Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

overfedexed

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2014
It asks for a Verizon wireless phone number, billing zip code and the last 4 digits of the account holder's SSN. If you find a way around that, please let me know I'd LOVE to be proven wrong

One hour and 10 minutes on the phone with Apple and a Mac Pro and here is the info that I have:

First, the 1660 and 1661 iPhone 7's will work with Verizon, At&T, TMobile and Sprint.

The 1778 and 1784's WILL NOT work on Verizon and Sprint just like what's posted on their web page.

The sim-free will most likely be the 1660/1661 he said and should be available three weeks later than Sept 16th.
They may change the four-digit model number a little, but they do all of this for the carriers of course.

In my case I will be using it for my Unlimited data AT&T phone plan, but I'll give it to my wife to use on her Verizon unlimited data phone plan soon. She is still under contract until Oct 6th, so the rep said that when I receive the new phone 1661 from Apple, DO NOT turn the 7 plus on with the Verizon sim in it, because it COULD lock it to Verizon and I wouldn't be able to use it on any other carrier.
I asked the rep why would it do this. He said because tonight you will have to log in with your Verizon credentials to get the 1661 Verizon model. That is the only way to get it he said. Only TMobile doesn't require logging in out of the big four.

We shall see soon if this is correct I guess.
Good thing they have a great return policy.

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
I asked the rep why would it do this. He said because tonight you will have to log in with your Verizon credentials to get the 1661 Verizon model. That is the only way to get it he said. Only TMobile doesn't require logging in out of the big four.

Right, that's not just tonight, it's always been the case. Even if you try to buy the Verizon 6s full price right now it makes you enter in Verizon account information. The difference is that the sim free version of the 6s is available to buy.

Edit: Very little chance putting the Verizon sim in it would do any harm. If you are able to order the phone full price and get it, it won't magically re-lock as far as I know.

overfedexed

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2014
Right, that's not just tonight, it's always been the case. Even if you try to buy the Verizon 6s full price right now it makes you enter in Verizon account information. The difference is that the sim free version of the 6s is available to buy.

Edit: Very little chance putting the Verizon sim in it would do any harm. If you are able to order the phone full price and get it, it won't magically re-lock as far as I know.

Correct. The Mac rep said that there is very little chance of Verizon locking it, but it will be after Christmas before she gets the 7 Plus from me anyway, so the sim card won't go in first.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
If you remember this kind of thread, maybe you're carrying your misunderstanding of the situation with you.

I'll put it simply:

People who pay $900 now for one of the carrier-specific "unlocked" phones will be getting a LESS CAPABLE phone than people who spend the same $900 for a sim-free phone when the sim-free phones are released.

You want a less capable phone than the gal who who waits for the sim-free phones? Fine. Spend your money now.

What I'm saying is that on a feature-for-feature basis, the early adopters are getting the shaft.
Because everybody needs or cares about a sim free phone. Keep up the good work.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
So now I see what our illustrious OP was getting so distraught over. Still, the ATT phone will work in other countries, although maybe not as many? Hmm. Anyone have a world coverage chart?

The verizon model also supports China.
[doublepost=1473374405][/doublepost]
What's the difference between unlocked and sim free? I always thought if it's unlocked, I can use it on any carrier?

The SIM Free version doesn't include a SIM. Or the requirement to pay "upgrade" charges with your carrier. You just buy it, move your SIM over, and you are set. (Maybe Sprint requires a call?). The Verizon model is GSM unlocked, but you have to be a current Verizon post paid customer to buy.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I don't know why I have to explain this. I provided a link. Go read it.

Here's the short version: You buy an "unlocked" AT&T or T-Mobile phone at $900. Can you use it with Verizon? No! "But I thought it was unlocked," you say. "Carrier-unlocked, yeah," I say. "But it's not a phone you can use on any network."

Same goes for the Verizon "unlocked" model. Want to use it with T-Mobile? "Sorry, buddy."

There's even more to this story. You can read it yourself.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-7-iphone-7-plus

Check out the "sim-free" iPhone 6s models for comparison. Those are the ones that are truly "unlocked" as some of your are understanding this term. Those are the ones that work on every network, everywhere.

If you want that capability (and why not--you're paying big bucks for an unlocked phone), you gotta wait for the SIM-FREE iPhone 7.

It's a travesty. Should be illegal what they're doing.
I see you are one those guys. So If the CDMA phone will work on Cricket and MetroPCS do you think that they will work on the their parent companies network since they are the same?? The 6S and plus sim free was the AT&T model, which had Band 30, looks like this time the CDMA will be the sim free model if they sell one, both have all LTE bands. Or as in the past, Apple will correct the specs page.

Last edited:

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
It seems the attractiveness of the SIM-free version is for resellers who just want to turn it for profit. I mean, most people are buying the phone to use it on at lease one carrier...

It is just less troublesome for people who already have good service. And maybe want to avoid an upgrade fee by the carrier.

Someone on Straight Talk, for instance, can buy the SIM free model. Buying the ATT model full price may be unlocked, but right now you need ATT service to buy it.
[doublepost=1473374785][/doublepost]
I see you one those guys. So If the CDMA phone will work on Cricket and MetroPCS do you think that they will work on the their parent companies network since they are the same?? The 6S and plus sim free was the AT&T model, looks like this time the CDMA will be the sim free model if they sell one.

