Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aces99

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
You are just wrong. This is NOT the case. Get the Verizon/Sprint one and you are good to go with all US Carriers and ALL GSM carriers that are listed for the GSM model, as they support the same LTE bands. Only difference is that the GSM model does not support CDMA, but the CDMA model does support GSM.
Only thing here that's crippled is your brain...
If the CDMA phones support both CDMA & GSM then should s person just get a CDMA phone or is there a downside to getting CDMA phones?

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
If the CDMA phones support both CDMA & GSM then would it be best to get a CDMA phone or is there a downside to getting CDMA phones?
If you're on a GSM carrier, Apple won't let you buy a full price CDMA version.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
If the CDMA phones support both CDMA & GSM then should s person just get a CDMA phone or is there a downside to getting CDMA phones?

You need to read the last 2-3 pages...

But it seems the TMobile version doesn't have any restrictions?

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
From the horses mouth:

http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

Are there differences between an iPhone for AT&T or T-Mobile and an iPhone for Sprint or Verizon Wireless?

iPhone offers the same innovative features regardless of the wireless carrier you choose. If you choose AT&T or T-Mobile as your wireless carrier, your iPhone will use 3G cellular technology for voice services and either 3G or 4G LTE cellular technology for data services. iPhone can roam internationally on many GSM carriers around the world. If you buy iPhone with AT&T or T-Mobile, it will not work on Sprint or Verizon Wireless.

If you choose Sprint or Verizon Wireless as your wireless carrier, your iPhone will use CDMA cellular technology for voice and data services. If you buy an unlocked iPhone with Verizon or Sprint, it will work on AT&T or T-Mobile. An iPhone activated on Sprint or Verizon Wireless also has the ability to roam internationally on GSM networks. For details on LTE network support, please see www.apple.com/iphone/LTE.

Right now armed with this information making it very clear, the only issue for consumers is;

If you want the Verizon phone to be able to use on all networks, how do you pre-order it online without being a current Verizon customer?

They ask for;
1) phone number
2) last 4 social
3) billing zipcode
4) next stage, billing password?

What the hell, Apple is making it pretty difficult...

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
Right now armed with this information making it very clear, the only issue for consumers is;

If you want the Verizon phone to be able to use on all networks, how do you pre-order it online without being a current Verizon customer?

They ask for;
1) phone number
2) last 4 social
3) billing zipcode

AFAIK, you can't. I am wishing I could buy this version.

westcoastcyc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012

They ask for;
1) phone number
2) last 4 social
3) billing zipcode

You will need to wait until the SIM FREE version comes out in the future.

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
You will need to wait until the SIM FREE version comes out in the future.

Hey guys, just got off the phone with Apple rep and if you want the Verizon phone, you or somebody you know will need to be able to enter that verizon information. That is your only barrier. A ****** barrier to put up but if you want the phone, just accept the reality and start preparing your information for pre-order.

By the way, what is a "verizon billing password"?

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Hey guys, just got off the phone with Apple rep and if you want the Verizon phone, you or somebody you know will need to be able to enter that verizon information. That is your only barrier. A ****** barrier to put up but if you want the phone, just accept the reality and start preparing your information for pre-order.

By the way, what is a "verizon billing password"?
Can you pay full price for it when you preorder?

The billing password is a 4-digit PIN you create. If you don't have one, it will prompt you to when you log in.

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
The t mobile version is still GSM locked

Yea thats fine I can accept being locked to GSM. Getting t-mobile version is my back up plan if I really can't get a Verizon phone.

Does anybody know if purchasing T-mobile iPhone 7 at full price prompts us to enter T-mobile account information?

Florida Gator

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2004
The t mobile version is still GSM locked

Not if you buy it from Apple.

As for the Verizon thing. The only thing I can think of is to go sign up for a Verizon account online for SIM only, they'll give you an account which will allow you to order the iPhone, then cancel the service within 14 days. I'm just going to wait for SIM-free, but that's an option.

krizko

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
Yea thats fine I can accept being locked to GSM. Getting t-mobile version is my back up plan if I really can't get a Verizon phone.

Does anybody know if purchasing T-mobile iPhone 7 at full price prompts us to enter T-mobile account information?

FWIW, I did this last year with the 6s Plus and did not have to enter any account information.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014

What are you gaining by getting t mobile instead of att if you're an att customer?

aces99

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
You need to read the last 2-3 pages...

But it seems the TMobile version doesn't have any restrictions?
I am not sure but that's what it seems to be from what others are saying. I am from Canada and all the carriers here use GSM but I would like to be able to use on any carrier when I travel. Last time I bought the SIM free version. I think I am just going to wait s bit for some reviews of the 7 and wait for the sim free version. I am happy with my SE. I might even wait for the next SE upgrade.

Last edited:

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA

Is buying the t-mobile unlocked iPhone 7 at full price also requiring t-mobile account information?

Pretty sure the T-Mobile "contract free" version does not require any account info and is the only one that doesn't

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
From the horses mouth:

http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

Are there differences between an iPhone for AT&T or T-Mobile and an iPhone for Sprint or Verizon Wireless?

iPhone offers the same innovative features regardless of the wireless carrier you choose. If you choose AT&T or T-Mobile as your wireless carrier, your iPhone will use 3G cellular technology for voice services and either 3G or 4G LTE cellular technology for data services. iPhone can roam internationally on many GSM carriers around the world. If you buy iPhone with AT&T or T-Mobile, it will not work on Sprint or Verizon Wireless.

If you choose Sprint or Verizon Wireless as your wireless carrier, your iPhone will use CDMA cellular technology for voice and data services. If you buy an unlocked iPhone with Verizon or Sprint, it will work on AT&T or T-Mobile. An iPhone activated on Sprint or Verizon Wireless also has the ability to roam internationally on GSM networks. For details on LTE network support, please see www.apple.com/iphone/LTE.

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
See above for information on the t mobile version

That has nothing to do with it being unlocked.

The T-Mobile version is GSM unlocked. T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM carriers in the US

The T-Mobile version lacks CDMA radios and therefore will not work on Verizon and Sprint, even if it's unlocked

The VAST majority of wireless carriers in the world use GSM, and the T-Mobile version will work just fine on just about all GSM carriers.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
That has nothing to do with it being unlocked.

The T-Mobile version is GSM unlocked. T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM carriers in the US

The T-Mobile version lacks CDMA radios and therefore will not work on Verizon and Sprint, even if it's unlocked
Exactly what I'm illustrating.

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
Exactly what I'm illustrating.

But that has nothing to do with it being locked or unlocked. If you buy the T-Mobile version full price, it will be unlocked

The term "GSM locked" means that a phone is locked to a single GSM carrier, not that it is locked to only GSM networks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.