Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlackHawk00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
I love large-screen iPhones and all the Pro models features, but this extra weight is a killer, and since Apple is definitely going to increase the battery size in iPhone 13, the overall device weight may increase further or even stay the same on Pro Max models.

I have recently played with iPhone 12, and I am highly impressed with its weight (only 164 grams); it feels so light in your hand. So, in my opinion, Apple should offer Aluminum Pro / Pro Max models in the future, and that way we can have lighter Pro models instead of carrying 228 grams slabs everywhere.

bobmans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2020
They need something external to differentiate the regular and pro models. Stainless steel is considered as a more premium material compared to aluminum.

Apple should use Titanium in the Pro models instead of stainless steel/aluminum to get rid of some of the weight caused by using stainless steel and at the same time they'd keep using more premium materials compared to aluminum.

BlackHawk00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
Uh, oh, that will bring back BendGate...

I don't think so, as this Aerospace-grade aluminum is tough as hell. If you see the Unbox Therapy video on bending, you will be surprised. It is time that we should see some lighter pro models. 😂

bobmans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2020
That my work, but the price would be even higher...
Not really, Titanimum really isn't much more expensive compared to stainless steel.
If you look at the price/kg it might seem like a large difference but you need to remember that you only need about half of the weight per phone when using Titanium compared to stainless steel.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I love large-screen iPhones and all the Pro models features, but this extra weight is a killer, and since Apple is definitely going to increase the battery size in iPhone 13, the overall device weight may increase further or even stay the same on Pro Max models.

I have recently played with iPhone 12, and I am highly impressed with its weight (only 164 grams); it feels so light in your hand. So, in my opinion, Apple should offer Aluminum Pro / Pro Max models in the future, and that way we can have lighter Pro models instead of carrying 228 grams slabs everywhere.

I had the 12 pro up until yesterday then for a 12 and gave the 12 Pro to my wife.

I’m amazed that the weight difference is significant. The 12 Pro IMO is too dang heavy. My pinky shelf was actually aching and developing a blister from the weight. Plus I could feel the strain on the 3 fingers supporting the back.

The 12 just feels so much better in the hand. Doesn’t feel too heavy even a little bit. Also ‘feels’ smaller but it isn’t.

Like I said I’m amazed with the weight even though it doesn’t seem like a lot.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
They need something external to differentiate the regular and pro models. Stainless steel is considered as a more premium material compared to aluminum.

Apple should use Titanium in the Pro models instead of stainless steel/aluminum to get rid of some of the weight caused by using stainless steel and at the same time they'd keep using more premium materials compared to aluminum.
Is it considered more premium or is actually better. I dislike that word, premium. In this case it speaks to a desire to feel worth by buying something. The different metals are merely a different set of compromises. For example, on “premium” bikes stainless would be vastly inferior.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
Technically the regular iphone 12 is kind of like the ‘Air’ model in the line up, the mid range offering that the Air line has now become, but i know what you mean maybe a tier in between the regular and pro models.

Or maybe they could do what they do with Apple Watch: same features but a choice of body materials. On the Watch, I prefer the stainless and the extra weight makes it feel more like premium jewelry, but my iPhone X feels heavy when I put it in my gym shorts, so I’m looking forward to getting the aluminum mini.

Reactions: 5105973 and bobby68

BlackHawk00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
Agreed OP. I was thinking the same thing this week. I went from the 12 to the 12p and the weight is noticeable. It’s not unbearable, but lighter would be preferred. Idc about the stainless steel. Actually prefer the look of that brushed aluminum.
Yea, I would happily give up freaking fingerprint magnet stainless-steel for lighter material (Aluminum or whatever) and save my pinky for years to come. 😂

BlackHawk00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
I had the 12 pro up until yesterday then for a 12 and gave the 12 Pro to my wife.

I’m amazed that the weight difference is significant. The 12 Pro IMO is too dang heavy. My pinky shelf was actually aching and developing a blister from the weight. Plus I could feel the strain on the 3 fingers supporting the back.

The 12 just feels so much better in the hand. Doesn’t feel too heavy even a little bit. Also ‘feels’ smaller but it isn’t.

Like I said I’m amazed with the weight even though it doesn’t seem like a lot.

I have recently returned my 12 Pro and ordered 12 Pro Max for next Friday delivery, but now I am in serious limbo after using the regular 12. I know I would love the juicy 6'7" display, but weight wise I am a bit turned-off and may end up settling down on a 128GB regular iPhone 12.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
That my work, but the price would be even higher...
I think this is exactly why we are not seeing titanium being used on the pro models.

Look at the carefully calibrated pricing ladder for the 2020 iPhones:

Nearly all the way up from the SE to the regular Pro, an extra $99 gets you a better model.

I suspect that using titanium would push the regular 12 pro over $999.

I wonder though, if we might see the use of titanium on the Pro Max?

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Titanium is relatively hard to work with unfortunately compared to aluminium and steel.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I have recently returned my 12 Pro and ordered 12 Pro Max for next Friday delivery, but now I am in serious limbo after using the regular 12. I know I would love the juicy 6'7" display, but weight wise I am a bit turned-off and may end up settling down on a 128GB regular iPhone 12.

I didn’t think I would go 12 from 12 Pro because I want the latest and greatest. When I handled the 12 in the store I noticed the weight right away and after playing with the 12 for a bit I was still apprehensive.

My wife needed a new phone and she’s not picky so I ordered the 12. I switched SIM’s and gave her the 12 Pro and took the 12 figuring maybe I would switch back the the Pro because I want the latest and greatest.

When I was using the Pro my pinky shelf ached and the Pro felt too heavy even with my 3 fingers supporting the back which is most of the time. So I found myself holding the phone more straight up putting more weight on my pinky shelf. I started to actually get a blister on my pinky.

Believe it or not and I still can’t is the weight difference for me is significant. The 12 doesn’t feel too heavy and not as much weight on my pinky. It’s very noticeable to me. Others have said they don’t feel a difference but I do and so does my pinky shelf and fingers.

Now I have the 12 and my wife has the Pro and I’m extremely more comfortable with the 12.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.