MetroPCS is T-Mobile, so a T-Mobile phone will work on it. But since prepaid companies don't normally sell the latest flagship phones at launch, you have to either buy a compatible one, or the SIM free model. Cricket is GSM, ATT network.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Very confusing thread. IF I were to wait for one of these so-called "sim free" phones, I'm don't know how it would work outside the US. How would it know how to connect if I signed up for a limited phone/data plan while in New Zealand? I always thought it was a simple matter if I had an unlocked phone to pop out my ATT sim, pop in a local sim and I was good to go.

I don't give a hoot about taking my unlocked ATT phone and cancelling that service to switch to Verizon. Is this what this whole RANT is about?
Sim free has more radios inside it for worldwide service!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Sim free has more radios inside it for worldwide service!
And it's usually one of the carrier models, like it will likely be the Verizon/Sprint model (or perhaps another one) in case of iPhone 7.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Is it my imagination that this pre-order is more fraught with potential confusion, etc than in previous years.

Geezus Louise!

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
One hour and 10 minutes on the phone with Apple and a Mac Pro and here is the info that I have:

First, the 1660 and 1661 iPhone 7's will work with Verizon, At&T, TMobile and Sprint.

The 1778 and 1784's WILL NOT work on Verizon and Sprint just like what's posted on their web page.

The sim-free will most likely be the 1660/1661 he said and should be available three weeks later than Sept 16th.
They may change the four-digit model number a little, but they do all of this for the carriers of course.

In my case I will be using it for my Unlimited data AT&T phone plan, but I'll give it to my wife to use on her Verizon unlimited data phone plan soon. She is still under contract until Oct 6th, so the rep said that when I receive the new phone 1661 from Apple, DO NOT turn the 7 plus on with the Verizon sim in it, because it COULD lock it to Verizon and I wouldn't be able to use it on any other carrier.

Going on Apple.com right now, I can pick the verizon model and get to the last page where I choose "pay full price" and it never asks for credentials. I have now favorited this model. When pre orders open, will it stop me and ask for verizon credentials, for sure 100%?

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
Going on Apple.com right now, I can pick the verizon model and get to the last page where I choose "pay full price" and it never asks for credentials. I have now favorited this model. When pre orders open, will it stop me and ask for verizon credentials, for sure 100%?

Yes, for sure. Do the same thing with the 6s and the next screen you have to enter in account info

krizko

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
well ****, how in the hell do I buy a vzw version??

In the same boat here, would prefer this version but from what I have been able to find it looks like you will need a current account to buy anything other than an 'Unlocked' T-Mobile phone.

overfedexed

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2014

Yes and it will also ask for your billing password too, after the cell number, zip and last four of the SSN is entered. That is if you have one on the account like me.

I almost forgot it. Good thing that I did a dry run earlier.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Patience is a virtue. Just get the sim free model. This will give you a chance to see some good reviews and evaluate if you really want the iPhone 7 or not.

And to hell with going to the Apple store near launch, waiting in lines, fighting crowds, making decisions based on stock, etc etc.

Toward the end of Oct maybe sooner I can casually walk into an Apple store and pick up the exact model I want. Usually the walk from the parking garage to the Apple store itself takes me longer then actually buying the phone.

Reactions: Hal~9000

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
Yes and it will also ask for your billing password too, after the cell number, zip and last four of the SSN is entered. That is if you have one on the account like me.

I almost forgot it. Good thing that I did a dry run earlier.
When? I tried with a 6s plus and it didn't ask for a password, only a 6 digit code that they text to me to connect to my ATT account?

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Is it my imagination that this pre-order is more fraught with potential confusion, etc than in previous years.

Geezus Louise!
No, people get all bent out of shape about these kind of issues every year. Go back and read all the forum threads prior to previous iPhone launches.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Patience is a virtue. Just get the sim free model. This will give you a chance to see some good reviews and evaluate if you really want the iPhone 7 or not.

And to hell with going to the Apple store near launch, waiting in lines, fighting crowds, making decisions based on stock, etc etc.

Toward the end of Oct maybe sooner I can casually walk into an Apple store and pick up the exact model I want. Usually the walk from the parking garage to the Apple store itself takes me longer then actually buying the phone.
Problem is I cannot. No Apple Stores where I live and I am travelling to the US now. So I won't be able to buy the iPhone 7 just because Apple doesn't want to sell the SIM-free version at launch...

gurase

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015

This was exactly my philosophy last year for the 6S. I have no need for a launch day phone. Also I never understood making decisions based on stock. Why compromise when spending that much money?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
No, people get all bent out of shape about these kind of issues every year. Go back and read all the forum threads prior to previous iPhone launches.

Granted, I paid less attention to this stuff prior to my getting the 6s last Sept...but it really seems like this year - you have so many questions from the 6 owners about the carrier plans in the absense of subsidized phones to the confusion about AT&T and TMobile phones not supporting CDMA carriers, and so on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.