Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cybertox

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Switzerland
I am actually quite surprised by how heavier the higher end iPhone models have gotten over the past two years. When I held up my colleagues iPhone 11 Pro Max for the first time, the first thing I have realized is how much heavier it is compared to my iPhone Xs Max.

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
A major reason that Apple is the biggest company in the world is because they are geniuses at marketing.

Somehow we have all been persuaded that stainless steel is better than aluminium. (In much the same way De Beers persuaded us that diamonds are better than any other gem stone and that all men must buy diamond rings for their fiancees.)

This is simply nonsense. You may make the arbitrary choice that you think that stainless steel looks better than aluminium but (a) that is an arbitrary choice and (b) you were probably trained into making it by marketers rather than because it would be your preference had billions of advertising dollars not been spent to make you think that way.

The iPhone 12 feels weirdly light to me. It's an incredible achievement. The look — I have the dark blue — is stylish and stealthy. It does better in drop tests than the 12 Pro because (a) it's lighter and (b) aluminium is a better shock absorber.

Worrying about the materials and even the colour of your iPhone is dumb for a number of reasons. First, after the initial joy, you never really notice it ever again. Second, so many people put their phones in cases and then you never see the damn stainless steel ever again anyway.

Form (and material) should follow function. The difference in weight between the Pro and the regular does make a difference. It can cause your fingers to ache. And going to the gym is not going to help that unless you do some kind of weird finger workout.

The iPhone 12 is an outstanding device. I kinda wish it had three cameras rather than two, but the extra cost wasn't worth it for me. And the 12 looks great. The 12 Pro looks great, too. But not enough to make me want to spend another £150 (128GB).

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
On the one hand, it‘s great that the „regular“ iPhones get almost all the best new tech. On the other hand, it‘s a shame that this leads to Apple differentiating the „pro“ models mainly by two things (cameras and steel vs. aluminium), one of which I really want and one of which I really don‘t.

Alas, I don‘t see another lighter, but still „premium“ material Apple could use instead of steel. They could just use aluminium and polish the heck out of it (think Jet Black iPhone 7) to differentiate visually, but they probably won‘t.

Cybertox

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Switzerland
I believe the problem this year is that there is too little differentiation between the iPhone 12 models and the iPhone 12 Pro models.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
On the one hand, it‘s great that the „regular“ iPhones get almost all the best new tech. On the other hand, it‘s a shame that this leads to Apple differentiating the „pro“ models mainly by two things (cameras and steel vs. aluminium), one of which I really want and one of which I really don‘t.

Alas, I don‘t see another lighter, but still „premium“ material Apple could use instead of steel. They could just use aluminium and polish the heck out of it (think Jet Black iPhone 7) to differentiate visually, but they probably won‘t.

For average Joe’s like myself the 12 camera is a great camera. All I want a camera to do when I want to take a pic take it out of my pocket and snap and done.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015

Your point makes me think about how the Ives‘ Apple Watch design DNA that influenced the iPhone X is going to be there until, ironically, the design team begins to seek lighter again, for which Ive’s Apple was criticized.

Thinner and lighter. No, thinner and heavier.

KEEPER: What is your favorite color?

GALAHAD: Blue. No yel-- Auuuuuuuugh!

Last edited:
Reactions: the future

Apple TarHeel

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
I love large-screen iPhones and all the Pro models features, but this extra weight is a killer, and since Apple is definitely going to increase the battery size in iPhone 13, the overall device weight may increase further or even stay the same on Pro Max models.

I have recently played with iPhone 12, and I am highly impressed with its weight (only 164 grams); it feels so light in your hand. So, in my opinion, Apple should offer Aluminum Pro / Pro Max models in the future, and that way we can have lighter Pro models instead of carrying 228 grams slabs everywher
I love large-screen iPhones and all the Pro models features, but this extra weight is a killer, and since Apple is definitely going to increase the battery size in iPhone 13, the overall device weight may increase further or even stay the same on Pro Max models.

