Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The expectation is straightforward: affordability.
The iPad 10 is affordable; thats the one to get if your iPad needs are modest.
Why demand a higher price for top-tier specifications when your device runs the same applications as the cheaper alternative? The only "pro" aspect of iPad Pros lies in their internals, yet one can't utilize them professionally without a Mac! Am I alone in perceiving this absurdity?
A fully specced out M3-Max MacBook Pro runs the most of the same apps as a M1 MacBook Air. The only difference is the internals after all so why do they demand a higher price for top tier specs?
If you've shelled out $2000 for an iPad, it ought to function as a laptop replacement by then!
If you don't want to spend 2 grand on an iPad Pro because it cant replace your laptop ... don't.

Last edited:

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I often wonder what would be different if Steve was still around.
I always like how this is asked without the irony that anything that Steve did between 1998 and 2011 was guided, helped and finished with Tim as the guy actually making it happen behind-the-scenes, along with thousands of others.
Also, if Steve were still alive, he would be going on 70, who knows if he would even still work for Apple.
The expectation is straightforward: affordability. Why demand a higher price for top-tier specifications when your device runs the same applications as the cheaper alternative? The only "pro" aspect of iPad Pros lies in their internals, yet one can't utilize them professionally without a Mac! Am I alone in perceiving this absurdity? If you've shelled out $2000 for an iPad, it ought to function as a laptop replacement by then!
The $499 M2 Mac Mini runs all of the same applications as a $12,000 M2Ultra MacPro.
The $429 iPhone SE runs all of the same applications as the iPhone 15 Pro Max.
The $200 Apple Watch SE and the $800 Apple Watch Ultra… mostly do the same things.
The $99 HomePod Mini and the $300 HomePod do the same thing.
The $129 AirPods 2 and the $549 AirPods Max do the same thing.

The iPad is a line of tablets that run iPadOS and apps compatible with iPadOS. Just because there are different products at different price points doesn’t mean they have to run different operating systems, or even do different things.
Even if we go with the flawed and wrong logic that the iPad is just for media consumption… you are still getting a better experience the more money you pay.
You’re getting a much thinner and lighter tablet, a laminated display, a higher resolution display, four speakers, four microphones, more storage, a better camera, a better SOC, support for a more technologically advanced pencil accessory, more modern and efficient Wi-Fi and Bluetooth standards…
Basically, it’s an economy flight compared to a first class, you can pay for extra bells and whistles, but at the end of the day both are going to have the same result in the end.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You’re getting a much thinner and lighter tablet, a laminated display, a higher resolution display, four speakers, four microphones, more storage, a better camera, a better SOC, support for a more technologically advanced pencil accessory, more modern and efficient Wi-Fi and Bluetooth standards…
Basically, it’s an economy flight compared to a first class, you can pay for extra bells and whistles, but at the end of the day both are going to have the same result in the end.

Well, not higher resolution. All iPads except the mini are at ~264 ppi, iirc. It's just the iPad mini that has higher pixel density (326 ppi).

