Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carrotcruncher

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2019
Apple Watch ultra here, same issues some times it looses heart rate for quite a few mins, my s7 did it and my s5, for the price of these things it’s not great, I submitted feedback on the betas but it was never acknowledged or investigated. I guess emoji’s are more important

Reactions: HMFIC03

Markakett

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2022
S8 here with the same issue, also had it on my previous S6. Yesterday I got a really weird readout while using a stationary bike. I was just casually pedalling while watching video on my iPad. I looked at my watch a few minutes in and was surprised to see 163 bpm. This screenshot is from Zones but I was using the workout app to record, this just shows the discrepancy better.
e8ccb9e331000a4bd467732ae8856869.jpg

Considering the investment they’ve made in Fitness + and related advertising you’d think they would getting it working right. What with this issue, music plays not updating, playlists not downloading properly you wonder if any Apple employees actually use these apps and devices.

2004powerbookg4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2022
How do you know tha5 5he hear5 rate shown on the AW isn’t correct ? Maybe the Garmin is wrong ?
heart rate is
Based on not one but multiple different Garmin watches. Also based on my breathing, my level of effort, and max heart rate.

sharpimage

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2018
My S7 never records HR for a complete run. It works for a while but then just stops. looking at the data in health app, the frequency of measurement drops from multiple times a minute, to once every 5 or six minutes. Tried tight, loose, left arm, right arm.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Ultra owner here - I run almost every day and days where I focus on the slower recovery-runs I focus quite a lot on the heart rate, not to exceed zone three. I have a lot of runs, where it doesn't really read my heart rate at all for the first kilometer and sometimes I have to pause the run, go into the heart rate app and put the finger on (as if you were to do an ECG) and then it snaps on - but this is very weird. To be honest I haven't focused as much on my zones before, so I don't know if my S7 did the same...

And I’ve tried very tight and higher and lower on the wrist

Attachments

• FA82372B-E791-45E0-8DE7-F1DDF1642C2F.jpeg
    FA82372B-E791-45E0-8DE7-F1DDF1642C2F.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 9FAB0ED6-E445-48A9-B6CC-E0A764E92E7C.jpeg
    9FAB0ED6-E445-48A9-B6CC-E0A764E92E7C.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 74FF61F1-BA0E-42C9-AD14-A19B9A1E9668.jpeg
    74FF61F1-BA0E-42C9-AD14-A19B9A1E9668.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 97

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Just been out on a 18K this morning and this is weird - constant pace and heart rate all the run without any pause but halfway the watch looses my HR and when it gets it back it explodes (which I can assure you it didn’t.)

Really hope it’s a long sleeve shirt thing messing it up

Attachments

• 4D345B8F-8FD4-4874-80BE-55601A83847C.png
    4D345B8F-8FD4-4874-80BE-55601A83847C.png
    187.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 146B7EF3-8D0A-4631-BD2C-63594B84EFAC.png
    146B7EF3-8D0A-4631-BD2C-63594B84EFAC.png
    362.6 KB · Views: 117

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
I found this thread while searching to see if others had a problem with the watch getting & keeping the heart rate. I have an Ultra, which is a bit big on my wrist (I love it, though) & wondered if that kept it from getting the heart rate. It starts out with the heart rate but after about 3 minutes of warming up/jogging on the treadmill, it loses the heart rate. I then spend the next 5 minutes adjusting the band, the position, tighter, looser, until it finally starts reading again. About half of the time I have to stop to do this again after another 10 minutes, but from there, it stays ok for the rest of the hour.

Reactions: HMFIC03 and xDKP

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
Tokyo
I found this thread while searching to see if others had a problem with the watch getting & keeping the heart rate. I have an Ultra, which is a bit big on my wrist (I love it, though) & wondered if that kept it from getting the heart rate. It starts out with the heart rate but after about 3 minutes of warming up/jogging on the treadmill, it loses the heart rate. I then spend the next 5 minutes adjusting the band, the position, tighter, looser, until it finally starts reading again. About half of the time I have to stop to do this again after another 10 minutes, but from there, it stays ok for the rest of the hour.
Same here, my ultra has had issues on runs since I bought in September. If I wasn’t in stationed overseas I would have brought it into an Apple Store for replacement.

Reactions: xDKP

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I mainly use the HR monitor for trends. It does have some impossible readings at times which must just have something to do with technology. I will see my HR spike to over 120 then back to the 60s in 2 seconds or less. That would be the greatest HR recovery in the history of mankind! Also have a pacemaker set at 60 and see some readings in the low 40s. My cardiologist basically said ignore those type errors unless they do become a trend. (but I am no doctor so check with yours too!) I took mine in there and showed him some reports before I took this approach.
You can go to "Show All Data" at the bottom of the HR page and it will so you to the second when the readings were taken.

Having said that I love this thing and have a heart condition. Can't imagine living without it!!!

Last edited:

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I really hope all this is gonna get better, when the long-sleeve season comes to an end. T-shirts and no gloves and heated wrists should improve all this.

KennyKK

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2023
I hope you’re still active on this post- my Apple Watch Ultra sucks at HR tracking on runs. It gets stuck at crazy stupid levels, or it just doesn’t track anything. Awful. I’ve had an Apple Watch for 5 years previously and also have a garmin, so it’s not user error and I’ve tried tight, and loose, and shaving my wrist, and cleaning, different bands, even wearing a wrist sweatband over it, and blah blah blah. It’s awful. I’m two days out from when I got it so I think I can get the store to take it back- my frustration is beyond measure.

