Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you having second thoughts about your 10.5in iPad Pro?

• Total voters

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I just received the 10.5 iPad Pro today, and it's gorgeous. When first turning it on I said " this screen is amazing"; but I couldn't help thinking to myself - hey, if it looks great on this 10.5in screen, it's got to look even better on a 12.9 iPad Pro.

I recently sold my MBP to replace my iPad Pro 9.7 and 13" MBP combo with the new surface pro or iPad Pro. With the new iOS 11 changes, I can't help to think I'd be much happier video editing, photo editing and multitasking on the 12.9 in iPad Pro.

I think this new iPad Pro 12.9 with 512gb SSD and iOS 11 will be able to do what my gen 1 12.9 in iPad Pro wasn't able to do. I don't think the 10.5 in iPad Pro will work as my only mobile device or a laptop replacement.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm actually purchasing the 10.5 for my mobile device and the 12.9 for more stationary. I don't forsee the 10.5 iPad as being my desktop replacement due to the 50/50 iPhone user interface, as the 12.9 Pro will actually use the iPad interface and will serve better as a multitasking device for my needs. I do plan on adding a Smart Keyboard for the 12.9 to complete the desktop experience.

Having both the 10.5 and 12.9 allows me to have the best of both.

Canceled
Jun 5, 2017
I didn't vote but I feel like I can add some relevant input. I never had that much exposure to the 12.9. I had the 9.7 IPP before this and an Air before that. I thought the 12.9 looked huge in all of the YouTbue videos in comparison. But of course it would when put next to a 9.7".

I was able to see the 12.9 a few times at my work but never had the chance to actually legitimately work with it. I went to the Apple Store and determined 12.9's "lapability" with the Smart Keyboard and then I decided to take the plunge--and I am glad I did.

The 12.9 is great, plain and simple. Right now I am typing this with the full-sized digital keyboard on my lap and it is actually good. I have a lot of the real estate and I can have two IPad split screen UIs unlike the 9.7 or the 10.5. Once iOS 11 comes out it will be even better.

Of course everyone has their own needs and preferences but I don't reget getting the 12.9 at all. Obviously it is not as compact and it weighs more but that is the trade off.

va1984

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
I used to have the first generation 12.9" and 9.7" iPad Pro at the same time and loved it. It is the most flexible set up, and even if you end up taking both on a day out, you're nowhere near as heavy as a guy with a 15" MacBook Pro, for example.
Today I received both a new 12.9 and a 10.5. The idea was that I'd either return the 12.9, sell my current 9.7 pro and keep the 10.5 as the sole mobile computer, or on the contrary keep only the 12.9. Yet I may end up keeping both -- maybe, hopefully, perhaps, I'll be reasonable enough to keep the old 9.7" pro instead of the 10.5". But reasonability isn't my strength when it comes to iPads.

I will say though, in my opinion the Smart Keyboard for the 12.9" doesn't make my sense, because I am as fast on the on screen keyboard (~70 wpm according to typingtest.com) yet still much slower than on a Magic Keyboard (~80 wpm). So for me, I think I will go with the Smart Cover, and a magic keyboard with Canopy in the bag, so that for serious typing I can use the serious keyboard.

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
I just received the 10.5 iPad Pro today, and it's gorgeous. When first turning it on I said " this screen is amazing"; but I couldn't help thinking to myself - hey, if it looks great on this 10.5in screen, it's got to look even better on a 12.9 iPad Pro.

I recently sold my MBP to replace my iPad Pro 9.7 and 13" MBP combo with the new surface pro or iPad Pro. With the new iOS 11 changes, I can't help to think I'd be much happier video editing, photo editing and multitasking on the 12.9 in iPad Pro.

I think this new iPad Pro 12.9 with 512gb SSD and iOS 11 will be able to do what my gen 1 12.9 in iPad Pro wasn't able to do. I don't think the 10.5 in iPad Pro will work as my only mobile device or a laptop replacement.
You can't be serious. Wouldn't trade it for the 12.9 at any price.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
I've been using both now for a while, with iOS 11 on both of them. It's a tough call. Those who like the 12.9 will love this with iOS 11 (trust me). It's just more real estate.

