Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
My thoughts on if the Watch got hot enough to cause burns - you'd think the metal chassis would be the hottest point, not a glass/plastic like material under or on top of the watch. <shrug>.

How durable is the Apple Watch Ultra? - Android Authority - According to this it's a combination of sapphire crystal and ceramics (the bottom sensor portion). Interesting.
1679328394002.jpeg

Interesting info. :p (Chat GPT). I am not an expert in this area so I had to ask.

Looks like my assumption was wrong though the dissipation of heat is greater with glass - means it transfers heat more <shrug>.

Last edited:

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
I completely believe this was a burn - I have had times when taking the watch off of the apple charger using all apple products that it was too hot to put on. I don't know why people defend apple to extremes. Apple is not infallible.
Exactly, and the more we blindly excuse them the more room they have to cut corners with quality control.

• Haha
Reactions: rjw1678 and I7guy

Hoo Doo Dude

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2010
Yeah, because why would Apple want to try to develop a good reputation? Tim Cook up there in his evil lair plotting how to mess with users by burning their wrists in a sneaky plot that undoubtedly save Apple billions!

Last edited:

AstonSmith

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
UK
Makes it more likely to be an allergic dermatitis from whatever the back of the Ultra is made of ...
I agree with this. I have a non-smart mechanical watch that causes this sort of rash on my wrist. Unfortunately it's a sentimental gift so I want to keep it and wear it, but I also can't really.

I don't understand how it could be anything temperature related. For the watch to get hot enough to burn skin, surely you'd feel it happen pretty fast, and throughout the arm? Or when you put your other hand onto it? It doesn't make sense.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I completely believe this was a burn - I have had times when taking the watch off of the apple charger using all apple products that it was too hot to put on. I don't know why people defend apple to extremes. Apple is not infallible.
Because we have not experienced what you describe. The hottest I have ever felt a Watch when taken off of the charger was about the same temp as a hot bath. No where near enough to cause any kind of burn.

Last edited:

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
How tight was your band?

I’d think if the watch got that hot it would have damaged itself internally, as someone who enjoys working on cars and is around aircraft and has had their fair share of burns working around stuff, I’d expect you’d probably have ripped it off your wrist before it got to that point

My first thought would have been the high point on the back of your watch making a “hot spot” (as in rash not heat) on your wrist from rubbing

I’ve had a rash that looked just like that on long hikes when I have boots that rub the wrong way, or a backpack that’s not rigged up right, especially if it’s hot and sweaty out

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
I’ve had the AWU for a few weeks now and I have the same issue. It looks like a burn. No, it can’t be bacteria because I had the series 7 and never had this issue and I clean my watch daily. Also the trail loop is more breathable than my older silicone band. It’s definitely something to do with the Ultra. I’m worried it might be radiation or the start of skin cancer. I do wear it 23 hours a day.

No

The amount of radiation to get a burn like that, plus the tech in the watch, no

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
There are other types of burns, like chemical burns, so it's not necessarily a heat-only type source. I've no clue as to what's causing that injury on the OP's wrist, but if that happened to me, I'd wear the watch on my other wrist to see if it would elicit the same reaction.

I'm doubtful it'd be a burn, in the sense that the watch is getting hot and causing that because you'd think that'd be something you'd notice, either right away or over the course of the day- unless you had nerve damage in that particular area and couldn't sense pain/discomfort altogether or it was muted.

Edit: As Apple_Robert mentioned above, this does look like some form of contact dermatitis. A trip to an allergist would probably give some insight as to what exactly is causing that reaction. I'm not sure what the back of the AWU is made up of, but there are people who are allergic to nickel found in jewelry and other common household items:

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Apple has even published a page on potential skin sensitivities:

AWU has a ceramic back so there's a possibility there's something in there that the OP is allergic to that wasn't found in their other watches.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
That happens to me with both cloth and leather bands. Basically the sweat from your wrist invites a weird fungal thing. Kinda unpleasant. My recommendation would be to switch to a sport band. I've never had issues with those. Though, cleaning your watch bands daily is something I'd recommend in general (I got tired of doing this and, as a result, no longer wear my Apple Watch).

MNGR

Contributor
Sep 17, 2019
Looks like an irritation/allergic reaction which can blister (think poison ivy but milder)
I got a rash from one of the Apple bands. Got a refund from Apple.
No reaction from any other bands. (Apple nor 3rd party)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.