Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Funny how majority of the companies trying to push this makes insane money off selling data or doesn't do their due diligence in security *cough* Nothing *cough*

Funny how the company opposed to this makes insane money by doing things like blocking competition to their app store via restricting sideloading, alternative app stores, etc.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Gotta laugh at the criticism here, as if Apple was a member, or joined, it would be the best thing ever. I love my apple products, but they make it hard to use non-apple products, or communicate with android users in the US, as sms is king.
My iPhone works great with people who have Android phones, so what are you talking about? Does having a green bubble make it difficult to communicate? LOL. Hate to say it, but google is FOS on this one. If you have an iPhone you are free to choose iMessage, or any number of other messaging apps as you prefer. The fact that most people choose iMessage, says a lot. Finally, why does RCS have such a crappy encryption standard. Listening to Google, you would think they would have a much better one, not a not better one. Again, up the game google. If it is truly better, then people will use it.

Google could even adopt a completely new, platform independent, service that met all their requirements. If it was better, then even iPhone users would adopt it, if it wasn't, then iPhone users would stay on iMessage.

Can't go without mention that some companies, like Facebook, have been caught purposely draining batteries. shouldn't everyone impacted get a big financial settlement from Zuck? from the sounds of complaints, I suspect that one issue caught by a whistleblower is only the tip of the iceberg, There seems like a whole lot of other crap out there that has not yet been exposed. A financial responsibility law and criminal penalties, and finders fees to those finding it and exposing it, would be great.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
What is obvious here is that the top tech firms in the world are all US based. Yet, of course, they go to the Marxist EU to try and reign in Apple because the capitalist system that made them successful in the first place, isn’t giving them the competitive advantage on a silver platter.

The customer should be the ultimate decider, not some overpaid government bureaucrat.
What’s sad is the neo-Marxists have taken over US institutions as well.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
Ok to sideloading. However if you still use the Apple App store you should have to follow their rules. Its your choice to make. Will i use sketchy 3rd party stores?... Nope, I did the jail brake thing once it was the worst ever not even going to entertain a separate app store again.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Gotta laugh at the criticism here, as if Apple was a member, or joined, it would be the best thing ever. I love my apple products, but they make it hard to use non-apple products, or communicate with android users in the US, as sms is king.
Cross platform messaging apps say hi.

If Apple joined this, i'd say the same thing. COnsumers should have the power to choose. Not government regulation

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Next year at this time, European iPhone users will be able to install whatever apps they want onto devices that they paid for, with no content review, security review, or app category bans to stand in their way.

That used to be the kind of thing that was celebrated by the tech people that populated forums like these. I can’t tell you how weird it is to see that 90% of the reaction here is making fun of the regulators or the companies that are pushing for greater digital openness (even if they’re doing it out of self-interest).

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Yes let them all start by making their programs open and interacting to show us how it will work... Let Google track all interactions with Facebook, make Microsoft implement all Adobe file formats, make Microsoft release Access for Macs and iOS... let's see how they like sharing before they rope others into it. ;)

Agreed. Let’s go all the way! Games should all be in Macs. Microsoft should port DirectX to natively support macOS! Why is it always one way but not another? macOS gets crappy third party support for the most part. But they want Apple to give without any take.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
We built the greatest terrestrial human engineering project of the 20th Century with government help and, until the fleet got grounded had supersonic passenger planes that never took off in the USA because the FAA banned them in case they disturbed people on the ground.

As an aside, it was my father sitting at the end of the runway with a sound meter and a crew of acoustic engineers that resulted Concorde being banned from Dulles Airport. Concorde was simply too loud - it violated laws regarding noise pollution. It's high angle of attack, nearly twice that of other jets, simply directed too much acoustic energy toward the ground. The people around the airport hated Concorde's noise, and I must admit that my father, who was a local politician at that time, looked like a cat that swallowed a canary when the sound measurements were verified. And, FWIW, this had nothing to do with sonic booms, which Concorde only created over the Atlantic.

Anyway to add to your list of government-funded achievements, I'd add the internet and HTML. Government isn't always bad, but in this case I think the EU is caving in to nonsense about Apple's walled garden.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I don't think even a small majority of Android users have ever installed anything outside of the Play Store or even know how, let alone anything pirated.
It's common knowledge that Apple users actually spend more on Apps than Android users do.

There are over 3 billion active users of Android. Do you really want to try and sit here and act like that even 1 percent of 3 billion users (which is 30 million) is not a lot of illegal downloads from up and coming developers.

Considering the world literally is always looking for a way to get movies for free, music for free, games for free...why on earth would you think it is difficult to do a simple google search and find out how to get an app for free?

It's 2023. It's not that hard to find out how to get pirated items.

• Disagree
Reactions: dk001

koil

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2019
Ok to sideloading. However if you still use the Apple App store you should have to follow their rules. Its your choice to make. Will i use sketchy 3rd party stores?... Nope, I did the jail brake thing once it was the worst ever not even going to entertain a separate app store again.
That would have been the case if Apple had enabled sideloading on their own. Now that a regulator has stepped in they've lost the ability to self-regulate partly. I fully expect the DMA will have an impact on App Store rules for the EU market, but I doubt it would have if there had been alternatives available when it was written.

It's common knowledge that Apple users actually spend more on Apps than Android users do.

There are over 3 billion active users of Android. Do you really want to try and sit here and act like that even 1 percent of 3 billion users (which is 30 million) is not a lot of illegal downloads from up and coming developers.

Considering the world literally is always looking for a way to get movies for free, music for free, games for free...why on earth would you think it is difficult to do a simple google search and find out how to get an app for free?

That's not why Apple users spend more on apps than Android users. Apple users spend more on apps than Android users because they have more money, evidenced by the fact that they own an iPhone...

There are many safety mechanisms in place to ensure users who don't know what they are doing aren't putting themselves at risk. The same will be true of the iOS implementation.

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
Colonialists and imperialists also tried to force countries to be “open” before invading them and destroying their culture and people.

It’s called gunboat diplomacy. Surrender to us, open your borders, or we will attack you.

This is what Facebook and Google want to do to Apple’s platforms and users.

They want your data, they want your metadata, they want to scam you, they want to assist in your oppression and they want to destroy your safety and privacy.

Let’s remember the amount of filth and scams their ad platforms and tracking brought to the world.

Let’s remember the amount of criminals and hostile nations who used their platforms to damage democracy.

Never forget.

Reactions: AlphaCentauri

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015

1% is not a majority.. 49% is not a majority. My wife has been using Pixel's since the 2. She has never pirated an app, or even used an alternative app store, and doesn't care to learn how. She spends nothing on apps, and we're not low income.

I stick with what I said.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Next year at this time, European iPhone users will be able to install whatever apps they want onto devices that they paid for, with no content review, security review, or app category bans to stand in their way.

That used to be the kind of thing that was celebrated by the tech people that populated forums like these. I can’t tell you how weird it is to see that 90% of the reaction here is making fun of the regulators or the companies that are pushing for greater digital openness (even if they’re doing it out of self-interest).

The Google et al. consortium is perfectly free to create open standards among themselves. The government should not be mandating that other companies follow suit, particularly when the walled garden is one of Apple's unique selling points.

Mooey

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2007
Glad EU and friends are forcing Apple to open up it's closed ecosystem which causes harms to consumers.

Hopefully I can finally be able to buy a movie on iTunes on a Chromebook / Windows soon. Absolutely annoying when I find a nice sale but don't have my Macbook.

We've already seen the dividends with the USB-C change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.