Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jason h

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2023
All of the above does not convince. I don’t see it. After reading about your medical issues, I understand you have issues. Good Luck.
it does not convince you of what? I assume you mean the geometry of the pattern. a simple proof can be done now, click on photo 4 (above) and screen shot it to your computer and print it out on paper as big as you can. now get a pair of scissors and cut out the triangle ABC. once this is cut out fold this triangle on the line segment AE. you'll find that the fold of right triangle AEC lays exactly onto right triangle AEB. this shows 'reflection' symmetry.

• Haha
Reactions: Jackbequickly

laff

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2009
I figured I would chime in - some people mentioned irritants trapped like anti-bacterial or similar that the sensor does effect. But in many cases, it is a lite form of blood clotting under the skin where the sensor sits and some people are affected by it—some more than others. Stop wearing the watch for a while and treat it appropriately.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
nobody's sueing anyone. this is about geometry, or symmetrical geometry in nature. below see photo of rash directly under watch, this is unaltered original photo, taken 48 hrs ago. second photo will be a zoom in. and third photo still more zoom in. now that were zoomed in we clearly see three areas of broken skin. lets call these point A at 630-700 o'clock as a watch face would be, point B at roughly 1030-1100 o'clock, and point C at about 300 o'clock. then the 4th and last photo rotated so point A is on top. this I zoomed in on my MAC DESKTOP and then printed as big as I could on my printer and drew these sharpie lines on the paper with a protractor and a ruler. enlarge this 4th photo and see these lines showing the geometry. we find an isosceles triangle ACB. line segments or side CA is equal to line segment or side AB. not perfectly but super close considering a crude quick drawing. then, if we take the center of line CB and call this point E (see photo) we have two almost perfect right triangles, ACE & AEB. the large circles defining points A,B and C were established with a poker chip. this is not evidence of anything. this is symmetrical geometry found in nature. like a snowflake. nature is filled with symmetrical geometry. and this is just an amazing example of it. anyone can print out these photos and try this out for themselves. sure, it happened to be located under a watch. ive worn watches for almost 50 years and ive not encountered this. and when I first saw it I was kind of shocked. but I think its simply the symmetry in nature. but one thing is clear, the geometry of this pattern, is symmetrical. I hope to follow up in months to come with outcomes and answers, im photographing this area daily, ive removed my watch to the right side. washing the watch daily, and the skin. ive seen doctors my whole life for skin issues. I do not have eczema or psoriasis but I do suffer from lichen planus.
why would anyone allow it to get to that point?

Last edited:

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
I’ve had the AWU for a few weeks now and I have the same issue. It looks like a burn. No, it can’t be bacteria because I had the series 7 and never had this issue and I clean my watch daily. Also the trail loop is more breathable than my older silicone band. It’s definitely something to do with the Ultra. I’m worried it might be radiation or the start of skin cancer. I do wear it 23 hours a day.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I’m worried it might be radiation or the start of skin cancer. I do wear it 23 hours a day.
The Apple Watch does not emit ionizing radiation. Thus it is not a radiation burn. If it was a thermal burn (from heat), the whole watch would have been very hot when you took it off — battery thermal runaway does not focus its heat on one minute area and leave the rest of the watch cool to the touch. If you feel it’s skin cancer, see your doctor right away. But skin cancer does not appear within a few hours from a previously lesion-free patch of skin.

The back of the Ultra is a different material than other models. There could very easily be something within the back casing that you’re allergic to, even if other watches caused no issues. Or it was coated in some residual solution from the factory that acted like an irritant. Theses are the most likely scenarios. It’s called contact dermatitis. Common things happen commonly. Or, when you hear hoof-beats, think about horses first, not zebras.

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
The Apple Watch does not emit ionizing radiation. Thus it is not a radiation burn. If it was a thermal burn (from heat), the whole watch would have been very hot when you took it off — battery thermal runaway does not focus its heat on one minute area and leave the rest of the watch cool to the touch. If you feel it’s skin cancer, see your doctor right away. But skin cancer does not appear within a few hours from a previously lesion-free patch of skin.

The back of the Ultra is a different material than other models. There could very easily be something within the back casing that you’re allergic to, even if other watches caused no issues. Or it was coated in some residual solution from the factory that acted like an irritant. Theses are the most likely scenarios. It’s called contact dermatitis. Common things happen commonly. Or, when you hear hoof-beats, think about horses first, not zebras.
I clean it with alcohol daily. Can’t be anything residual from the factory. It’s just odd that all these people have the same reaction to the ultra, and not the regular series.

rjw1678

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2018
Apple Watches transmit & receive RF on multiple frequencies(Cellular, WIFI, & Bluetooth) and also they your read oxygen level, temperature, ECG, & heartbeat. When a person wears an Apple Watch it touches their skin for many hours a day. Are some peoples skin more sensitive, Yes. Is the Apple Watch Ultra different enough that some people that could wear older models of the Apple Watch can not wear an Apple Watch Ultra without having skin issues, Possibility.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
It’s just odd that all these people have the same reaction to the ultra, and not the regular series.
Makes it more likely to be an allergic dermatitis from whatever the back of the Ultra is made of (it's different from the other models). But it's far from the first time someone has had trouble with a new watch that didn't have trouble with old ones. There's threads like this going back years. People saying, "my series 1 was fine but my series 4 burned me." Guess what? They changed the backing material in the meantime.

