Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
giphy.gif

These aren't the friends your looking for. You can go about your business. Move along.😁

cfountain72

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
Tampa, FL
Very cool feature, but it's going to be a few years before all my friends have 15 or higher iPhones to make this work consistently.

I'm not sure what the technology is that makes this work (Bluetooth, NFC?) but like so many things it would be much more useful if it was platform-agnostic and I could share location with people whether they have an Android or an iPhone.
If you're not moving around too much, use the What3Words app. https://what3words.com/clip.apples.leap

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Shows the most ridiculous situation that most of us will never be in to use a feature that most of us will never use. Great.
In all fairness, I just used this feature at the zoo with my wife last weekend. Had to take our youngest to the bathroom and was trying to meet up with the rest of the family and her description of where they were wasn't making sense so I had her use this to set a beacon and found her minutes.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I love Star Wars movies. At the same time, it concerns me that Apple is trying to appeal to Star Wars superfans with their marketing instead of being the "cool" brand they've long positioned themselves as throughout their rise to the top.

I think dropping it on May 3rd is just a way for them to get in on the pop culture SW moment. I don't think Apple will drastically change the marketing we've seen from them.

This is similar to the Usher ad during before the Super Bowl...then they go back to releasing standard ads. The company is big enough with a huge consumer base to pull off multiple types of advertising.

JordanCautious

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2023
I'm not even a Star Wars fan and I found the ad very enjoyable to watch when I saw it earlier today lol. Wasn't surprised it was T-mobile who made it. I was surprised the Apple YouTube channel uploaded a ad like this since they usually make their ads in a different way

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Very cool feature, but it's going to be a few years before all my friends have 15 or higher iPhones to make this work consistently.

I'm not sure what the technology is that makes this work (Bluetooth, NFC?) but like so many things it would be much more useful if it was platform-agnostic and I could share location with people whether they have an Android or an iPhone.
This uses a new UltraWide Band chip, U2, for the location estimates. That’s why it is limited to the 15. It’s a lot more precise and accurate than GPS or Bluetooth. Longer range than NFC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.