It does provide higher contrast and brightness though.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Before we had Smart or Magic Keyboar attachments, the iPads were perfect at what they were originally intended to do.
Apple had a keyboard attachment to go with the original iPad in 2010, so this point is moot.
Also there were iPads connected to keyboards in the education market as far back as 2011, so again, no.
Then, at that point, it's no longer Steve Jobs' original idea.
Why not?
The original iPad was thicker and heavier than the new 13 inch Pro. His original vision was something between a smart phone and a laptop, he sold a keyboard accessory with that original model, what about the 13 inch versions isn’t that original vision?
In fact with all of the bezel reduction done over the years, the new 13 inch models are pretty comparable to that original 2010 iPads with their ginormous bezels and home button.
It did in some respects to multi-tasking. But those gripes are minor
The original iPad on software version 3.2 didn’t even have any multitasking at all, so… no.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
he iPad mini (whose only serious deviation in expectation from Jobs' original mission statement with the iPad
Um… Jobs didn’t even want the iPad mini.
Guy had to be convinced by Eddie of all people before they even Greenlet the project.
And even putting that all aside for a second, if the original vision was to be *between* a smart phone and a laptop, in case you haven’t noticed smart phones have changed dramatically since that original iPad was introduced.
When the iPad was introduced, the majority of smart phones had 3.2 to 3.7 inch displays.
This year, the 16 Pro Max is supposed to be 6.9 inches.
Not only almost double the original 3.5, but only a tiny bit away from that original iPad.
The mini is great, but it’s certainly not the ultimate vision of a between device.
If you got a phone between six and 7 inches and a laptop between 14 and 16, an 8 inch iPad Mini is… way closer to one of those than the other.
The iPad that still represents that original vision is… The iPad.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
So the iPad should be affordable for many users. It seems, Apple direction on releasing iPad Pro, Magic Keyboard and stage manager plus FCP are not aligned with this iPad’s original idea.
The base model of the original iPad is $750 in today’s money.
And when it was released, that was the cheapest model. There was nothing cheaper.
Today, the 10th generation iPad, the iPad mini and the brand new iPad Air are all underneath the price of that original iPad.
In fact, you can get an iPad Air, then optionally choose to get the Pencil Pro *or* double the storage to 256 GB, you’re still $50 below the inflated value of that original iPad.
And if you maxed out that original iPad by going from 16 to 64 GB and adding cellular data, it was $829 which today is (and you may want to be sitting down for this) $1187.
Is $1187 affordable?
That’s more than a Mac mini, more than a MacBook Air, more than a $12.9 inch iPad Air with a Magic Keyboard.
That’s more than a brand new 11 inch iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil Pro.
That’s more than an iPhone 15 Pro.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Tech is suppose to get cheaper as time goes on.
It has, but it has also gotten better.
The original iPad had a one gigahertz single core processor with 256 MB of RAM, no cameras, a 1024X768 display and received two years of software support.
The iPad 10 is better in every way by leaps and bounds, and adjusted for inflation is half the price.

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
The iPad is not the only example of an Apple product whose main purpose has "drifted" over the years. The Watch was not originally marketed as being primarily a health and fitness device, but that is how it is marketed now. Likewise, the iPad is primarily marketed as a tool of artists and illustrators, which is not what it was in 2010. Obviously the iPad can do more than that, but that it is its primary selling point (just as the iPhone marketing is now 90% camera-focused. When smartphones first came out, the cameras were terrible and were far from what the presentations were mostly about). The products have all settled into their niches now and the iPad's strengths (touch/Pencil input) are central to what Apple prioritizes in its development.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
This is the exact reason i bought an Air 5 instead of another iPad i never expected the iPad to replace my laptop so instead of paying a higher cost i went with the air, it still was i feel over priced but it's an Apple product.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The iPad is not the only example of an Apple product whose main purpose has "drifted" over the years. The Watch was not originally marketed as being primarily a health and fitness device, but that is how it is marketed now. Likewise, the iPad is primarily marketed as a tool of artists and illustrators, which is not what it was in 2010. Obviously the iPad can do more than that, but that it is its primary selling point (just as the iPhone marketing is now 90% camera-focused. When smartphones first came out, the cameras were terrible and were far from what the presentations were mostly about). The products have all settled into their niches now and the iPad's strengths (touch/Pencil input) are central to what Apple prioritizes in its development.
When it comes to the Watch I think it was a case of Apple not wanting to look like they just created a more expensive FitBit. And the company was still in the app mentality so that’s why they pushed apps for it. But over time as they figured out people were mostly using it as a fitness device (and as the health/fitness related technology became better) they pivoted to pushing it as a health and fitness device.

It was Apple’s choice to create iPadOS, iPad Pro (now with M series chips) and the Magic Keyboard. They had to know that would open up a can of worms and some would want it to do more, be more laptop like.

Reactions: VisceralRealist

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
When it comes to the Watch I think it was a case of Apple not wanting to look like they just created a more expensive FitBit. And the company was still in the app mentality so that’s why they pushed apps for it. But over time as they figured out people were mostly using it as a fitness device (and as the health/fitness related technology became better) they pivoted to pushing it as a health and fitness device.

