Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
I'm holding out for 0 nm.
I know you jokingly mean literally zero, but according to Intel's roadmap, we're going to be below 1 nm sooner than you think. We've seen more advancements with chip technology in the last few years than we have in the last decade. It's a cool time, honestly.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Since M2 you can get the Air with up to 24GB RAM. But if you need such an amount of ram with your workflow maybe a MBP would be better.

elliotmoore91

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2019
I’m hoping that the AI hype train will derail in a gigantic cloud of smoke. The article is like “who needs a bump in speed or innovation if you have AI?”. :rolleyes:
Sweet Jesus the AI hype train is getting ridiculous now. Every single company in existence is cramming it into their products, whether they need it or not. I wouldn't be surprised if I start seeing A.I cereal boxes on the shelves in supermarkets soon.

elliotmoore91

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2019
Since M2 you can get the Air with up to 24GB RAM. But if you need such an amount of ram with your workflow maybe a MBP would be better.
So I'm not sure how accurate activity monitor is but when I briefly tried out a 16GB m3 machine, after opening a few tabs and your typical office based applications, word, excel, zoom etc, maybe a bit of music playing in the background aswell, it was showing a total usage of 15GB.

Seems quite a lot for tasks that I would consider to be pretty basic. In this instance, maybe 24GB isnt such a bad idea?

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
So I'm not sure how accurate activity monitor is but when I briefly tried out a 16GB m3 machine, after opening a few tabs and your typical office based applications, word, excel, zoom etc, maybe a bit of music playing in the background aswell, it was showing a total usage of 15GB.

Seems quite a lot for tasks that I would consider to be pretty basic. In this instance, maybe 24GB isnt such a bad idea?
Just checked my old 2012MBP with 8GB: with numbers, safari, mail, telegram, iTunes etc it's under 5GB used. The OS will fill always the RAM as much as it can.

Reactions: Chuckeee

valentinavalerie

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2024
What I'm hoping for:
- 12-inch retina display with NO notch, just bezels like before
- least 32 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD, nothing less
- affordable price under $1000
- HDMI port

What I'm expecting:
- odd sized screen with odd resolution and of course the notch
- only 8 GB RAM as usual
- price way over $1000+
- no HDMI port

Reactions: leeuk321

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Expecting it to launch latest by June 2025 with at least 12GB base RAM

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
The M! is such a capable general home use machine I can't see myself upgrading until M5 or M6, assuming no hardware failure. Absolutely love this machine.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
The most important part is - how much RAM the base model will have, 8GB, 12GB or 16GB?
I bet 8GB. AI will run on devices with 8GB. They just switched to 8GB iPhones last year And only for thr pro models. Long time till we see 12GB I would say.

Reactions: Chuckeee

leeuk321

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
What I'm hoping for:
- 12-inch retina display with NO notch, just bezels like before
- least 32 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD, nothing less
- affordable price under $1000
- HDMI port

What I'm expecting:
- odd sized screen with odd resolution and of course the notch
- only 8 GB RAM as usual
- price way over $1000+
- no HDMI port
Came here just to say that the only thing I'm wanting out of a new MBA gen is a 12" model. Still rocking my 2017 Macbook, and I think that there would still be a healthy market for a 12" model, and I'm also a firm believer that the discontinued model didn't ever get a fair chance (bad marketing, poor product placement in a confusing lineup, more expensive than the MBA, poor keyboard, single port...). The poor thing was kicked off the plank with its hands tied and expected to swim.

I don't expect a revisited 12" to ever be back to 0.92kg, but I'd love to see a 1.1kg model, which I think would certainly be doable.

I'd also love the base model to be 16GB / 512GB, but it's Apple, so that ain't happening. I'd love it though if Apple only charged $100 for the initial 8GB -> 16GB RAM and 256GB ->512GB SSD upgrades, and I think that a lot more people would bump up their MBA if they did that. And then the next $200 bump would be more fitting, since people would be getting double the original upgrade with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.