I have recently played with iPhone 12, and I am highly impressed with its weight (only 164 grams); it feels so light in your hand. So, in my opinion, Apple should offer Aluminum Pro / Pro Max models in the future, and that way we can have lighter Pro models instead of carrying 228 grams slabs everywhere.
I won’t be disrespectful to you as a lot of keyboard warriors seem to do these days, but this subject matter is based on 100% opinion ... and we all know what people say about opinions ... I am a bigger guy and my eyesight is not the like it was when I was younger so I appreciate larger displays ... get what’s best for you .. that is why most manufacturers make multiple display sizes .. the extra weight to me is negligible ... enjoy whatever makes you ultimately happy friend!

BlackHawk00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
I won’t be disrespectful to you as a lot of keyboard warriors seem to do these days, but this subject matter is based on 100% opinion ... and we all know what people say about opinions ... I am a bigger guy and my eyesight is not the like it was when I was younger so I appreciate larger displays ... get what’s best for you .. that is why most manufacturers make multiple display sizes .. the extra weight to me is negligible ... enjoy whatever makes you ultimately happy friend!

I think you are missing the point here. I understand that everyone has different needs; that’s why all these different screen sizes and specs are available, starting from $399 to $1,099.

But my point is that the high-end iPhones (Pro and Pro Max) need to be lightweight as the direction they are heading is causing inconvenience weight wise to many ppl.

Reactions: bobby68 and 5105973

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I’d be all over a aluminum pro max, deep navy frosted back, navy blue matte aluminum frame. ?????????

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Is stainless steel ‘premium’ to many of you here because Apple and the tech industry has marketed it to you as premium?

I often see posters telling others that the iPhone Pro phones are premium because they have more premium materials. I’ve never found anybody capable of explaining to me why they perceive stainless steel as being premium though?

Reactions: bobby68

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
No, but it is hell to work with, it doesn’t give a nice finish, it wears trough machining-tools and when it becomes to hot it gets discolored.

Apple doesn't seem to have a problem using it in their premium apple watches ;)

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Honestly I don't agree. The SS provides more grip. I would be open to titanium as it provides more protection than aluminum and weighs less than SS.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It’s because nobody can afford gold anymore. 😂

I have an $11 Casio with a brushed stainless steel band. Lots of cheap things are made of SS, and nobody ever tried to fool me into thinking it was premium before until the last 3-4 years. “Surgical grade” or whatever doesn’t matter at all in this application. Nobody cares if it’s AISI 316L, or can be inserted into the human body if sterilized. 🤣

Secondly, the aluminium in the regular 12 (7000 series? 8000 series?) may actually be more expensive than the steel used in the Pro models.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA

I have recently played with iPhone 12, and I am highly impressed with its weight (only 164 grams); it feels so light in your hand. So, in my opinion, Apple should offer Aluminum Pro / Pro Max models in the future, and that way we can have lighter Pro models instead of carrying 228 grams slabs everywhere.
Your fingers need to go to the gym!?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
If a phone seems heavy for you, I suggest you need to spend some time doing home workouts or in the gym
That won’t help. I am pretty strong, do work out with weights, and can say it has nothing to do with strength. For me the added weight of the Pro caused extreme pain more from nerve and joint pain. It wasn’t just the added weight of the 12 Pro but the weight distribution. The 12 Pro was top heavy.

I loved the Pro features and surely can afford a “premium” phone. But I could not deal with the weight so I’m on the iPhone 12. I do miss the 2x camera but that probably contributed to some of the top heaviness that bothered my hand.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
If I need anything larger than my 12 Pro, I reach for my iPad Pro or Macbook Pros or Mac Mini with 27" display......

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
It’s a heavy phone and you can’t dispute that. I would be all for a lighter pro Max but I wouldn’t pay more for it.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
I .. gave the 12 Pro to my wife.

I’m amazed that the weight difference is significant. The 12 Pro IMO is too dang heavy. My pinky shelf was actually aching and developing a blister from the weight. Plus I could feel the strain on the 3 fingers supporting the back.
And your wife's pinky is giving an evil eye at you.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Dayton
Totally agree. I’d like to see the glass back eliminated. It would reduce weight and increase durability. I believe they switched to glass back when they introduced wireless charging. I wonder if they could wireless charge through metal. I’d gladly sacrifice any premium feel if it increased durability.

Reactions: bobby68
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.