It was Apple’s choice to create iPadOS, iPad Pro (now with M series chips) and the Magic Keyboard. They had to know that would open up a can of worms and some would want it to do more, be more laptop like.
A sweet $150 keyboard another way to milk more money from people.

• Sad
Reactions: Branaghan

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I'm sick of the "it needs MacOS" nonsense. I've come to realize that it's just a smoke screen for wanting side loading. I don't want side loading. Other than that, it seems to come down to not being able to format an external drive. Whatever...
If that's all you've gotten from the people who advocate for macOS on the iPad, or at least a more flexible and powerful version of iPadOS, then you haven't been paying attention because the argument for it goes far beyond side loading.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

jozero

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
Great thread OP

I finally gave up last year, trying to wedge the ever expensive iPad and its accessories into the half assed product it is for *me*. It's not quite an MacBook, and it's not quite just a tablet. (I have friends who are illustrators who love the iPad and do all their work on it - no knock against that)

So I reset. I have a Macbook, which I've always had. And then I went a different angle with my "tablet". I went something thats built tough, relatively cheap, great for notes / reading PDFs / Integrates with read me later Pocket. I went colour Kobo with a stylus, and have to say I love it. It's like 1/3 the price of an iPad, tough as nails, super lightweight, and the battery last forever. I don't have to baby it at all because its built tough. It integrates great with MacOS file system (it's a USB drive when you plug it in), or just sync with Google Drive or Dropbox.

To me the Kobo feels way more like a tablet versus whatever half bred insanely pricey for what it is monster the iPad has become

Reactions: Isamilis

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Um… Jobs didn’t even want the iPad mini.
Guy had to be convinced by Eddie of all people before they even Greenlet the project.

The point isn't that Jobs wanted or didn't want the mini. That's actually entirely beside the point. The point is that the iPad was originally billed as an in-between device, not a device replacement. Every iPad OTHER THAN the mini advertises a keyboard attachment. Keyboard attachments are now a substantial part of the marketing of the iPad, just as much as the Apple Pencil is at this point. The iPad mini is the only iPad that isn't trying to be a laptop replacement in some form.

And even putting that all aside for a second, if the original vision was to be *between* a smart phone and a laptop, in case you haven’t noticed smart phones have changed dramatically since that original iPad was introduced.
When the iPad was introduced, the majority of smart phones had 3.2 to 3.7 inch displays.
This year, the 16 Pro Max is supposed to be 6.9 inches.
Not only almost double the original 3.5, but only a tiny bit away from that original iPad.

Having owned large phones (and yes, I've very much noticed that the phones of today are not the phones of 2010), I can safely attest that there is still a substantial difference in both screen size as well as UI between a 6.7-inch screened iPhone Max/Plus and an 8.3-inch screened iPad mini. The functional difference is also substantial.

The mini is great, but it’s certainly not the ultimate vision of a between device.

It isn't the ultimate vision of the in-between device. On that, we completely agree. However, the device that WAS that ultimate vision of an in-between device (arguably, the standard iPad and iPad Air) is now, instead being positioned as a laptop replacement.

If you got a phone between six and 7 inches and a laptop between 14 and 16, an 8 inch iPad Mini is… way closer to one of those than the other.
The iPad that still represents that original vision is… The iPad.

Yes, if we're SOLELY talking about screen sizes, the 10.9/11.1-inch size of the current standard, Air, and Pro iPads IS in between 6.7-inches and 14-inches. However, that's not the point being discussed and the fact of the matter is that screen size isn't the only element that matters. Someone is going to buy an iPad Air over a MacBook Air. Someone is going to buy an iPad Pro over a MacBook Air. That same someone could easily still buy a 16-inch MacBook Pro and not find the iPad Air/Pro redundant. But when the task is 10-13-inch computing the standard iPad, iPad Air, and iPad Pro WILL cannibalize sales of the MacBook Air, if not the lower-end 14-inch MacBook Pros as well, due to purpose overlap.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
You also get worse battery, cosmetic imperfections, and a screen with mini scratches and dings everywhere. No thanks.
100% incorrect.

