Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
They need something external to differentiate the regular and pro models. Stainless steel is considered as a more premium material compared to aluminum.

Apple should use Titanium in the Pro models instead of stainless steel/aluminum to get rid of some of the weight caused by using stainless steel and at the same time they'd keep using more premium materials compared to aluminum.
The aluminium Apple use is a premium material. It’s not some coke can spec lol. It’s 7075 series and is as premium as titanium all day long.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Not really, Titanimum really isn't much more expensive compared to stainless steel.
If you look at the price/kg it might seem like a large difference but you need to remember that you only need about half of the weight per phone when using Titanium compared to stainless steel.
No, but it is hell to work with, it doesn’t give a nice finish, it wears trough machining-tools and when it becomes to hot it gets discolored.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I have recently returned my 12 Pro and ordered 12 Pro Max for next Friday delivery, but now I am in serious limbo after using the regular 12. I know I would love the juicy 6'7" display, but weight wise I am a bit turned-off and may end up settling down on a 128GB regular iPhone 12.
Why does it matter that much, it’s just half a snickers bar, hell even a sandwich is heavier.

Cursayer

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
I genuinely prefer aluminum on the sides, even if it's less "premium" and less durable. The stainless steel on the Pro phones is a fingerprint magnet and gets so ugly, so quickly.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I genuinely prefer aluminum on the sides, even if it's less "premium" and less durable. The stainless steel on the Pro phones is a fingerprint magnet and gets so ugly, so quickly.

On the same note the glossy back of the 12 is a fingerprint magnet and gets so ugly so quickly.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
All this talk about excess weight....give it 9-10 months or so and you will get used to it.

BlackHawk00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
Why does it matter that much, it’s just half a snickers bar, hell even a sandwich is heavier.

In theory, yes, but when you use a heavier model for a prolonged period, it does make a difference.

I have always been a Plus/Max user, but with time the weight of these devices has increased significantly due to battery improvements and steel frame, etc.

And now, I’m kind of done with heavy phones and really on edge to go light.

Reactions: bobby68

cereed09

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
This is crazy to me. The weight is noticeable but I’m not going to argue the point with my “pinky shelf” hurting or that it might “wear out my pants more”. I doubt the multiple gram difference is going to substantially wear out your clothes more, come on.
I prefer the stainless simply for the added drop protection. It’s less likely to warp or bend versus Aluminum—and while I rarely drop my phone it’s still nicer to have versus a feather of a phone.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
I said these threads were coming and here they are. The gym does nothing for your literal hand holding up a slab of metal all day.

lots of returned 12 Max are coming, believe me. And tons more of these threads.

BlackHawk00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
I said these threads were coming and here they are. The gym does nothing for your literal hand holding up a slab of metal all day.

Good to see that ppl actually seeing a point here.

I didn’t have the comparison until I used the regular 12, and it’s a day and night difference weight wise

Reactions: 5105973

trife

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2012
If you’re already a Max user I highly doubt you’ll notice too much of a difference with the 12 Pro Max. Yes it’s bigger and heavier, but not by that much.

That said, I wouldn’t be mad at having a lighter phone. And I certainly wouldn’t mind getting rid of the shiny stainless steel—the stealthiness of aluminum is more my speed. But giving up that screen real estate to get those 2 things isn’t an option I’d consider.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011

This is absolute definition of a first world problem. Apple has 4 iPhones to choose from, if you get the biggest one then they assume you're good with the size and weight, all which are listed on their website.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
... wear out your clothes more, come on.

Haha, I mentioned clothes, but I was thinking about how I prefer a phone that won’t accidentally pull down my “lazy pants” if I forget to tighten the drawstring.
I prefer the stainless simply for the added drop protection.
I agree with this, but ironically, I don’t think I would ever drop my X because it’s too heavy (pinky shelf) and slightly too large to comfortably use with one hand, lol.

... it’s still nicer to have versus a feather of a phone.
Funny, I remember when the 6 came out and they felt so light that people were accidentally flicking them out of hand or off the table.

BlackHawk00

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2017
If you’re already a Max user I highly doubt you’ll notice too much of a difference with the 12 Pro Max. Yes it’s bigger and heavier, but not by that much.

That said, I wouldn’t be mad at having a lighter phone. And I certainly wouldn’t mind getting rid of the shiny stainless steel—the stealthiness of aluminum is more my speed. But giving up that screen real estate to get those 2 things isn’t an option I’d consider.

Yes, stealthiness of Aluminum and matte finish back glass would be a lovely combo, along with 6.7” real estate.

The aluminum used in this generation of iPhones has proven to be very solid in all these drop tests.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
It’s weird. I didn’t know how “heavy” my XR was until I read the complaints on MR about the weight of the 12 Pro.

Checked out the spec sheets. Turns out my XR is heavier than this oh so heavy 12 Pro. ??‍♂️

Reactions: bluecoast
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.