Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you having second thoughts about your 10.5in iPad Pro?

• Total voters

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
As someone who’s been going back and forth I’ve decided to stick with the 10.5.

The smaller iPad is perfect for holding. People say the extra weight doesn’t matter, but everyone who claims this also state they’ve found round about ways to prop it or never really use it like a hand held tablet.

The larger screen is nice and gives you more room for multi tasking, but I only use the multitask feature like 20% of the time at most. The other 80% I’m browsing or reading with music/podcast/PiP video running. In those situation being able to comfortably hold the iPad for extended periods for the time takes president.

I find people who claim the 10.5 iPad being too small to be useful a little vexing. Most people have no issue using their 5’ screen smart phones as their primary computers these days without much discomfort. How can more than doubling the display size not be enough space?

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
If you have trouble holding 670 grams in your hands, it says more about you than other people. It's only 670 grams.

And yes, I have even played a few games on the 12.9 iPad Pro without much trouble which involved rotating the 12.9 iPad Pro constantly in my hands.

Reactions: Precursor

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The smaller iPad is perfect for holding. People say the extra weight doesn’t matter, but everyone who claims this also state they’ve found round about ways to prop it or never really use it like a hand held tablet.

I find people who claim the 10.5 iPad being too small to be useful a little vexing. Most people have no issue using their 5’ screen smart phones as their primary computers these days without much discomfort. How can more than doubling the display size not be enough space?
Why would you be vexed by other people's personal preferences? When folks say the 10.5 is too small, the "for me" is implied.

As for being perfect for holding, personally, I already find 450g too heavy for marathon reading sessions. My limit for single handed use is iPad mini (300g) so neither 10.5 nor 12.9 is ideal in that respect.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I bought a used 12.9" 1st gen for $500, 128GB cellular. For primary desktop use.

I'll keep that at work along with my 10.5 at home

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I was at a friend's house all weekend--he has a first gen 12.9" iPad Pro with ASK and Silicone Cover on the back. Basically the same setup I had on my 9.7" and currently have on my 10.5" Pro (except swap the Silicone Cover with the Tech21 cover).

We were there for about 2 1/2 days, so I kept grabbing his iPad and messing around with it every chance I got. I used apps in split view, played videos, did some typing, etc. All the stuff I use my smaller Pro for. I do have to admit that I LOVE the size of the 12.9" Pro. If I had to judge it solely on screen size, that's the one I would buy.........but I have to judge it on more than that.

Weight/bulk is the main hurdle I can't get over. I know a pound and a half isn't that heavy, and it's certainly lighter than carrying around a Macbook Pro, but I just don't feel the same nimbleness with that weight as I do with my smaller iPad Pro. And yes, I'm sure I could get used to using that behemoth for watching videos and stuff in bed, but that just doesn't seem like a super great experience to me. (I know some of you videophiles will tell me this is the craziest thing you've ever heard.)

Also, I really don't feel like the split view function is that much better on the 12.9" than it is on the 10.5". Yes, everything is bigger and you get the full size app view on each side, but I'm not sure that translates to "better" for me, even for Office documents. It seems like roughly the same experience, even though I know it technically isn't. The truth is, I've never found split view ideal on Macs OR iPads. I think it's more useful on an iPad than a Mac for sure, but I almost never use 50/50 split view, and I don't think I ever would on the 12.9" either. I use the 75/25 view all the time though, and I'm perfectly fine with how it functions on the 10.5".

These are just my opinions--I certainly understand why people love the 12.9" Pro. I love it myself. It's just not the one I prefer. If the new generation of iPad Pros were 9.7" and 12.9" again, I think I definitely would have gone 12.9" this time around. But the 10.5" Pro is the perfect mix of business and pleasure for me. That's the size I'm probably going to stick with for the foreseeable future. (And no--this is not confirmation bias to feel better about my purchase. If I wanted to order a 12.9" iPad Pro right now, I could do it without my wife even yelling at me about it that much.)

