Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
The redesign that came with the M2 is arguably worse than the M1.

Build quality feels less solid, keyboard has less travel, superior top firing speakers were removed and then they added useless rubber feat that let the machine slide about all over the place.

I couldn't care about minor chip updates, they need to make a better laptop first.

They deliberately made it look thicker than it needed to. Same with the MacBook Pro. Both made uglier on purpose. Say what you want about Ive but at least the man knew how to design stuff that actually looked nice. Sometimes I think their latest gear is styled by AI. And don't get me started on jettisoning a mostly unobtrusive iPhone notch in favour of a massive spy-slot punched right through it just to satisfy someone's idea of innovation 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
The M3 just came out in March. The chance of us getting two Airs in the same year is slim to none. Even with zero announcements from Apple, thinking it will come out in 2025 is a pretty safe bet.

I do see your point of view… but it's just poor reporting to state things as fact when they are not.

Besides, there are instances of Apple refreshing products faster than many expect (see the short interval between iPad 3 and iPad 4).

Another example is MacBook Air 15" M2 – which was released in June 2023, then updated to M3 in March 2024. So yes, not the same calendar year, but only 9 months apart…

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula and Torty

aknabi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2011
I’m hoping that the AI hype train will derail in a gigantic cloud of smoke. The article is like “who needs a bump in speed or innovation if you have AI?”. :rolleyes:
The true trifecta is "We're creating a cloud based ecosystem to connect the internet of things and people, powered by AI and LLMs to delivery social experiences in the metaverse. Our mission statement is the key driver of our $1B valuation".

Usually Apple waits for the wave to fully bake before jumping in and "doing it right", but this time feels like they're jumping into the pool a bit early... seems they need the market cap juice (buy backs aren't as efficient in creating shareholder value).

Reactions: gusmula

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Dang, so I should've waited for the M4 instead of buying the M3 😂
Nah, I'm all good with it, I'll wait for M7/8/9, depending on how often they will upnumber the MBA.
I have a desktop that will be upgraded earlier, to M6/7/8 too.
So Apple get their money from me.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Dang, so I should've waited for the M4 instead of buying the M3 😂
Nah, I'm all good with it, I'll wait for M7/8/9, depending on how often they will upnumber the MBA.
I have a desktop that will be upgraded earlier, to M6/7/8 too.
So Apple get their money from me.
I think the M4 MBPs will be released before the MBAs. So if we will see the M4 MBA in fall this year we will get the M4 MBPs in summer. Let's see what really happens and enjoy our current machine w/o AI 😁

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I think the M4 MBPs will be released before the MBAs. So if we will see the M4 MBA in fall this year we will get the M4 MBPs in summer. Let's see what really happens and enjoy our current machine w/o AI 😁
I most certainly enjoying my devices. The only thing I might upgrade to is when iPadAir gets next upgrade.
Sure, MBP will get new chips 1st, absolutely.
If Siri is at the level as it is today, it will take a while before Apple’s AI will get up to any reliable level anyway. Enjoy being testpilot for Timmy if you get onboard for that 😉

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
I shall be very happy indeed to keep my 16Gb/1Tb MBA M1 until the damned notch goes. I chose it quite deliberately over the M2 and have no regrets at all.

Reactions: gusmula

Kay_Ess

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2022
Wanna bet the display stays the same old-fashioned display and the minimum RAM gets upgraded to 12GB and an upgrade to 24GB is the smallest jump and will cost you an extra €2000?

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Wanna bet the display stays the same old-fashioned display and the minimum RAM gets upgraded to 12GB and an upgrade to 24GB is the smallest jump and will cost you an extra €2000?
Maybe for the entry MBP. I think the MBA stays with 8GB also for M4. The AI will run with 8GB cause the next iPhone will still have 8GB. And let's see what those on device AI features really bring.

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
I do see your point of view… but it's just poor reporting to state things as fact when they are not.

Besides, there are instances of Apple refreshing products faster than many expect (see the short interval between iPad 3 and iPad 4).

Another example is MacBook Air 15" M2 – which was released in June 2023, then updated to M3 in March 2024. So yes, not the same calendar year, but only 9 months apart…
You’re a little confused there and fudging with dates to try and make a point. The 13” M2 Air came out in July of 2022. They added 2 inches to the screen 11 months later with the 15”, then introduced a 13” and 15” M3 Air 9 months after that. So the M2 Air and M3 Air were technically nearly 2 years apart, just like the M1 before it in November 2020. All Apple did was add a new screen size for the Air with the 15”, so when they just announced the M3 in March, they released the 13” and 15” at the same time. Yes, “technically” they released two Airs less than a year apart, but not really. They just added a bigger screen size to the existing lineup.

• Wow
Reactions: Torty

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
You’re a little confused there and fudging with dates to try and make a point. The 13” M2 Air came out in July of 2022. They added 2 inches to the screen 11 months later with the 15”, then introduced a 13” and 15” M3 Air 9 months after that. So the M2 Air and M3 Air were technically nearly 2 years apart, just like the M1 before it in November 2020. All Apple did was add a new screen size for the Air with the 15”, so when they just announced the M3 in March, they released the 13” and 15” at the same time. Yes, “technically” they released two Airs less than a year apart, but not really. They just added a bigger screen size to the existing lineup.

Not confused 🙂
I suppose it just depends on how you view different sizes of Macs – as distinct releases or not.

Reactions: farmboy

AND411

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2021
Me, love to see a MacBook with a removable screen that uses two OS‘s. Keyboard and screen attached, Mac OS. Remove screen use iPad OS. Why, two worlds need different OS’s. Nice to have the solution in one device. Microsoft tried and failed. Apple needs to succeed.
Don't judge too early, wait for 20 May when Microsoft unveils the new Surface Pro on arm. One thing is certain: as the owner, you can upgrade the SSD yourself for a comparatively ridiculous amount compared to Apple!
Even if the new Surface devices are only at M2 level, I will seriously consider a switch.
Apple with its dirty and greedy upgrade prices for Macs can then continue to wonder why Mac sales are declining.

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
Apple with its dirty and greedy upgrade prices for Macs can then continue to wonder why Mac sales are declining.
Mac sales aren’t declining. Their market share is actually increasing, while PCs saw the worst decline in history last year. Data doesn’t lie. Your feelings towards Apple are irrelevant. You may not like some of the decisions they’ve made lately, but they’re selling millions of Macs. They sold 4.8 million Macs in the first quarter of 2024. That’s more than the first quarter of 2023.

Not confused 🙂
I suppose it just depends on how you view different sizes of Macs – as distinct releases or not.
I see things as they are. I don’t twist data to fit a narrative.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Mac sales aren’t declining. Their market share is actually increasing, while PCs saw the worst decline in history last year. Data doesn’t lie.

Interested to see your source for what you mentioned about market share (presumably based on Mac hardware sales, not OS usage?). I haven't kept track of it over the last few years.

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024

JungleNYC

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2014
I really need one of these, and I hope that Apple does the AI in a very "Apple" way. …I could imaging AI helping with a ton of things system-wise.

Sayewhat

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2007
All that to infer no noticeable change except a couple $$$ difference increases in price like usual.

mrkkbb

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
"... won't be as big of a performance improvement between M3 and M4 as there was between M2 and M3 because there's no change in node size, but we can still expect modest GPU and CPU speed boosts."

That doesn't sound promising, because my understanding is that there really was no boost between M2 and M3 either. PS I'm all about number crunching, FLOPS is the performance I care most about.

Reactions: O.N.Y.X
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.