Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple discontinued the ninth-generation iPad with a Lightning port last week, meaning that its entire iPad lineup now uses USB-C. However, the company still sells a handful of devices and accessories with Lightning for now.

lightning-connector-feature-purple.jpg

The list of products that Apple still sells with a Lightning port or connector includes some older iPhone models, the standard AirPods, the over-ear AirPods Max, the first-generation Apple Pencil, and a trio of Magic accessories for the Mac:

• iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14, iPhone 13, and iPhone SE
  • Second-generation and third-generation AirPods
  • AirPods Max
  • First-generation Apple Pencil
  • Magic Keyboard
  • Magic Mouse
  • Magic Trackpad
Apple has been gradually switching most of its products to USB-C, including the entire iPhone 15 series and the second-generation AirPods Pro last year, and AirPods Max with a USB-C port are rumored to launch later this year. Apple also discontinued the MagSafe Battery Pack and the MagSafe Duo Charger, which charge via Lightning.

Apple first introduced the Lightning port on the iPhone 5 in 2012.

Article Link: Apple Still Sells These Devices With Lightning After Discontinuing iPad 9

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Try being the only one in a family of 5 (all Apple) to switch to a phone with USB-C and you'll find out real quick how much the general public doesn't care about this and even finds it a hassle... for now at least. :)

carswell

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2023
In January, I started developing repetitive stress injury in my right hand and forearm that I assumed - correctly it turns out - was related to mouse usage. Being extremely right-handed, mousing with my left hand seemed ill advised, so I thought of getting a Magic (jeesh, do I hate that descriptor) Trackpad but balked when I saw it was still a Lightning device.

Having finally achieved "one cable to rule them all" status (well, except for the micro USB cable for powering my e-reader until I get a new one), I'm not about to go back and so opted instead for a small ambidextrous mouse that I've learned to use - clumsily but less and less so - with my left hand. Doubt I'll be opting for a MT now.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Apple is not agressively phasing this out, even when they stop selling products with Lightning ports (which they have yet to do), customers are going to take several years before they replace all of their Lightning accessories with USB-C ones.

Looking at my Apple accessories (iPhone, Magic Mouse and Keyboard, Airpods 3), I have nothing USB-C at all yet (ok so the iPhone and Airpods can be charged wirelessly).

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
SURELY Apple will upgrade these this autumn...hopefully with a way to finally charge the mouse while using it??
That's what I thought when iMac was refreshed with M2.

While Apple's at it, I would also love to see:
  • Magic Keyboard: backlit keys
  • Magic Trackpad: haptic feedback when scrolling and dragging (just like the new Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro)
  • Magic Mouse: Larger form factor, haptic feedback when scrolling and dragging, USB-C port on the top side

carswell

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2023
I'm surprised they haven't updated the mouse, keyboard, and trackpad to USB C. That would be not only more convenient for the user, but a good way for Apple to make some quick easy revenue.
Apple may have warehouses full of Lightning devices they want to clear out before launching the USB-C models.

• Haha
Reactions: NetMage

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
So far the only USB-C device I have is the remote that came with my third generation Apple TV 4K. I’ll probably have at least a couple more by this time next year (16 Pro and iPad mini 7).

StrangeNoises

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
The magic accessories continuing to use lightning -- especially when it should have always been USB -- is just brutal.
honestly the fact they're lightning has given me the strength I needed not to buy the black ones. i expect that strength runs out by the end of the year - maybe even after WWDC as they tend to introduce with the latest pro/studio models.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Try being the only one in a family of 5 (all Apple) to switch to a phone with USB-C and you'll find out real quick how much the general public doesn't care about this and even finds it a hassle... for now at least. :)
I’m right there with you. I went 15 so I could carry the dual usbc block for watch, iPad and phone and AirPods. And now no one else in my house can seem to find a lightning cable to save their lives 😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.