Works4Me

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Canada
I'm really enjoying my new 12.9. I've had it a month now. But I moved up from a 9.7. That said, after looking at a 10.5 in the store, the 12.i9 just seemed like a better choice. I mark a lot of assignments every term (mostly from grad students). I have students submit them as pdfs or convert them myself. Using PDF Pro and an Apple pencil works so well for me on a 12.9. So far I'm very happy. It's not as portable, true, but overall, it's great for my needs. I even enjoy casual reading on the web more on it (sitting at the table eating breakfast, for example). So, like everyone always says, it's what works best for you...

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Why would you be vexed by other people's personal preferences? When folks say the 10.5 is too small, the "for me" is implied.

As for being perfect for holding, personally, I already find 450g too heavy for marathon reading sessions. My limit for single handed use is iPad mini (300g) so neither 10.5 nor 12.9 is ideal in that respect.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I guess I did a poor job explaining myself. I was saying I think it’s weird that I see comments pop up occasionally from 12.9” users that say the 10.5” is unusable when the phone that they spend a ton of time on is 5” or less.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I wish the 12.9 had seen a reduction in the bezels.
As I would have chosen it without question.

It will be interesting to see what future iPads bring.
As if they lose the home button in favour to face recognition like the IPhone X, then that could also help reduce the bezels.

I wouldn’t even mind sacrificing a mm or 2extra in the thickness, if we could loose the large bezels on the 12.9

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I wish the 12.9 had seen a reduction in the bezels.
As I would have chosen it without question.

It will be interesting to see what future iPads bring.
As if they lose the home button in favour to face recognition like the IPhone X, then that could also help reduce the bezels.

I wouldn’t even mind sacrificing a mm or 2extra in the thickness, if we could loose the large bezels on the 12.9

am I the only one that likes the 12.9 bezels?

or doesn't mind, alternatively.

Reactions: subjonas

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
am I the only one that likes the 12.9 bezels?

or doesn't mind, alternatively.

I agree. At times I want to be able to handle my iPad without touching or covering the screen. I don’t know how that would be possible without bezels.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I agree. At times I want to be able to handle my iPad without touching or covering the screen. I don’t know how that would be possible without bezels.

When I tried 10.5 evencwigh palm rejection I had to be cautious to not block my view in portrait holding the thing

Then in ASK / landscape mode which is how I use my 12.9 90 percent of the time it's quite a bit different screen real estate/experience wise...

But even grabbing the sides in landscape, I appreciate the bezel buffer for as big as the screen is

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Love my 10.5, I use it for school with the Pencil, but every time I pick up my wife’s 12.9 I wonder if I should’ve gone with the bigger one. I will say the 10.5 is perfect for portability and I didn’t realize how much larger the 10.5 screens looks when next to my daughter’s iPad Air.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I opted for the 10.5 since it's the "smallest" modern iPad Apple makes for on the go computing . If Apple made a mini pro, I would get that, and then switch my 10.5 to the 12.9 since for home use

Coxy

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2013
I've recently gone back from a 12.9 to the 10.5 for the same reasons that most complain about; portability, weight, one handed use etc.

Personally for my use cases in a work environment the 12.9 was fine sat on a desk for most of the day. But now with the 10.5 I find I actually use it more as I take it with me more places and use it for more work related tasks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Personally for my use cases in a work environment the 12.9 was fine sat on a desk for most of the day. But now with the 10.5 I find I actually use it more as I take it with me more places and use it for more work related tasks.
I definitly find the 10.5 to be more portable, and certainly more holdable. I've been rocking with the 10.5 for some time, and after my earlier dalliance with the 12.9, I've not looked back :)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Still tempted to get a 10.5 to go with my 12.9 for out and about and at work sometimes it’s easier to use the smaller version while the 12.9 would stay at home.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I sometimes have trouble viewing two apps with split screen on my 12.9. I don’t know how you would even attempt it with a 10.5!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.