Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
I really wish they would get the weight down on the Max phone. I want a bigger phone next time but the current weight of the 12 Pro Max is too heavy for a phone that size so I won't consider it.

I wonder if apple would ever consider a 13 Max along with a 13 Pro Max (like they did with the 12 and 12 Pro this year).

Reactions: calstanford

mg51015bb

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2017
I’ve given used to the 12 pro weight but agree that it’d be nice to have a lighter option. Ergonomically the 12 pro is chunky and not the easiest to handle.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
That extra weight is perfect for building velocity as it falls. Every time my phone hits the floor it sounds like a brick. And the floor is carpeted. All but one pair of my pajama pants are big enough for my phone. Its very annoying.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I would get older losing stainless steel if it were a lighter pro max. Good suggestions.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s because nobody can afford gold anymore.

I have an $11 Casio with a brushed stainless steel band. Lots of cheap things are made of SS, and nobody ever tried to fool me into thinking it was premium before until the last 3-4 years. “Surgical grade” or whatever doesn’t matter at all in this application. Nobody cares if it’s AISI 316L, or can be inserted into the human body if sterilized.

Secondly, the aluminium in the regular 12 (7000 series? 8000 series?) may actually be more expensive than the steel used in the Pro models.
If people here realised how close the raw material and processing costs actually were for these materials, they’d be shocked. The aluminium 7075 grade is every bit as premium as surgical grade SS, but clever marketing has convinced people it’s not. This amuses me to be honest lol.

PeterG727

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2020
I don't understand the craze over aluminium or steel. Most people put cases on their phones anyway and forget about it.

Reactions: SBruv

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
Totally agree. I’d like to see the glass back eliminated. It would reduce weight and increase durability. I believe they switched to glass back when they introduced wireless charging. I wonder if they could wireless charge through metal. I’d gladly sacrifice any premium feel if it increased durability.

Ah yes, the glass back is indeed also to blame for the higher weight! Now that Apple went all-in on wireless charging via Magsafe, we‘ll never get rid of that either.

Glass back and (brushed) steel sides were fine on the iPhone 4 because the phone itself was so tiny that the weight was still OK (and it made that thing feel very solid). I remember how the aluminium iPhone 5, although larger, felt shockingly light in comparison.

I wish Apple could give us a choice; I would absolutely choose the „Pro“ tech in an aluminium body. I don‘t charge wirelessly anyway. Better still, I would choose the „Pro“ tech in an even lighter polycarbonate body. Man, the iPhone 5C felt just great in the hand.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
That extra weight is perfect for building velocity as it falls. Every time my phone hits the floor it sounds like a brick. And the floor is carpeted. All but one pair of my pajama pants are big enough for my phone. Its very annoying.
Not to be a stickler, but the weight difference is irrelevant to velocity, both an aluminum and steel phone will hit ground at same time and same velocity. Given the same form-factor, air resistance will be irrelevant at the distances we are talking about. Weight WILL play a factor in impact force F=M*A.

Reactions: bobby68

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Weight isn't an issue for me, but the shiny stainless steel should have been a brushed / matte finish. However as others said I am going to put a case on it anyway.

My X has several nicks in it from dust getting trapped in it over the years. I did my best to clean it often but its bound to happen. I feel like a brushed / matte finish would have mitigated that.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I feel like the weirdo here as I prefer my devices heavier. They feel more premium to me. Less likely to break in the event of a fall (Just my feelings). As someone who had a bent 6, this thin and light craze isn't for me.

Edit: Also not really a fan of super shiny edges. Definitely don't like squared phones either.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I feel like the weirdo here as I prefer my devices heavier. They feel more premium to me. Less likely to break in the event of a fall (Just my feelings). As someone who had a bent 6, this thin and light craze isn't for me.

Edit: Also not really a fan of super shiny edges. Definitely don't like squared phones either.

The weight doesn’t have any effect on the chances of a phone bending and I think Apple have a valuable design lesson with the iPhone 6 all those years ago. The design is much more structurally efficient and they now use higher grade aluminium.

Reactions: bobby68

BlackHawk00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
It's not that heavy. And it seriously won't kill you to heft something slightly heavier.

I agree, and that’s why I am trying to debate myself against it, and I have ordered a 12 Pro Max

As a Pro Max/Plus user for years, I wouldn’t have this thought if I never tried a regular 12 and realize how lightweight that thing feels in your hand.

All I am hoping is that Apple does make lighter Pro/Pro Max in years to come.

Richardlench

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016
“Extra weight”. Jeez, it’s an extra 30g or so. Ignoring the fact that a sizeable part of that is probably the extra camera lens and related hardware, how much do you actually think could be saved by switching the frame to another material? 10g?

Kent viggo

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2019
Sweden
I agree, but mostly for the aesthetic part. Those who actually like these tacky stainless sides on the 12 pro must surely be suffering from the Stockholm syndrome.

«Yes Apple, stainless steel, looks great I want that, ohh no worries tehe-he I can just wipe the sides of fingerprints every other minute, ohh no I don’t mind the extra weight it’s just so solid now tehe-heeeeee-he love u appleeee love u Tim Cook namaste”

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Many reviewers do seem to be saying the the 12PM is a bit too big and heavy.

Perhaps next year, if the camera systems improve massively and screens have pro-motion, it’ll be time to use titanium instead of steel.

They’ll be a price increase for sure but I’m not sure if it’ll matter to people who are going to buy the Pro models.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
It’s weird. I didn’t know how “heavy” my XR was until I read the complaints on MR about the weight of the 12 Pro.

Checked out the spec sheets. Turns out my XR is heavier than this oh so heavy 12 Pro. ??‍♂️
Wow you’re right! That’s so funny. Sounds like loads of the reviewers never used the humble XR or 11 for any length of time then. Titanium would still be great though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.