some pencils but not others. This is really confusing. It doesn't have to be that way Apple.
No idea how anyone would disagree with this. I’ve been asked by a friend to help him buy an iPad for his wife. This year, vs last models, vs minis, 9.7 inch iPad 10.9 inch iPad, 11 inch pro, 10.5 inch pro (older), 12.9 inch pro, soon to be 12.9 inch air… all different gens (minis = 6th - iPads= 10th, Airs… i don’t even know)

And. I. Pay. Very. Close. Attention. To. This. Stuff.

It’s a BIT easier, when you only consider current models… but when folks are considering previous models, and add in discounts and try to walk someone through why the iPad (standard) 10th gen is this or that compared to a mini 6th gen, and an air is almost as cheap but isn’t lighter than either of them… like idk.

Crazy.

Reactions: CalMin

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Hopefully it will not be priced much higher than the current model due to it being a "Pro" model.

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
I mean… There might not be a chance it works on any iPad Pro not announced at today’s event. It could be some AI pencil that needs the M4 😂😭

Jokes aside, the issue with backwards compatibility isn’t the CPU or software. The digitiser that enables things like pencil hover is all in the display digitiser and pencil.

The Pro pen itself could have that long awaited color picker sensor not just a slider or squeeze gesture. Nobody has mentioned that. People forgot.

amaze1499

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2014

Attachments

• IMG_0335.jpeg
    IMG_0335.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 12

tollickd

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2010
Que - Jony Ive voice over.

We looked and the humble pencil and brought it to Apple Ipad pro back in the year xxxx now we see this as a piece of Magical art in your hand a new way to write on a Tablet a more free crisp clean Pencil. After 100 of hours of R&D we are please to introduce the Apple Pencil Pro this is not simply a pencil its a Pro Pencil.

Available next week for the low price of 399.99 $ we cant wait for see what people do with it

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
Look at Wacom’s line.

They also have a Pro pen.

Some of their customers got angry this month because they discontinued the Art Pen 2 which is the only pen with barrel rotation.

Maybe that’s an opening for Apple if they can get barrel rotation working.

Ah good. I said yesterday it would be great if Apple had barrel rotation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.