Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What are your feelings from the new Journal app?

• I absolutely love it!

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Undecided as of yet

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Don't like it. But maybe it could grow on me?!

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I can't believe it's this terrible.

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I know one thing for certain. The Android app is shocking, well that's when it will let me log in and the support from these people so far is non existent.
I never use Android version. It seems, they ported to Android just recently. My usage is limited to iPhone, iPad and Mac, and stored my data in iCloud.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I haven't tried the Journal app yet but I am intrigued by it and am eager to try. I am hoping though that the Journal app feature will also be available on the iPad because to tap away at a nice lengthy detailed entry on the phone is a true PITA. I'd much rather do that on my iPad.

twdawson

macrumors 6502a
I haven't tried the Journal app yet but I am intrigued by it and am eager to try. I am hoping though that the Journal app feature will also be available on the iPad because to tap away at a nice lengthy detailed entry on the phone is a true PITA. I'd much rather do that on my iPad.
That’s exactly what I am hoping for. If it doe not come to iPad then it’s a non starter for me but it needs an import and export option to be taken seriously otherwise it will just get ignored by the serious journal crowd.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005

That’s exactly what I am hoping for. If it doe not come to iPad then it’s a non starter for me but it needs an import and export option to be taken seriously otherwise it will just get ignored by the serious journal crowd.

I just assumed it would also be available on the iPad. Am I crazy to ask for it to be available on the mac too? I do most of my serious typing on a laptop.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I just assumed it would also be available on the iPad. Am I crazy to ask for it to be available on the mac too? I do most of my serious typing on a laptop.

My understanding is that some of the prompts are created as a result of the Journal app knowing some of your health and geolocation data which the iPhone keeps track of and more recently the iPad can access. The Mac doesn't seem to have access to that information so perhaps the Journal app won't be available on it, or it wouldn't receive the same prompts unless the prompts can be remotely generated by your iPhone (or iPad?)? Not sure.....

But yes, I probably type much more often on my Mac too.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
No sir, that was not the intention nor the impression that Apple gave us at the Keynote.
Their Journal app was to have access to certain very personal otherwise unavailable APIs that DayOne or any other Journaling app couldn't since it's not Apple branded.

I still have yet to see these benefits, nor have I seen any of the promised integration with the Apple Shortcuts app.

Sheesh, dude, it’s a version 1 and it’s still in beta.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Just to be clear: You do know that Day One also will prompt you how ever often you want with a prompt to stimulate a journal post. You can very easily attach images, or videos, and even integrate the image metadata into your entry. It also can connect with your workouts via Health app, and include pedometer steps in your entry's metadata, and what's most annoying is that Journal doesn't allow anything near what Day One does when it comes to EXPORT functions. So if you want to quickly export certain notes, or PDF them to share with someone, Day One makes that simple whereas Apple's Journal app makes that impossible as far as I can tell.

Let's also not forget that DayOne actually has Command Line Tools for advanced Mac users who want to automate entries via Terminal.

That’s all nice. And it costs money, too.

If you like Day One, stick with Day One. But that doesn’t mean the Apple Journal app sucks. It just doesn’t have the features YOU want. But it may be perfectly fine for someone else who doesn’t want to (or can’t) shell out the dough for Day One.

Reactions: jpdunn13

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I get very agitated by people who bloviate in these forums about false equivalencies. Comparing the Apple Journal app to Day One is about the same as comparing Reminders to OmniFocus. While these apps play in the same general categories with each other, they are catering to entirely different constituencies. Not everyone has to dive headfirst into the most intense app available in any given product category. That doesn’t make the less complex / less capable app a failure.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
I get very agitated by people who bloviate in these forums about false equivalencies. Comparing the Apple Journal app to Day One is about the same as comparing Reminders to OmniFocus. While these apps play in the same general categories with each other, they are catering to entirely different constituencies. Not everyone has to dive headfirst into the most intense app available in any given product category. That doesn’t make the less complex / less capable app a failure.

while i agree with this , i mean we’re talking about Apple, not an independent developer. At the very least when an app is released by one of the richest companies that is meant for writing, it should be available on all their devices from launch that has writing functionality.

Also exporting is a fairly basic feature for something that has a lot of writing involved with it.

twdawson

macrumors 6502a
while i agree with this , i mean we’re talking about Apple, not an independent developer. At the very least when an app is released by one of the richest companies that is meant for writing, it should be available on all their devices from launch that has writing functionality.

Also exporting is a fairly basic feature for something that has a lot of writing involved with it.
As soon as apples version has all the features then I will jump on it but until then it’s a no from me.

I much prefer first party apps but they have to be capable, it just feels like it was rushed and someone said “ok that will do” so release it.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013

Who knows why they’ve limited it to the iPhone to this point. Until and unless they do not release a version of this app for the other platforms, I’m willing to withhold my judgment.

twdawson

macrumors 6502a
I have been entering data in to this app for the last week and enjoying it but this morning I opened the app and there was no data there and it asked me if I wanted to start journaling.

i hope this is better when 17.2 is officially released.

jpdunn13

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2022
I don’t seem to be able to copy and paste text into the journal app for whatever reason.
That’s a big limiting factor in using this app.

Can anyone else paste text into it.
I was able to copy & paste it into the Journal. I copied the text from a journal.pages file into Notes, then copy and paste into Journal. I was unable to copy directly from the pages file. I guess pasting into Notes removed some hidden codes. I was then able to click the ... at the top and set a custom date. I pasted a couple entries from 2001. When I have more time I may paste everything I have in the pages file, not sure I really have that much time to kill.

Davidglenn

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
I was able to copy & paste it into the Journal. I copied the text from a journal.pages file into Notes, then copy and paste into Journal. I was unable to copy directly from the pages file. I guess pasting into Notes removed some hidden codes. I was then able to click the ... at the top and set a custom date. I pasted a couple entries from 2001. When I have more time I may paste everything I have in the pages file, not sure I really have that much time to kill.
Thanks, I can write in Notes on my MBP and paste it into Journal. This makes it so much easier if you are writing a longer post.

Not sure how long I will continue using Jouranl after both the novelty and I have been travelling since Beta 1. As I am travelling Journal has given me a reason to write something at least daily. Copy and pasting from Notes has made this easier.

Reactions: gwhizkids

Bazza1

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Pen and paper. Get yourself a good fountain pen and a journal with quality paper. It’s a much better journaling experience.
I know we've lost cursive to a generation who have become glorified secretaries, but from a flow-of-thought and memory retention POV, if Journal accepted your handwriting (and, if necessary, transcribed it to print afterwards) it would be a true journaling experience. This, by all reports I've read, is not. Its an oversexed Notes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.