KennyKK

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2023
I’ve been running often with my Ultra and have started having issues similar to the rest of you, where my heart rate disappears for the first 5-10 minutes. I tightened the band and sometimes jostling the watch around on my wrist fixes the issue, but today I lost connection for almost the entire run.

It doesn’t seem to be weather dependent, because it’s worked in colder weather and has had issues in warmer weather.

Very frustrating!
This is what I get- frustrating!

Jeepin

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2023
I’ve been running often with my Ultra and have started having issues similar to the rest of you, where my heart rate disappears for the first 5-10 minutes. I tightened the band and sometimes jostling the watch around on my wrist fixes the issue, but today I lost connection for almost the entire run.

It doesn’t seem to be weather dependent, because it’s worked in colder weather and has had issues in warmer weather.

Very frustrating!

This pretty much described my experiences as well. Got my Ultra back in mid January. Everything worked great at first, then the past few weeks the HR keeps dropping during my runs. I run 3-5x a week. It picks up my HR for a while when I start my run, but within 3-4 or so minutes it's lost it, and doesn't pick it back up for another 5-10 minutes.

It seems to be getting worse though. During my 3.5mi easy run yesterday I lost my HR for almost the entire run. It would pick up my HR when I would stop, then drop again within a couple of minutes of running.

Never had this issue with my previous S4 Watch.

When my Ultra *is* reading my HR though, I believe it's pretty accurate.

Using a Nike Sport Band. Tracking runs primarily with the Apple Workouts app.

edit: after looking back through my workouts, including daily walks, my issue appears to be weather/temperature dependent. Almost all runs and walks in the 50s*F or colder seem have HR issues, while runs/walks in 60s*F and warmer don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhodinut

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
The Ultra and every stainless AW I've had has dropped my HR readings to some extent. I've always assumed it's because of the weight of the watch body, regardless of which band I've used or how tight I've worn it.

I mostly run with a Garmin but no matter which watch I use I always supplement with a HR strap –

smanchester

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2023
I've had a similar issue. After a bit of research and trial and error there are two major components to this - the main one being the size of the watch. If your wrist tends to be on the smaller or bonier side, the size of the watch is going to allow light to leak in when doing any vigorous movement ie Running or Mountain Biking. So unless its uncomfortably tight and on the meatier portion of your wrist - its less likely to work. I've had success by flipping it to the underside of my wrist and keeping it a bit tighter. Alternatilvey. you can buy a bicep band. This has proved to be as accurate as a chest monitor.

Reactions: Frankie_r

Loi84

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2022
Yesterday, mine started off at 160bpm the second I began my run (which is of course way above the actual rate), but then corrected and read accurately.
Should probably still exchange out of an abundance of caution (window closes tomorrow). Never had this with my old watches. And HR is one of the key features for me...

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Yesterday, mine started off at 160bpm the second I began my run (which is of course way above the actual rate), but then corrected and read accurately.
Should probably still exchange out of an abundance of caution (window closes tomorrow). Never had this with my old watches. And HR is one of the key features for me...
Just because it did that, that doesn't mean there is something wrong with the watch, especially doing what you described 1 time.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Wrist-based pulse optical oximeters, which is what the Apple Watch has and most fitness watches use, is not very reliable especially depending on the person's biology, activity, and skin tone. It is most reliable when the person is at rest. For people with thin wrists and who also have cold hands, it can be harder for the oximeter to read the pulse. Blood vessels at the wrist are much smaller, so pulse oximeters that you wear at the upper arm would be more reliable. Most reliable is using a non-optical heart chest strap monitor like ones made by Polar.

I've never been able to rely on the built-in pulse oximeter of the Apple Watch when I exercise (mostly running). I always use the chest strap. For me, the pulse oximeter works ok when walking except during cool to cold weather when it's harder for the Watch to detect my pulse at the wrist level (I have thin wrists and cold hands and that combined with cold weather equals even more constricted blood vessels and slower blood flow). It's just the nature of that technology and not likely the cause of a faulty device.

vanhalen26

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
Same issue for me. Figure it’s cuz my wrists are small. I just add a HR monitor for runs, or put my garmin on my other wrist. I like the apple for the more accurate gps and pace as a result and music/notifications, but the garmin for HR and running dynamics.

vanhalen26

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2018
This is funny. I have an ultra 1 and an Apple watch 9. I put the 9 on for my workouts now, it’s better at tracking my heart rate. Oh well.

Leo C

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2023
I bought my UW1 last June in China, I am now facing the same problem as most of you, but luckily my UW has lighter symptom. Apple support told me that's normal. If there is second chance I would NOT buy UW anymore.

BUT What I found from apple website regarding this problem is :
1710997458360.png

1710997354103.png

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Have this issue too with my Ultra 2. Only when doing running workouts, strangely. Cycling, strength workouts, rowing, no issues.

First few minutes completely absurdly high HR readings no matter how tight or loose I wear the watch. I seldom see the problem as 99% of my runs are with an extra HR belt.

German magazine "mac&i" (well respected magazine) reported on issues with the Ultra 1 last year:

They had four Ultra 1 watches and two of them showed faulty measurements independent who of the journalists wore which watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.