The 10.5 is better than the old model's design also, which makes the upgrade path easy.

It's pretty funny how these work pretty good with the first beta. But considering we are a long ways off from a finished product, it's a bit of a pickle. Good thing it's stable. I ain't going back (I don't think...:confused: )

Reactions: MisterMillz

jacklivehere

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Utopia
Bought 10.5 iPad Pro Silver with Cellular 512GB.
-Upgrading from Air 2, This feels like awesome upgrade.

But after comparing with 12.9 Space Gray, confused
-Keyboard works well with 12.9 , spacing , typing etc
-Screen Size on 12.9 looks awesome
-But not sure if its worth $200 upgrade.

Will try 10.5 for a week before making decision to upgrade

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
i thought about the 10.5 but the new IOS 11 features i think will really take advantage of the masive 12.9 screen so thats what i went with
This is my main thinking too. My other is that I notice that it isn't as easy to type with two thumbs as it was on the 9.7 again. Yes I can split the keyboard, but I might as well just go big for iOS 11. I had this same issue with the iPhone 6 vs 6 plus on release. I'm glad I returned the 6, and went for the larger 6 plus.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Didn't vote because my 10.5 comes tomorrow, so I can't say for sure yet. I'm staying away from the 12.9 because I had an original iPad and thought that was too bulky to really take out of the house much. I have an original Mini, and I love the portability but don't love the lack of power (it just hung for about 10 seconds just trying to type this out). I'm thinking the 10.5 will hit the sweet spot. The only thing that has me second guessing is the inability to have two iPad interfaces side-by-side.

Also, I tried the keyboard cover for the 12.9 in the store the other day. While I was fine with the key travel, I thought the spacing between the keys was weird. It seemed like the keys were spaced correctly, but that they were too small. I wanted there to be less of a gap between them.

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Whatever works best for you. I hope you enjoy! I'll probably be recommending the 12.9 to my mom to replace her Toshiba laptop from 2011.

As for me, I got my 10.5 Wednesday night and it seems to be a good fit so far. Not sure that I could hold this thing for two hours while reading or watching a movie, but I never did that before.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
No way. I still need my iPad Pro to function as a nice compact iPad too. I just can't wrap my head around using that giant 12.9" screen at night in bed while reading or catching up on shows. If I need a huge screen for something, I have a company provided Macbook Air hooked up to two giant monitors in my office. 99% of the time the 9.7" iPad Pro was serving my needs just fine, and now the 10.5" is taking its place. I love that they were able to make the screen so much bigger while barely making the iPad itself bigger.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No way. I still need my iPad Pro to function as a nice compact iPad too. I just can't wrap my head around using that giant 12.9" screen at night in bed while reading or catching up on shows. If I need a huge screen for something, I have a company provided Macbook Air hooked up to two giant monitors in my office. 99% of the time the 9.7" iPad Pro was serving my needs just fine, and now the 10.5" is taking its place. I love that they were able to make the screen so much bigger while barely making the iPad itself bigger.

Some have found comfortable ways to manage the 12.9 iPad laying down or other positions. I see the 12.9 iPad being used in conjunction more with the Smart Keyboard. That way I can leave it on my desk or other surfaces. It's likely going to stay in spot for most of the time.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I will never decide on a 13 inch iPad basically ( yes I know it's 12.9 but I'm rounding ) because I already have a device with that size . I have a MacBook Pro and I prefer it over an iPad . Also I find the 10.5 to be a bit to big in landscape mode. I also find the 12.9 to be to bug for portable use .

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I will never decide on a 13 inch iPad basically ( yes I know it's 12.9 but I'm rounding ) because I already have a device with that size . I have a MacBook Pro and I prefer it over an iPad . Also I find the 10.5 to be a bit to big in landscape mode. I also find the 12.9 to be to bug for portable use .

So what's the plan then? 9.7?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I kinda agree tho.

I don't like the 10.5 landscape keyboard it's not comfortable for my hands

Me either but for short typing it's tolerable for now . This is the first time I've really used the iPad so I'll give it some time before deciding . I do have 30 days to return it as a Best Buy elite member .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.