In the past 12 months I have purchased two iPad Air 3 for my kids. £160 for each, not the faintest scratch or dent anywhere, 64GB, 4G, 1 year warranty and 88% battery life for both. They support affordable Apple Pencil alternatives and run Roblox without hiccups. Bargains. :cool:

Most professional reseller allow you to choose the grade of iPad and ranges from A(immaculate), B(slight signs of use), C(heavy signs of use). It’s easy to find iPads that have spent their lives in a case and screen protector.

Reactions: Isamilis

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
100% incorrect.

In the past 12 months I have purchased two iPad Air 3 for my kids. £160 for each, not the faintest scratch or dent anywhere, 64GB, 4G, 1 year warranty and 88% battery life for both. They support affordable Apple Pencil alternatives and run Roblox without hiccups. Bargains. :cool:

Most professional reseller allow you to choose the grade of iPad and ranges from A(immaculate), B(slight signs of use), C(heavy signs of use). It’s easy to find iPads that have spent their lives in a case and screen protector.
88% is horrible, and a noticeable downgrade from 100% battery.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
If that's all you've gotten from the people who advocate for macOS on the iPad, or at least a more flexible and powerful version of iPadOS, then you haven't been paying attention because the argument for it goes far beyond side loading.
If you say so... Every conversation I've seen that goes beyond vagaries eventually comes down to "it's not a computer if I can't run anything I want to on it.". They think running MacOS will make it "a computer" in that way. People don't understand what an OS is.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
They think running MacOS will make it "a computer" in that way. People don't understand what an OS is.
For the most part running MacOS is a short way of saying:

Dear Tim Cook
We want full sized apps, not scaled/dumbed down version of desktop apps. This would allow us to be as productive as possible and own just an iPad instead of juggling two devices.🙏🙏

Reactions: Arctic Moose

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
For the most part running MacOS is a short way of saying:

Dear Tim Cook
We want full sized apps, not scaled/dumbed down version of desktop apps. This would allow us to be as productive as possible and own just an iPad instead of juggling two devices.🙏🙏
That sounds like you're praying to the wrong authority. Apps are created by developers. If you want a "full sized" app, request it from the App developer.

Like I said, people don't seem to understand what an OS is anymore...

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
This is the exact reason i bought an Air 5 instead of another iPad i never expected the iPad to replace my laptop so instead of paying a higher cost i went with the air, it still was i feel over priced but it's an Apple product.
This is actually my thinking, replace my aging iPad Pro 2018 model (which never proved itself as a Pro device) and just go for the new Air. However I spent some time with an existing Air and I just can’t get over that 60hz screen and the lack of ProMotion. You truly cannot go back, so that’s why Ive ordered the new Pro. It seems such a waste as I’ll always choose my MacBook Pro when it’s time to do any serious work.
There’s no excuse for the Airs still having a 60hz display.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I’d be curious on the stats of how many people own an iPad Pro and a Mac laptop. Does Apple really believe there’s enough of a customer base that will willingly buy both so they make sure the iPad could never replace a Mac? Or is it that iPad’s customer base is grandma all the way up to professional and they’re worried if they make it better for professionals it will be out of reach for grandma?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That sounds like you're praying to the wrong authority. Apps are created by developers. If you want a "full sized" app, request it from the App developer.

Like I said, people don't seem to understand what an OS is anymore...
Does iPad OS allow for apps that have complete or nearly complete feature parity with their Mac counterpart?

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
If you say so... Every conversation I've seen that goes beyond vagaries eventually comes down to "it's not a computer if I can't run anything I want to on it.". They think running MacOS will make it "a computer" in that way. People don't understand what an OS is.
Even running full desktop apps would not give iPadOS feature parity with macOS, iPadOS limits what apps can actually do with the system far more heavily. As I said in another thread about this (there’s so many now), it’s not about having macOS on the iPad specifically, it’s about allowing iPadOS to be flexible enough to adapt to different user workflows instead of demanding all users adapt to the limitations of iPadOS. That kind of change doesn’t require macOS but it does require Apple opening up iPadOS beyond what it has so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.