If the Ultra irritates your skin, definitely return it. But it's not from "radiation" or sensor lights or burns from heat or battery thermal runaway. It could have just been irritation from getting used to the material/texture of the back of the watch. It could be sweat and bacteria got trapped between your skin and the watch and caused a small self-limiting infection (cellulitis). Or you are allergic or have subsequently developed allergy to whatever formulation Apple is using for the ceramic in the back of the watch.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Apple Watches transmit & receive RF on multiple frequencies(Cellular, WIFI, & Bluetooth) and also they your read oxygen level, temperature, ECG, & heartbeat.
You are bathed 24/7 in far, far more exposure just living on the surface of this planet underneath that giant star and surrounded by terrestrial sources of RF and ionizing radiation for one day than you will receive in a year of wearing an Apple Watch.

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
I got the new Apple Watch Ultra on 10/4/22. It was definitely a great upgrade from my watch 6 specially the longer battery. This past Tuesday 10/11/22, I had a tingling sensation and when I took the watch off noticed a burned area on my skin. This happened on the skin that touches the inside glass where the sensors light are. I spent 2 days on the phone with Apple. Got transferred to safety department and waited 24 hours for their response... they came back saying it was a rash from the wristband and that I needed to clean the watch.

I had been wearing Apple watches since the first one and never had an experience similar to this. It has been very disappointing the way Apple handled this problem.
img_6474-jpeg.2094572
View attachment 2094576 View attachment 2094573
I believe you. And I guarantee Apple won't. I went through this exact same ordeal with Apple and not only did they outright deny that it even happened, they refused to even look at the watch, as if that would have been acknowledgement of fault.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I’ve had the AWU for a few weeks now and I have the same issue. It looks like a burn. No, it can’t be bacteria because I had the series 7 and never had this issue and I clean my watch daily. Also the trail loop is more breathable than my older silicone band. It’s definitely something to do with the Ultra. I’m worried it might be radiation or the start of skin cancer. I do wear it 23 hours a day.
Stop being worried as it is not!

PauloSera

Suspended
Oct 12, 2022
Makes it more likely to be an allergic dermatitis from whatever the back of the Ultra is made of
No. Simply, no.

One does have a major reaction that burns their skin randomly out of no where after years of contact with the same materials, and then never again after that.

Last edited by a moderator:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
One does have a major reaction that burns their skin randomly out of no where after years of contact with the same materials, and then never again after that.
Does your shoe burn your ankle with radiation when it gives you a blister? Then never again?

And Apple's account? No. But I do work with radiation and radioactive materials daily, so while I'm not claiming to be a world expert on materials science, I do have a working knowledge of what I'm talking about.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I clean it with alcohol daily. Can’t be anything residual from the factory. It’s just odd that all these people have the same reaction to the ultra, and not the regular series.
My daughter had the issue with the regular series. She had burning and tingling sensation when wearing it and turned on. Also put a red mark on her wrist where the rounded hump is. I told her to wait a few days and wear it again with the watch turned off. She had no such issues wearing the watch for a full day but off. Then the next day she wore it on again, she got the same sensation and red mark again. She ended up returning it within the 14 day window. She ended up with a Fitbit watch which didn’t bother her.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Does your shoe burn your ankle with radiation when it gives you a blister? Then never again?

And Apple's account? No. But I do work with radiation and radioactive materials daily, so while I'm not claiming to be a world expert on materials science, I do have a working knowledge of what I'm talking about.
I appreciate your posts.

Few people realize that the wifi routers we sit next to have far more "radio" noise than these tiny little devices, let alone a microwave when we turn it on. And yeah, stepping outside bathes you in far more solar radiation than many of us probably know.

I can't imagine a Fitbit and an Apple Watch having that much difference - bluetooth radios, light to try to monitor blood flow rate in the veins on the arm for heart rate, and maybe access to wifi? I haven't worn a Fitbit since the Note 3 days - I wore fitbit for a few years. In no way calling anyone out - we're all different so I don't for a second think Nhwhazup is wrong - just my thoughts. Very interesting!

I can tell you when I've had a reaction with my Apple Watch it's because some water/soap got under the watch and irritated my skin. I have to keep the underside sensor super clean or my skin gets super irritated and starts having visible and physical problems. I even have to run my fingernail around the edge of the bottom sensor because anything there causes visible irritation.

Also I've had tingling when wearing a specific band (3rd party from Amazon) that caused a nasty rash that took a week to go away - I stick to Apple bands now. Also, if I wear the watch too tight it causes tingling / pain problems.

People like to hypothesize about what they think causes things. The stories of people complaining about headaches when cellular towers were installed near them (but not turned on yet) are interesting. It can be difficult to narrow down causes.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Of course its from heat. Which is why it burned.
You do realize the only way for the watch to get hot enough to burn someone involves a runaway lithium battery which would render the device unusable, right? (Youtube - thermal runaway batteries)

Even the CPU at 100%, which makes the watch warm, is nowhere near hot enough to cause a burn.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My thoughts on if the Watch got hot enough to cause burns - you'd think the metal chassis would be the hottest point, not a glass/plastic like material under or on top of the watch. <shrug>.

How durable is the Apple Watch Ultra? - Android Authority - According to this it's a combination of sapphire crystal and ceramics (the bottom sensor portion). Interesting.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.