Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xmach

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2020
120Hz Mini-LED (or ideally OLED), WiFi 7, more RAM, second-gen Ultra Wideband chip, 4TB SSD option, H.266 VVC hardware decoding, Bluetooth 6, and a smaller notch, please! (In that order of importance.)

- Wi-Fi 7 is expected in the upcoming iPhones 16, so it seems quite possible that Apple might implement it as well in MacBooks (Pros and Airs)

- previous posters have commented on the possibility of more base RAM. I hope this will turn out to be true, and also hope hope for a higher maximum (both the M2 and M3 Airs max out at 24 GB).

- concerning Ultra Wideband: so far I don't think Apple has implemented it in any Mac (just iPhones, Apple Watch, HomePod... am I forgetting anything?). I'd love to see it in MacBooks but unfortunately it doesn't seem likely.

sos47

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2016
120Hz Mini-LED (or ideally OLED), WiFi 7, more RAM, second-gen Ultra Wideband chip, 4TB SSD option, H.266 VVC hardware decoding, Bluetooth 6, and a smaller notch, please! (In that order of importance.)
and a headphone jack

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Needs OLED option for those who prefer black blacks instead of silver. This kind of screen tech is becoming untenable in 2024 for on-the-go movie watchers with a keen eye. Though it should probably remain the base option for those who feel that OLED is not suitable for their needs. But Apple's gonna Apple so probably not happening before 2125.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Ill probably keep my M2 air until a redesign comes…

Battery life, screen and keyboard improvements are higher on my list than AI or extra processing power.
you will wait forever if you want a better battery life and keyboard improvements
Screen yes, probably in 2 generation we will see a better display

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Trying to protect M3 MBA sales?
The AI on M4 probably means the usual increase in GPU and neural cores, perhaps a bit more than usual. But the most interesting side effect maybe the increase base RAM from 8GB to 12GB or 16GB, as on-device LLM needs about 4GB or more to function well.
This will be spared for M5. And 2nm M6 gets the real AI capable NPU and M7 gets the RAM needed for.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
The redesign that came with the M2 is arguably worse than the M1.

Build quality feels less solid, keyboard has less travel, superior top firing speakers were removed and then they added useless rubber feat that let the machine slide about all over the place.

I couldn't care about minor chip updates, they need to make a better laptop first.

Totally agree

I have no idea why it’s being lauded as the “best ever” in reviews

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
If a lot of what Apple announces in the coming weeks requires M4, then people will regard it as an AI monster regardless and must-buy.
For this they need some killer features.
For sure there will be some hype first but maybe it will end like the Vision Pro.

O.N.Y.X

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
Vienna
I’m hoping that the AI hype train will derail in a gigantic cloud of smoke. The article is like “who needs a bump in speed or innovation if you have AI?”. :rolleyes:

Reactions: gusmula

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
All that to say the M4 MacBook Airs will stay the exactly same as the M3 MacBook Airs but have... wait for it... M4.
You are completely right.

However, if Apple makes all or the bulk of the “Apple AI” features exclusive to A18/M4 and newer, there could be very good reasons to upgrade despite very little new on the spec side.

Obviously, M1 through M3 not being able to run any AI stuff would be mostly an artificial limitation and not a real limitation.

But Apple could very well go as hard as possible on getting everyone to upgrade despite being happy with their M1-M3 Macs.

Hopefully not.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Honestly, I think they will update it as soon as they can, because if the M4 is focused on AI improvements, or maybe some exclusive features, then all the macs will be updated ASAP this fall.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
You are completely right.

However, if Apple makes all or the bulk of the “Apple AI” features exclusive to A18/M4 and newer, there could be very good reasons to upgrade despite very little new on the spec side.

Obviously, M1 through M3 not being able to run any AI stuff would be mostly an artificial limitation and not a real limitation.

But Apple could very well go as hard as possible on getting everyone to upgrade despite being happy with their M1-M3 Macs.

Hopefully not.
I think it will be a reason for apple to cut out M1 from some new macOS features. So they gain new buyers.

• Sad

DarthDon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2020
I am not a fan of AI. A computer should be a tool, not a second brain. We anyway have already too much electronic around us... Keep it f****ing simple! They could add those things to MBP - MBA is a simple tool for simple jobs.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
MacRumors - this style of stating things as absolute fact is really unlikeable.

There seems to be an increasing number of articles (this one, for example: “the MacBook Air won't get updated until 2025.”) which imply they’re based on official statements from Apple, when in reality they’re only inferred from incomplete information or speculation.

Reactions: Lioness~

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
MacRumors - this style of stating things as absolute fact is really unlikeable.

There seems to be an increasing number of articles (this one, for example: “the MacBook Air won't get updated until 2025.”) which imply they’re based on official statements from Apple, when in reality they’re only inferred from incomplete information or speculation.
The M3 just came out in March. The chance of us getting two Airs in the same year is slim to none. Even with zero announcements from Apple, thinking it will come out in 2025 is a pretty safe bet.

Reactions: Lioness~
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.